Tiger Disqualified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
72775f74-1025-40de-831f-bc969dc59af3_tiger-shots-side-by-side.jpg

ej20

New
Tiger may have indeed dropped the ball closer to his original ball position than he thought and might have falsely incriminated himself.

Rules officials had no problems with the drop but only decided to wack him with a penalty after his admission on TV.

The fact that Tiger openly stated that he dropped 2 yards back and then took 2 yards off the shot clearly indicates he was not aware of a rules violation.It's also amazing people have not even mentioned his horrible luck of hitting the flagstick and going in the water in the first place.

He could easily have birdied the hole and increased his momentum rather than have it stopped dead in it's track.

This one unlucky shot might have cost him as much as 4 strokes. If it wouldn't have hit the pin it might have led to a birdy instead of a bogy and he wouldn't have gotten the 2 shot penalty. That would have left him at 9 under for the masters in the end ...

Erik_K

New
Time to take professional golf into the 21st century. Forget having the players enforce the rules, forget having them keep their opponents' scores (geez), and have the game officiated and scored by paid officials, LIKE EVERY OTHER SPORT IN THE WORLD. I don't watch professional golf to see how well they can keep score or how well they know the rules of the game. I know, the tradition. Big deal. We don't make pitchers call balks on themselves, we don't make soccer players call invalid throw-ins on themselves, we don't make offensive tackles say, "yep, I held the defensive end on that play". When there is more technology in the golf clubs than a nasa space shuttle it's time to move the way the game is officiated along the evolutionary path. Have an official tell the players what their options are when a drop rule comes up, have them watch their drops real time and then it's done. And for god sake, if nothing else is done, have an official scorekeeper for each group. Forget the nonsense about players keeping the official card. That is mickey mouse and I don't care what the tradition is.

Sorry, I can't stop...the Dustin Johnson penalty in that major a few years ago when he grounded his club in the "trap" that was trampled by spectators, the Craig Stadler DQ/penalty for putting a towel down before he knelt down to hit his shot, the Roberto Devincenzo scorecard signing that cost him the masters aren't shining moments for the golf rule book, they are embarrassments for the sport. It's one thing to help foster honor and integrity it's another to have rules that are akin to what you find in parochial grammar schools with nuns metering out corporal punishment for violators (yes, bad memories still linger), Golf rules and officials to enforce them should be in place to keep the playing field level for all the competitors. They shouldn't be in place to help mold the character of the players or to test their knowledge of the rules or to test their integrity or to test their ability to keep score and then count the score their opponent has kept for them.

Ok, I'm done. Rant off. Sorry if you read all this.

I have to agree with most of what you wrote. The fact that penalties can be added in well after the fact (sometimes over a day after these "egregious" infractions occur) seems rather archaic to me. Maybe this sport also too many complicated rules to begin with. Each hole has rule officials but no one thought to speak up when Drop-Gate took place. To me it looked like he dropped fairly close to where he should have.

As others have said, if not for the press conference would this have even been an issue? Now we are going to scrutinize a player's words and use that as reason to retroactively enforce a penalty?

Erik

Imagine that Tiger's shot had not been televised. Difficult I know. In his post round interview he reveals he intentionally dropped two yards back and it's pointed out to him that that constitutes an improper drop. What is his obligation? Would he be an "idiot" if he then withdrew?

He would've become a idiot if he ad withdrawn.

Hi Kevin,

If Tiger woods had withdrawn he would have become Bobby Jones at the 1925 US Open or Lou Gehrig on July 4, 1939. By putting self interest second he would have transcended his sport. Tiger Woods is possibly the greatest golfer ever and that is probably all he will ever be.

I will say this, I do agree that they need to simplify the rules. For the life of me, I don't know why you can't ground a club anywhere, shouldn't make a difference, silly rule. Also, why so many options for taking drops, come up with one damn rule and make it stick, for pace of play, let's just say two club lengths from where you entered no matter what, I don't care.

As for the rules officials, my understanding is there was a rules official there, however, they usually won't get involved unless the player asks for assistance. At the end of the day it's on the player not the official.

Tiger didn't need an official, because he thought he knew the rule, he didn't. Blame is squarely on Tiger and his caddy.

Going to be interesting next time we have a screw up, to see if they also give that person the benefit of the doubt and don't dq them. Damn't, I didn't know you couldn't roll the ball, just give me two strokes...

This one unlucky shot might have cost him as much as 4 strokes. If it wouldn't have hit the pin it might have led to a birdy instead of a bogy and he wouldn't have gotten the 2 shot penalty. That would have left him at 9 under for the masters in the end ...

If golf only worked that way. Come on now.

I remember "Charlie 3 Sticks" having the same thing happen on the 18th at Torrey Pines South - I think he was in contention at the time but can't remember that for sure.

Regardless of the "terrible" break (and it was a bad break), Tiger has had countless "great" breaks in his career. For all of the really off line tee shots he has hit, he most of the times comes out with some sort of play towards the green (agreed it takes great talent to pull off some of those shots). Not much talent required to chip it our sideways when stymied up against a tree, but Tiger does not seem to get that kind of "bad" break as often as he gets a "good" one that allows some type of shot.

He has also had some great fortune at the most opportune time - how about the chip he holed a few years back on # 16 at Augusta? True, he hit a great shot with great imagination, but he could stand there with a bucket of balls, probably hit 95% with 2 or 3 feet without ever one falling in the hole - all great shots but great shots do not always fall in. Same for the shot he holed last year (#16 I believe again) at the Memorial.

Just my $.02 worth - Bruce

ej20

New
Don't understand all the debate going on about disqualification and Tiger withdrawing for sake of honor.

Tiger did not realize he made an illegal drop otherwise he would not have boasted about dropping 2 yards back and then taking 2 yards off the shot to land the ball short of the pin.He obviously thought he could drop as far back on the line of sight.Even Feherty who was commentating said the same so Feherty didn't know the rule either and he's a former touring pro.

Second,the law was changed in 2011 regarding this kind of situation.The penalty correctly was no disqualification in accordance with the rules.

Third,if you look at the video replay,the drop was more like two feet away rather than 2 yards so I think Tiger exaggerated a bit when he claimed two yards.

Tiger got a real big piece of bad luck here but I do agree he's had more than his share of good fortune in the past so it all evens out.

NO doubt in my mind that Tiger deserved a 2 shot penalty. Although only a small distance, it was a clear breach.

NO doubt in my mind that the Committee should not have DQ'd him.

NO doubt in my mind that the Committee should have discussed it with Tiger before he signed his card.

NO doubt in my mind that Tiger should not have DQ'd himself. It would have been an unnecessary sacrifice at the alter of golf etiquette/sportsmanship.

NO doubt in my mind that Tiger deserved a 2 shot penalty. Although only a small distance, it was a clear breach.

NO doubt in my mind that the Committee should not have DQ'd him.

NO doubt in my mind that the Committee should have discussed it with Tiger before he signed his card.

NO doubt in my mind that Tiger should not have DQ'd himself. It would have been an unnecessary sacrifice at the alter of golf etiquette/sportsmanship.

And add to the 1st statement, that he should have known the drop rule.

I attended a very strict Catholic school in Brian's home town. The Jesuits were a pretty harsh lot and there were no excuses for any infraction, no matter how slight. BUT, it stopped there. I remember being told "Don't try to be more Catholic than the church." If we (the school) say it's okay, it's okay. It's our decision, not yours.
Augusta said: no DQ. That ends it. Don't try to be more official than the officials. The Rules Committee is the final word, not the contestant. Play without the arrogance of trying to be bigger than the game and more correct than the Rules Committee. As Brian said earlier, it was all down to them.
If Tiger had disqualified himself it would have been presumptious and vain. Showboating is still showboating no matter what form it takes.
just my view.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Wasn't the stake yellow? I thought you could go back as far as you want? What am I missing?

Only if you go from the point of entry and keep that point and the flag in line. If you don't choose that option (which he didn't), you replay the shot from as near as possible the original spot

At least Tiger copped it with dignity. A lot of other blokes would be insinuating they were treated unfairly and sulking or whinging up a storm. The debacle pretty much cost him the masters. And everyone in the last 3 pairings knows he would have beat them pretty easily had he not hit that pin.

I know our newsbroadcasts downunder were implying he cheated on purpose and then that he did not recieve the proper penalty. It was pretty poorly reported.

ej20

New
Tiger didn't complain because the last time he dropped his balls where they didn't belong he was penalized $75 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.