Tiger on his technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiger on his technique:

Irony Files: Tiger Advises Rory To Say Little, Then He Says A*Lot! - GeoffShackelford.com, With GolfDigest.com - A blog devoted to the state of golf.

Q. When you're going through swing changes in 2008 and 2004 and there was a lot of criticism, you didn't really say anything too much about it, you just got to the end result instead. Is that hard not to fight back on the choice to change clubs?

TIGER WOODS: Well, that's just because people don't understand. Most of the people that are commentating or analyzing don't understand the game of golf, so I didn't have a problem with it.

Q. Is there a temptation at all to want to ‑‑

TIGER WOODS: Well, they don't see it. They don't see the range sessions and they don't see the practice at home. Plus, they generally don't understand the game, especially at this level.​

I definitely hope that Tiger writes his version of "Five Lessons" by the time he's 55 or 60. That would be so awesome!

Second, I wonder if Foley provides a lot of instruction to his players that is reserved for them only and not for a mass audience like the rest of us.

The take home from that is that people commenting have no idea about golf on that level. Literally no idea at all.

Kevin, we know that you have an idea of what it takes to reach golf competition at some of its highest levels. But I guess you're keeping a lot of it secret from us........ :)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin, we know that you have an idea of what it takes to reach golf competition at some of its highest levels. But I guess you're keeping a lot of it secret from us........ :)

That's absolutely not what I'm saying at all. I'm just agreeing that he keeps quiet because its not worth his energy to answer critics who haven't got a clue about golf at higher levels. Don't spin it around on me:):). Just agreeing with him. Wish I knew the secrets!

Last edited:
That's absolutely not what I'm saying at all. I'm just agreeing that he keeps quiet because its not worth his energy to answer critics who haven't got a clue about golf at higher levels. Don't spin it around on me:):). Just agreeing with him. Wish I knew the secrets!

Right, you sound convinced that Tiger knows lots of secrets that us mere mortals couldn't even begin to comprehend.

Meanwhile, mgranato and Dariusz think Tiger is utterly clueless. I don't know which of these is right but I'm personally leaning in Kevin's direction.......

During a late night drinking session I asked a retired NHL star (pretty well invented the slapshot) what he thought of the press, the fans, the commentators, the critics, the experts. To paraphrase, he said we never pay attention to the mob, in fact we laugh at them. They know nothing about playing hockey at this level - nothing. But for PR reasons we pretend to listen.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
How ironic...considering Tiger didn't quite get ball flight and admitted so until he was on a TM when the rest of us did.

BUT

We don't know what we're talking about because we didn't play on that level. ;)

How ironic...considering Tiger didn't quite get ball flight and admitted so until he was on a TM when the rest of us did.

BUT

We don't know what we're talking about because we didn't play on that level. ;)

I wouldn't think Tiger is talking about Certified Instructors. I would think he meant the average golfer and the press.

I wouldn't think Tiger is talking about Certified Instructors. I would think he meant the average golfer and the press.

ms1170, that suggests that Certified Instructors have closely-held trade secrets that they are keeping from the press. But Kevin Shields claims that he's not doing anything like that. So I doubt your theory.

I am agreement with Kevin on this one. I have argued it many times. In my experience, most of the questions these people ask and stories they write are targeted at the vast majority that does not understand swing mechanics or ceratinly what goes through ones mind when competing at that level. They want something to talk about and they want average Joe to understand it. I am certainly not on a level of a tour professional. However I can tell you that standing on the 35th tee of the second stage of open qualifying or a Nationwide event needing two pars to make the number is far more difficult than most understand. Truthfully, they (writers and press) do not know. No clue whatsoever what they are talking about. That is why writers write, coaches coach and players play. No way a 12 handicap is qualified to discuss these things on that level. Two weeks ago Friday I was having lunch and actually heard Stephen A Smith on ESPN discuss Tiger Woods issues. I mean Come ON!!! And as for Johnny....at Olmpic last year he said that he could manipulate the face while the ball was on it to manipulate the shot. Enough said...he either has self esteem issues or he does not understand a lot of things. But he certianly could play.

If Tiger learned all the new ball flight laws and yet he doesn't hear much about them at all in the press tent or TGC, then why wouldn't he think everyone else is a clueless waste of time because they don't know what he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.