Tiger Woods Progress with Sean Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the weight shift to his right side before he hits those half wedges right at the beginning of the clip. That's not what he's trying to do now, is it?

I like the short game shots he is hitting around 9 min into video
I like the through motion on the high shots
Matt

ZAP

New
Just the little bit I watched of him yesterday had me thinking he looked better. He did not seem to be fighting it as much.

He is swinging and playing MUCh better than he was at the end of Hank.

Brian, what is your assessment of what is better with Tiger's swing now?

I feel strongly that his accuracy with the driver will not improve any time soon. The only difference I see in his "new" swing is that he's keeping his upper center in place on the backswing. He'll never get rid of the "rise" of his upper center through impact with this move. A problem I see with the "centered" head methods is that they do not recognize that great ball-strikers have historically exhibited different head movement patterns throughout the bag. Most great drivers of the ball have exhibited about a "half of a head's" movement "off" the ball. The head will usually be in this "back" position at impact, too, moving the Low Point slightly back, which is good for the driver. And also this "stretches" the body, parallel to the Target Line, allowing the head not to rise from the more violent up-drive of the hips with the driver. This is what Tiger USED to do, when he had at least "decent" accuracy with the driver. His head only started "rising" through impact, and his driving woes grew, when he started reducing his move "off" the ball. Remember '96 with Harmon, when he was trying to get his left shoulder OVER his right knee? Talk about coming "full circle"! I'd say it was best in 2000.....when it was reduced to a "half head".

natep

New
I think his size has a lot to do with how his swing looks. Back in 2000 he was still relatively thin compared to now. He always appears to be muscling the ball now compared to the more effortless swinging motion he had in 2000. If you think about it his arms probably weigh twice what they used to, and require much more force to be moved at the same speed as before.

Johnny Miller mentions in his book that he once took a few months off from golf to work around his ranch. He gained about 20 lbs. of muscle during this time. He said when he started playing again his clubs felt like feathers and he couldnt swing worth a shat.

Last edited:

leon

New
Am I the only one thinking 'give him a bit more time'? I mean seriously, it seems like everyone expected him to be beating fields by 10 shots almost as soon as he was linked with Foley. To be honest I think he's doing pretty well in making so much of the new swing stick already. I expect it will take a bit longer to get the Haney out of him.

TW is leading the field in Driving this week at 317 yds!!!! Even more shocking He is 9 yds ahead of A Quiros who is in second place, 25 yards ahead of Westwood and Els and 49 yds ahead of the leader Molinari.

Appears to be only a matter of time for TW.

ej20

New
Tiger at his peak could swing the driver close to 130mph or more.If he can hit up on it instead of down he will bomb it past Quiros,Holmes and Bubba.

dbl

New
TW is leading the field in Driving this week at 317 yds!!!! Even more shocking He is 9 yds ahead of A Quiros who is in second place, 25 yards ahead of Westwood and Els and 49 yds ahead of the leader Molinari.

Appears to be only a matter of time for TW.

There could be something wrong with the stats for Woods, because through 2 rounds he was leading at 343.5 yards. His round 1 stats are also missing for some reason.

I think his size has a lot to do with how his swing looks. Back in 2000 he was still relatively thin compared to now. He always appears to be muscling the ball now compared to the more effortless swinging motion he had in 2000. If you think about it his arms probably weigh twice what they used to, and require much more force to be moved at the same speed as before.

Johnny Miller mentions in his book that he once took a few months off from golf to work around his ranch. He gained about 20 lbs. of muscle during this time. He said when he started playing again his clubs felt like feathers and he couldnt swing worth a shat.

More muscle means his arms can produce more force not less. And to add Tiger always seems effortless on the range, then he gets on the course and tries to smash it as far as he can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.