The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the pro that kinda held my hand while I was beginning the game brought something up with me today that kinda piqued my interest. This is the same pro who has 125mph clubhead speed with the driver and can't get it to turn over. He has been experimenting with a more "active hands" release, if I were to call it anything. They had the Speed Whoosh training tool thing at the pro shop and he was screwing around with it, talking about timing and whatever. Getting the ball to deploy at the bottom. I recently have been practicing a kind of Stricker type feeling swing where I use absolutely no active hand rotation whatsoever, I just swing my arms a la TGM style I'd guess you'd say. Keep my impact hands ahead of the clubhead what feels like well through the ball while just rotating everything through. I'm trying to get rid of my flip because this adding loft to the clubface is killing me and it stinks to play golf flipping at the ball.

When I swing the Speed Whoosh, it deploys well past the ball, at the point where you'd call "Follow Through" if you were talking about it in TGM terms I think. Whatever the point is when both arms are straight and extended past the ball. Does this mean anything as far as clubhead speed at the ball is concerned? Am I letting the energy go late and should it ideally be deploying at the bottom?

Swinging wide was the biggest help ever.....

I kept thinkign about lagging the club head, but what i end up doing is dragging an open club face all the way to the finish.

I never even use my right side of the body (i.e. right hand or shoulder). Just dragging the club with my left side ain't no gooddddd

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Lag is the RESULT of a proper "release."

A proper Kinetic Sequence is the RESULT of a proper "release."

75% of all the speed in your golf swing comes from your shoulder complexes, your arms, your wrists, and your hands.

:)

Here's where I'm at in my self-discovery.........An object, like a clubhead, or a point on the grip, which is swung in a circular arc, will reach its lowest point when it lines up its center of rotation. If the hands are swung STRICTLY by torso rotation, the they will reach their lowest point when they line up with the upper sternum on the plane of the hand swing, because that's the center of the torso rotation. And great players are leading the club into impact mostly with torso rotation, and perhaps minimal forward left arm swing from the left shoulder joint, explaining why the lowest point of the hand arc is being found to be in-line with a point that is near the upper sternum. IF their was no bending of the left wrist approaching impact, then the clubhead would reach ITS lowest point when it also lined up with the center of the system which was rotating it. This would be at the same in-line point as the bottom of the hand arc, but by the time the clubhead reaches that point, the hands will be well past that point and on their way up, assuming that the clubhead is properly behing the hands. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the clubshaft is ALWAYS unhinging from the left arm approaching impact. The Conservation of Angular Momemtum tells us that as the energy is passed to the clubhead in the final stages approaching impact, the hands slow. And the movement of the clubshaft just before impact is almost entirely from the wrists. The location of the axis of THIS system of rotation, at the hands, will have a HUGE effect on the ultimate location of the lowest point of the clubhead arc. The farther along the shaft has unhinged at the wrists by impact, the less descending the Attack Angle will be, when the lowest point of the hand arc is constant. If their was only one system of rotation which was swinging the clubhead, then locating the lowest point would be simple.......it would always be in-line with the center of rotation. But ALL of the axes of rotation.....uppers sternum, left shoulder, and hands are influencing the ultimate location of the clubhead low point. The location of the axis at the wrists is HUGELY influential and as important as ever.

Last edited:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mfDasDW1RbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. It seems the TGM ship was jumped off like the Titanic. Funny stuff. Thanks for this, Brian. When I was at the range trying to really thrust impact hands and forward lean into the ball I just got big time shanks or a heel shot at best. My best contact was made when I just had a wide takeaway and really tried to reach through impact and well beyond the ball, without manipulating the clubhead with my hands.

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
That video by Jacobs is gold.

Stay wide and line it up. Lag is something we "see" and try to incorporate. What is seen and what is felt are two different things. Lusting after the appearance of "lag" has wasted many a golfers time.

Wasted nearly a year on it. I might break 80 in only a years worth of playing time if I can get my one putts to fall this week, mostly thanks to this site...and the putt putt/arcade where I used to play Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat growing up.

Hmm...so the answer to my question is yes, the Speed Whoosh should deploy at the bottom. Is that right?

Last edited:
Wasted nearly a year on it. I might break 80 in only a years worth of playing time if I can get my one putts to fall this week, mostly thanks to this site...and the putt putt/arcade where I used to play Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat growing up.

Hmm...so the answer to my question is yes, the Speed Whoosh should deploy at the bottom. Is that right?

werddddddddddddddd

Awesome video by Jacobs. Now I know why I sucked so much when I used to try to lean the shaft forward. Note to self... pressing hands forward along the target line equals slices, shanks, and bad scores.

ej20

New
I don't like to think of lag or holding an angle or even lag pressure.I prefer to work on the principle of a late or early release.How late or early you need to perceive this release is up to the individual.The rare animal who naturally releases too late needs to work on the perception of an early release.The golf swing is full of illusions and quite often you need to create an illusion to counter one.

Every player who has a bent right elbow and a cocked left wrist at the top and in transition has "lag".Nobody needs to create it.It's where you perceive to release it that matters.The TGM method of dragging a wet mop through impact and sustaining the line of compression well into the follow through is neither an early or late release.It is no release and clubhead speed is compromised.

Also the release is not just the uncocking of the left wrist.It is also the straightening of the right arm.Most people see the late uncocking of the left wrist as a snap release but you can also have a late straightening of the right arm.A snap release of the right arm so to speak or more commonly known as "not running out of right arm".David Toms is a sweep releaser of the left wrist cock but a snap releaser of the right arm.

A sweep releaser of the left wrist will need to make it up with a snap release of the right arm.Early releasing both is disastrous.

The good player that can snap release both may often have too much of a good thing going and in fixing their own problems translate that to lesser players who don't have the same problems and then wonder why it doesn't work for them.

Wow...this stuff is just nuts. I have to be up in less than 6 hours and I really want to go to the all night driving range haha.

Dariusz J.

Lag is just a simple physical phenomenon. Such as release also is one. There is NOTHING magical in it.
The video is good to dispell wrong myth of huge forward shaft lean, besides nowadays I am literally puking when I see all these TGM faulty infos that ruin swings despite forcing golfers on wasting thousands of hours on the range.
And, finally, Brian is right - COAM does not apply to the golf swing. It could apply to the downswing phase only but the concept seems to be useless in the view of the fact that there are strong external forces acting here and one cannot isolate the system.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.