The "Pull Back," The "Run Up," and The "Jump"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lia41985

Brian,

This movement pattern you are referring to is exactly what Dr. Scott Lephart from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has been discovering with many of the Tour stars he has tested with their pressure plates and 3D. He actually has found that many top players initially move into the left side beyond the original point and then actually shift BACKWARD just prior to impact and then the momentum of the club moving past themselves causes them to "finish" the weight onto the front side.

The weight actually stutters slightly from right side at the top to left to slightly back and then back forward. I think there is some evidence young Mr. McIlroy does something very similar.
Also confirmed at Stanford:
"There's a theory that on the downswing you should push off hard with the left foot, snapping the knee straight," says Dr. Lewis Keller, a golfing friend of McCord's and a physicist at Stanford's National Accelerator Laboratory. "The left shoulder is pushed upward, which causes the shoulders to rotate faster, which causes torque. The trick is keeping the head on plane. Laura Davies does it. Tiger does it, which I think led to the knee trouble. And Jamie does it."
From: Jamie Sadlowski is longest hitter in golf history - Tours & News - Golf.com

I think that the jump is not something that you do, it is something that happens. Swing really hard and you will find that your left side unweights. Try it sometime.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I think that the jump is not something that you do, it is something that happens. Swing really hard and you will find that your left side unweights. Try it sometime.

Totally disagree.

Just worked with "a really good player" and he has to feel the jump.

ZAP

New
Totally agree with Brian. Even though he laughed at me a little when I described what I felt on a particular swing. The jump for me is totally volitional.

lia41985

So much jump:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/84_1DySza4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FvJykxOx0hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

leon

New
Is the lower left shoulder just a result of starting the downswing with a squat move, or is there more to it than that?

I haven't had time to read this entire thread yet so forgive me if someone has brought this up before. And also forgive me because I have no proof of anything I'm about to write. Just personal observations and things I have read.

It seems to me that proper balance during the entire swing will produce most of the results seen in the pictures posted here. The entire sequence that is being discussed reminds me a little bit of Gravity Golf ala David Lee. The squat on the down swing is a result of maintaining balance as the arms and club swing in front of the body. The jump is a result of keeping the head behind the ball as force is applied down and out on the golf shaft.

If a player didn't do these things, allow for the weight of the club and arms and keep the head behind the ball, then the run up and jump would be less visible. As a result the player would be some degree of out of balance and would not be able to deliver as much force into the ball.

Usually it is because you don't have your hands far enough forward so the club bottoms out earlier

Interesting, I would have thought it could be just the opposite because the leading edge would cause the dig instead of the bounce on the club deflecting a dig.

Does the feel of the jump change from player to player? It would seem like the higher-faster you can jump the later you would want to attempt to do so? Or does the feeling of when to jump have a trigger point in the swing?

hp12c

New
I had to post because I've stuck the club in the ground a few times and its been gnawing at me, usually an iron. Today I did it again and pops tell me " You squatted but stayed squatted" ding! rang the bell in my head. No jump club stuck in the ground, jump and the ball takes off or as pops says, "we have lift off". Pops does'nt like my high ball flight especially when hes losing.:) I should give him more strokes..

Status
Not open for further replies.