Tiger Swing from Long Ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe he once swung so fast and freely.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9JA1E4nbk&feature=related[/media]

lia41985

Almost makes me wanna cry. Kept hearing this song in my head while watching:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQqQzE2-E9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9JA1E4nbk&feature=related[/media]

Looks great.

People seem to hate on the face-on pivot (too much head movement) and top of swing elbow/shaft position. (like Nicklaus, Snead, Jones, Mickelson, Goosen, Nelson)

Won 3 US Ams in a row and The 97 Masters by 10 with that swing.

It's interesting cause he did win a bunch after his changes with Butch, obviously too. But unlike they often said, there was no flip (or too in to out for that matter) there that I can see.

Tiger's pre 2000 swing must be under-appreciated.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
House Cleaning....

Tiger will return to form at some point—I sure hope.

The other thread was brutal and had to go.

Let's talk about his swing. At all points in his career.

nwb

New
Tiger will return to form at some point—I sure hope.

The other thread was brutal and had to go.

Let's talk about his swing. At all points in his career.

I didn't see the other thread but was amazed how unathletic Tiger's swing looked in Dubai. He is so talented that he can make anything work, but the swing really looked like a heave. He was still missing fairways by miles too. I appreciate its work in progress but when you see all these other talents finishing with full follow throughs and Tiger has this contorted flat finish i do wonder if he is on the right track.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
this swing looks like what i call his current "range swing." Smooth, fluid and lots of rhythm. Shame he can't find that on the course anymore, always looks like he wants to kill it.

I didn't see the other thread but was amazed how unathletic Tiger's swing looked in Dubai. He is so talented that he can make anything work, but the swing really looked like a heave. He was still missing fairways by miles too. I appreciate its work in progress but when you see all these other talents finishing with full follow throughs and Tiger has this contorted flat finish i do wonder if he is on the right track.

This makes me wonder if Foley really has a clue.

It's amazing what top-tier golfers will do to there swings in an effort to eliminate a certain miss or attain some sort of consistency or perfection...only to find that they have a new miss, similar consistency and that perfection is ultimately unattainable. It's kind of sad.

Tiger WILL make this swing work, but then again, he could switch to left-handed and get his Tour card.

It is sad and painful to watch Tiger play golf now. That swing from his Am days just looks so much more natural and athletic than his Haney or Foley swings. I also think there's a mental component involved. It's a lot easier to be free-wheelin when you're 17 than when you're 35

To me his Haney swing and his Foley swing both look like he's spending way too much time on putting Tab A into Slot B. Then he can't figure out what's wrong.

I've heard Tiger say that his body won't produce his old swing dynamics anymore...too many injuries and too much muscle gain.

For the golf pros out there....what would you do to move Tiger back to his old moves without hurting his knee?

There's an interview available if you google it in which Manuel de la Torre said that he thought Tiger swung the club better in '97 than he ever did later on. I can't remember whether that was said during the Haney years, or when Tiger was still with Butch. Either way, 2000 was in the record books by then and it seemed like a bold statement (at the time).

Tiger is forming way to much "scar tissue" from years of poor driving. The man who was seemingly impervious to pressure essentially has the "yips" with the driver. What he is working on now will not change that.

I'd love to see him take a 6 month haitus from the weight room, do nothing but "hot yoga" for a workout and then just go hit it. He looks like a long-drive contestant now and has for quite a while. No one says you have to look like a linebacker to be considered fit and I think he's let the "gotta-be-strong" pendulum swing too far.

He still hits his best shots when he "has no shot" and relys purely on instinct. I watch him swing now and it looks like such a contrived motion with as many swing thoughts in his head as I have!

Such a shame.

Anyone have a swing from his Am days with a really good camera angle from Down the line? ie chest high, and in-line with his hands?

lia41985

"What he and Sean have been working on, he now really has a great understanding," Cook said. "As of like Monday, it clicked, it finally clicked to him on exactly where the face of the club needs to be at certain points, which really sounded to me kind of like old-school Butch, but with a better face angle on the backswing, which means, wow, that's something really good."
From: Cook on friend Woods: 'It finally clicked': Local Knowledge: Golf Digest

It just looks like he's trying to "put the brakes" on his follow thru. Whether that's a hit or not I don't know, but it looks about as athletic/natural as a right handed beginner trying to play left handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.