Tiger Swing from Long Ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought Nelson was underappreciated. Retired early, easygoing guy, etc. ScottRob talked about Nelson having little "mystique", and he may be right.

Rather than join this merry debate, I'll just suggest reading the John Jacobs piece in GD. This from a guy who played in Hogan's Carnoustie Open and actually watched him hitting his drives into the fabled Hogan's alley. I thought this was great stuff.

John Jacobs: A Life Full Of Lessons: Golf Digest

Definitely an interesting article birly. Clearly a man with great wisdom. But reading it it seemed to me that the meistro was guilty of over simplificaton in the technical aspects of the game. Clearly he was spot on in many aspects, including the recognition that you "can't own your swing" ;) . However I think that after BManz rejection of the cool aid programm, he is almost certainly a more versatile and multidimensional teacher than JJ. Put it this way, I'd endure the 4000 miles to NO for a lesson, rather than taking the pleasant 1 hour plane journey to Surrey. And by this I mean no direspect to JJ.

Hi Wulsy - it'd be amazing if you weren't right. JJ did his thing without the benefit of video, nevermind trackman/flightscope or motion capture technology. So Brian has the advantage of numerous different points of entry into someone's swing.

For me, the great thing about Jacobs' stuff is how accessible it is for a player working on their own. Also, I'm a big fan of "minimum intervention". For me, it makes sense to try and exhaust the possibilities of the kinds of fixes that Jacobs offers before getting any more involved or complex. But that's a viewpoint that maybe comes from the particular circumstances I find myself in - in terms of playing history, current opportunities for practice, aspirations and so on.

Would I like the chance to work with Brian or one of his colleagues on a regular basis? Yup. Would I also love a lesson with Jacobs? Yup.

I think the big issue with what I know of Jacobs' teaching is whether the sort of fixes that he prescribes are inherently repeatable and consistent. I think that Brian et al are explicitly more interested in this area - but from the discussion prior to the anti-summit, I got the impression that this was still largely unexplored territory. I think the boundary between technique and practice/skill-acquisition is fascinating in this regard.

Hi Wulsy - it'd be amazing if you weren't right. JJ did his thing without the benefit of video, nevermind trackman/flightscope or motion capture technology. So Brian has the advantage of numerous different points of entry into someone's swing.

For me, the great thing about Jacobs' stuff is how accessible it is for a player working on their own. Also, I'm a big fan of "minimum intervention". For me, it makes sense to try and exhaust the possibilities of the kinds of fixes that Jacobs offers before getting any more involved or complex. But that's a viewpoint that maybe comes from the particular circumstances I find myself in - in terms of playing history, current opportunities for practice, aspirations and so on.

Would I like the chance to work with Brian or one of his colleagues on a regular basis? Yup. Would I also love a lesson with Jacobs? Yup.

I think the big issue with what I know of Jacobs' teaching is whether the sort of fixes that he prescribes are inherently repeatable and consistent. I think that Brian et al are explicitly more interested in this area - but from the discussion prior to the anti-summit, I got the impression that this was still largely unexplored territory. I think the boundary between technique and practice/skill-acquisition is fascinating in this regard.

The fixes are just a part of the overall learning process, the fix he gave to Jack Nicklaus at the 1969 inspired one of the greatest runs in golf history. Jacobs fixes were aimed at improving the ball flight they seemed to work remarkably well in all the tour pros he taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.