Tiger Disqualified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

66er

New
So much for Augusta not needing to answer to anybody like the Eisenhower tree etc. They choked this decision big time. DQ no question here it's not even a debate.

Arnie and Venturi

The Masters has shown an occasional willingness to protect their stars. 1958 Masters Arnie is forbidden to take a drop by a rules official. After making a double, he decides he wants to play a second ball and makes par. A Rules official and Ken Venturi both told him he couldn't do that, but he did it anyway and the Rules committee let him get away with it. Ken Venturi says that Clifford Roberts and Bobby Jones both told him later that Palmer should not have been given the favorable rulings.

Last edited:

ej20

New
So much for Augusta not needing to answer to anybody like the Eisenhower tree etc. They choked this decision big time. DQ no question here it's not even a debate.

"The decision to assess the penalty -- rather than disqualify Woods for signing an incorrect scorecard -- comes after Rule 33-7/4.5 was changed in 2011 to read that if a player unknowingly signs for an incorrect score he will be assessed a penalty rather than be disqualified."

This is really interesting to me, as the question now is does this set a new precedent. Moving forward can a player violate rules, sign an incorrect scorecard and just be assessed a penalty as long as it is "unknowingly"

The most mind boggling thing to me is that they SAW it... were fine with it.... then heard his interview and changed their minds.

Really? So if you see one thing and hear another, you believe what you heard? GMAFB

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here is MY point:

No TV, no problem.

But, we have TV and someone called in on the wrong drop.

The Masters committee made a mistake not saying ANYTHING to Tiger. If they bring it up, even to tell him they weren't penalizing him, he may have realized he made the mistake.

So.....there ya go.

I'm left scratching my head on a lot associated with this story, but probably the biggest head scratcher is how does a player (any player) on this level, on this stage, at this course, with these caddies, and with that many officials present botch a drop from a water hazard? It's not an obscure, once in a career rule... there's only 3 options, right? I would guess this rule and cart paths would be the most common drop in golf. Just seems surprising.

Ironically, TV may have saved Tiger in this case. Had the viewer not alerted the committee, then they may not have made the incorrect ruling to begin with, so when it becomes an issue after Tiger's interview (and it may not have it, but I'm betting someone else would have picked up on it) then Tiger would have probably been disqualified. The TV 'whistleblower' may have saved Tiger's day.

After getting a penalty and DQ'd a couple of months for a bad drop, why would Tiger (or any player) take a drop without having it blessed by a rules official prior to taking his shot? I'm also amazed that the Masters doesn't have a rules official on every hole. Are they hurting for money?

Just stupid all the way around.

Fred Ridley and co have this whole thing in ther hands. They chose not to say anything to Woods BEFORE he signed and after reviewing it. So...in the 58 Palmer ruling Venturi disputed the second ball. That's all. Palmer announced his intention to play a second ball only AFTER he made double. That's not the rule. You announce and play the balls concurrently. That's what Kenny disputed.

When a player hits his ball in a water hazard, what are his responsibilities (irrespective of event, level, or being on television)?

When a player hits his ball in a water hazard, what are the committee's responsibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.