The "Pull Back," The "Run Up," and The "Jump"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian , I think you need to elaborate some more. What Andrew said is correct if the sequece is good. This is not a ground breaking developement, I was helping a mid caper today that at the start of the downswing the left shoulder and upper body would be up and out of the shot, once he started keeping the left shoulder down at the start he looked alot better. With this most high capers don't know how the hands work, the right hand was working under as in most , so we also worked on getting the right palm down mid way, all of a sudden everthing was really good. I agree this does not come natural for most , but most good players do it, maybe not perfect but but do it. good topic but needs more explaning

I completely disagree.

It WILL NOT "just happen" in most golf swings.

No way.

Sorry Brian I should have clarified more...

I agree it will not happen in most swings because they are out of sequence, i.e. the "average" golfer leads with the shoulders, which is why most golfers are pullers/slicers/faders....if they could delay the impulse to drive with the shoulders, then all things being equal, the other parts "happen naturally" or "take care of themselves"....

JD

6sba6oyb90.bmp

Hmmm..

How about that pink hat! Wow, circa '94

Interesting how much his hips have moved from pic 2 to 3....and his shoulders have just been dragged along for the ride.....
Right heel up on impact...not much weight on that side then...:)

No FLW except at impact...a bit Jack (POW) Hammish...

hula hoop....explain please?

Look back at post 45 in this thread. Imagine the bottom of your swing radius is swinging on a hula hoop - that's the "hula hoop" Brian is talking about. If the bottom of your swing radius is the bottom of a hula hoop then when you get in the Run Up position like John Daly you would, if you swung from that position without the jump up, stick the hula hoop/swing swing radius and the club way into the ground. The jump up moves the hula hoop up so you aren't on a path that would hypothetically take a 5 inch deep divot.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
Look back at post 45 in this thread. Imagine the bottom of your swing radius is swinging on a hula hoop - that's the "hula hoop" Brian is talking about. If the bottom of your swing radius is the bottom of a hula hoop then when you get in the Run Up position like John Daly you would, if you swung from that position without the jump up, stick the hula hoop/swing swing radius and the club way into the ground. The jump up moves the hula hoop up so you aren't on a path that would hypothetically take a 5 inch deep divot.

Great explanation. For a nice visual, notice how Daly's hips have lowered a few inches in the third frame compared to the second and first frames, and how they have popped up in the fourth frame.

got it and it makes sense...thanks!

Could this explain why when I try to hit down on the ball, I end up digging into the ground, because I'm not doing the jump?

Do I need to do this "The "Pull Back," The "Run Up," and The "Jump"" stuff...I just want to break 100 and then 90 and then I'm done/happy. If I could shoot 90 consistently, I'd be the happiest guy in the world (golf-wise)!

Do I need to do this "The "Pull Back," The "Run Up," and The "Jump"" stuff...I just want to break 100 and then 90 and then I'm done/happy. If I could shoot 90 consistently, I'd be the happiest guy in the world (golf-wise)!

A. No, you don't need to have these components in your swing in order to break 90.

B. You do realize that just about EVERY golfer in the world who has said what you say above (about JUST wanting to break 90) and who then went on to break 90 have ALL FOUND that they then "just wanted to break 80."

And that the golfers who can break 80 ALL FOUND that they "just wanted to be able to shoot in the mid-70s consistently".

And the golfers who could shoot in the mid-70s "just wanted to get to scratch some day."

And the scratch golfers all wondered "could I shoot under par consistently."

And the ones who shoot under par all wonder "could I make it on a mini-tour."

I can continue this all the way to Tiger Woods JUST wanting to break Jack's records!!!!

PM,
A wise old guy once told me that just about any golfer could be into single figures by only carrying clubs from 5 -iron down to SW...:)

Ok, but is that true?

If you can hit to far enough I'm assuming, or play from the front tees. Some of the courses around here you'd lose your ball since you can't carry the hazard. I know because my longest club is a 19* at the moment :p.

I guess the question I have after looking at this move, and the positions is simply is this a common move among long drivers? Or a better question maybe is it a REQUIREMENT to generate the clubhead speed these guys in long driving competitions do? I looked at other long drivers their swings and stills and see similarities. I dont think my eyes are trained enough to see what the similarities are, but there seems to be similar postions at least w/ left shoulder.

My take is that the PR&J is also a way to get the right side of your body out of the way.

You are bascially swinging around your right leg in the backswing and the left leg in the downswing.

The Pull Back sets you up in the backswing. The Run Up and Jump gets you on the correct downswing path with speed.

So the PB&J is: a way to get out of your way in a powerful way.

More important with a driver? To a degree. We know from Trackman that we should swing a little more from the inside with a slighly upward path through the ball. So there is a little more clearing required.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
I guess the question I have after looking at this move, and the positions is simply is this a common move among long drivers? Or a better question maybe is it a REQUIREMENT to generate the clubhead speed these guys in long driving competitions do? I looked at other long drivers their swings and stills and see similarities. I dont think my eyes are trained enough to see what the similarities are, but there seems to be similar postions at least w/ left shoulder.

It is obviously a very athletic move and I would be surprised if any really long driver didn't do something along these lines. When Jim McLean published his "Triple X-Factor" article a couple of years ago, he talked about left hip rise in the downswing and, if my memory is correct, Cabrera had the most of the players they measured.

If you want to see a REAL jump, take a look at this SwingVision of Bubba Watson. At the finish, BOTH feet are off the ground: he looks like he is floating! Love the swing, BTW; I'd never looked at it closely before.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gko2xseCauc[/media]

Status
Not open for further replies.