The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Awesome video by Jacobs. Now I know why I sucked so much when I used to try to lean the shaft forward. Note to self... pressing hands forward along the target line equals slices, shanks, and bad scores.

Ive had such a struggle trying to get people not to do this over the years. Its such a battle.

I wouldn't call this stuff revolutionary but its great to all the AVERAGE golfers who try to forward lean there hands 4 inches in front of the ball. Jack Nicklaus and other greats knew this decades ago. I do like how he points out what we see in camera angles compared to what really happens- once again the need of 3d images.
The people who are jumping to the range immediately trying this is nothing new from what Brian and his staff teaches or already figured out.
What would be interesting to show us is his way of accelerating the club post impact then we would have some fun.

I am trying to assimilate this information. Is one way to think about it is to think that the hand path begins to go up and in at the low point of the hands? The point is to monitor the movement of the hands rather than the movement of the club. I also wondered what the relation of this video is to the Tumble? Any help on that?

Some tumble at the beginning some in the middle some very late. Sooner or later the club will come in front no matter what the choice is yours. The strenght of your wrists could be a factor.

I honestly do not know the answer to this question, but...can you 'conserve' momentum? That is what has always screwed me up in the discussion.

3JACK

In the video of Watson he really lets the club release and Tom was long back in his day but the average golfer trying this hits the brakes post impact so when he see's this on film goes back to leaning the shaft. Tom keeps the clum moving.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "tumble" is caused by the proper AWAY FROM THE TARGET movement of the hands from the top.

If the hands move too much toward the target line, the weight of the club REVERSE TUMBLES the left arm and club.

Got it?

Everone always talks about "forward shaft lean", but the more accurate measurement of "lag" is the angle of the shaft to a straight line from the left shoulder to the hands at impact. With the same "lag angle", the forward lean could be just about anything, depending on ball position. And virtually all great ball-strikers exhibit a lag angle at impact. About 5* is average. The lag angle at impact has a HUGE effect on the location of the low point, and thus the Angle of Attack. One of the most common flaws of the average player is an Attack Angle which is not sufficiently descending, especially with irons and wedges. Ultimately, as teachers, we are judged by our ability to improve collision conditions. Sorry, but I can't say that I will be utilizing any of the concepts presented in that video to help my students acheive a more forward swing bottom.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
You will then be doing your students a disservice. This video actually makes my swing "look" more laggy (even though it feels less so) and my divots are shallower and still very much in front of the ball.

The only part I feel Jacobs messed up was trying to differentiate avid players from tour players. I would beg to differ. I watched several tour pro videos after viewing the Jacobs video. What I saw was no active movement of the hands toward the target.

So this first move MJ was demonstrating (for my clarification's sake) is a lengthwise move of the hands/handle, and not a move of the clubhead, correct?

I wonder if Michael Finney was holding out on this info?

To think I knew this from a physics standpoint already long ago...I had always tried to keep my body from going forward and attempt to bring my hands through as fast as possible. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Gee, thanks Al. I TRUSTED YOU! A TOUR player! MR. 59! *sigh*

A side note: owners of the Orange Whip would do well to remove the weight from the handle. The weight positions the mass too much towards the handle.

Last edited:

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
I took some extra time and mapped out the illustrations on the swing below. I will make some more of these even on the high end players who have more forward lean so we have many samples.

The Yellow Dots in the swing clip are the portion of the golf club where the 2 hands are joined and coupled together. The 'Couple Point' is the key concentration point and the point of maximum interest. If you put your concentration on the right forefinger or the butt of the club you will get inaccurate shapes of reference that will result in disaster. At the GTE in October I will launch the idea and descriptions in full scale.

I took some extra time and mapped out the illustrations on the swing below. I will make some more of these even on the high end players who have more forward lean so we have many samples.

The Yellow Dots in the swing clip are the portion of the golf club where the 2 hands are joined and coupled together. The 'Couple Point' is the key concentration point and the point of maximum interest. If you put your concentration on the right forefinger or the butt of the club you will get inaccurate shapes of reference that will result in disaster. At the GTE in October I will launch the idea and descriptions in full scale.

Mike,

As a practical matter, how should someone go about working on this specific feel of "away from the target" at the top, and allowing the club to "line up and square up" by moving that point between the hands up and in after our back leg? What feelings should we be chasing or avoiding? I know that is really general, but I'm kind of seeking some guidance as a starting point.

Also, is the feel of "allowing the club to line up" going to feel a little "flippy" after impact when practiced by someone who's been spending too much time on forward lean, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.