Tiger Woods Progress with Sean Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiger at his peak could swing the driver close to 130mph or more.If he can hit up on it instead of down he will bomb it past Quiros,Holmes and Bubba.

Tiger's swing speed now is averaging 119 mph. He's not going to hit it further than those guys because they generate more clubhead speed and already hit up on the ball. Bubba hits up +9* on the ball.

3JACK

My two cents on the great man has to do with confidence; that which he exhibited like Walter Hagen. It seems to be gone, and the longer the struggle continues the harder it will be to get it back. If you think of the Duval, Seve, and Baker-Finch retreat from the top, they all began with the inability to get the driver in play. I am NOT saying any of those guys was Tiger Woods, just pointing out the similarity in struggles. But he'll be back.

ej20

New
Tiger's swing speed now is averaging 119 mph. He's not going to hit it further than those guys because they generate more clubhead speed and already hit up on the ball. Bubba hits up +9* on the ball.

3JACK

His clubhead speed has dropped over the past three years for sure.Maybe the knee has something to do with it.He's still quite young at 34 so I wouldn't write him off getting back to near his peak and that would be on the high side of mid 120's.He does say he can't swing like he did when he first came on tour anymore so maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.The days of him bombing it past everyone are gone.

Tiger seems to be back in contention, but his swing is sort of strange. Look at this video. He sets up with I'd say more weight on the front foot. It's like hitting a wedge, only with a wider stance, but he's hitting a driver!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkd5r6y4KY[/media]

He still drops the head a lot, that he didn't change.

His clubhead speed has dropped over the past three years for sure.Maybe the knee has something to do with it.He's still quite young at 34 so I wouldn't write him off getting back to near his peak and that would be on the high side of mid 120's.He does say he can't swing like he did when he first came on tour anymore so maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.The days of him bombing it past everyone are gone.

Tiger *could* swing up to 130 mph in his heyday. But he was more likely to swing around 125 mph. He was at 119 mph this year. Still one of the top speeds on Tour.

Kenny Perry was putting it bye him and many others and Perry's clubhead speed is only 110 mph. But Perry hits up about +4* or so (from what a Trackman rep told me). Tiger was measured at -3* a couple of years ago.

I think he has the chance to dominate again. If I were him, I would expect the swing to be where they want it by February and then start focusing on tournament prep and short game.

I think Foley is a good instructor and worlds better than Haney. I don't think Foley really understands a lot of the things he teaches because when he speaks about them, he is usually good for making some false statements and some of them are downright comical. But I think Tiger's swing and game is looking better and better and I'm excited to see him play next year.

3JACK

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Whenever i have seen Tiger on TV when they have trackman for flightscope measuring the speed he was in the high 120s and had (at the time) the highest swing speed on tour. More than both Bubba/JB but i don't think Dustin Johnson was on Tour yet.

His problem, as already mentioned, is he prefers more spin to shape his shots.

Why are folks "down" on Haney? Tiger perfected his swing plane under Haney. Everyone got on the "laid off" bandwagon criticism. But laid off is when the clubshaft is under the left arm plane at the top. Tiger was pretty much spot-on, perhaps just a HAIR under plane at the top, much like Hogan and Sorenstam, two of the straightest pure ball-strikers ever. Remember, Tiger's been the best iron player in the game for a long time. His problems have ONLY been with the driver. Yet folks act as if his swing needs a complete overhaul.

Tiger has picked up some yards with the driver recently. But its due to finally ditching the highest-spinning, shortest-hitting ball in golf. He was giving up 15 yards, easy, with that "marshmallow" he insisted on playing...until now. Tiger's always the last one to take advantage of technology.

If I could make on change to Tiger right now, it would be to extend the arms away from the body slightly more at address, so when he goes "down" after the ball, he STAYS down, instead of "backing up" out of the way just prior to impact. Virtually every great driver of the ball has the grip cap several inches "out" from under the shoulder sockets. Tiger USED to be there. Not anymore.

Tiger_address.jpg

Last edited:
S

SteveT

Tiger seems to be back in contention, but his swing is sort of strange. Look at this video. He sets up with I'd say more weight on the front foot. It's like hitting a wedge, only with a wider stance, but he's hitting a driver!
He still drops the head a lot, that he didn't change.

He's not only dropping his head, his whole body does a "gravity drop" at the start of the downswing ... and then when he approaches Impact, he begins his upward "parametric acceleration" that raises his upper body even more than he dropped it just to juice up his application of centripetal force through Impact ...:eek:

Didn't anybody see that ..???!!!!

(Sheesh ... I see kinetic energy development in the swing ... while you guys are still in the dark ages of static snapshot positional geometry ...!!!)

Last edited:
Where's Waldo?

I haven't read through all the posts but has anyone mentioned the most obvious change in the two pictures that may have had an impact on his setup? What do you think about the driver he used in 2000 compared to 2008. I would be willing to bet all I have that the old STEEL shafted driver was not the same shaft length as the 2008 GRAPHITE shafted driver. He never drove the ball as good when he went from steel to graphite.

I haven't read through all the posts but has anyone mentioned the most obvious change in the two pictures that may have had an impact on his setup? What do you think about the driver he used in 2000 compared to 2008. I would be willing to bet all I have that the old STEEL shafted driver was not the same shaft length as the 2008 GRAPHITE shafted driver. He never drove the ball as good when he went from steel to graphite.

Good luck banging on that drum.

Funny how Tiger wants to get more distance and the answer he is getting is to lean more forward and hit more down on it. *sigh*

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Good luck banging on that drum.

Funny how Tiger wants to get more distance and the answer he is getting is to lean more forward and hit more down on it. *sigh*

I am sorry, but Tiger is playing better, swinging better, and working with a teacher who wants to get better, unlike Haney and Harmon who though they invented golf.

Here is a prediction:

Tiger will win 2 majors in 2011, and Sean Foley will be "coach of the year."

I am sorry, but Tiger is playing better, swinging better, and working with a teacher who wants to get better, unlike Haney and Harmon who though they invented golf.

Maybe time to re-visit Butch/Tiger:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplQjd6ZP88&feature=related[/media]

Here is a prediction:

Tiger will win 2 majors in 2011, and Sean Foley will be "coach of the year."

Hope so for Tiger's sake.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Maybe time to re-visit Butch/Tiger:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplQjd6ZP88&feature=related[/media]

So many misconceptions in there it was hard to watch.

Of course, I was pretty far off then as well.

But, here is the thing:

I was closer than Butch then, and I've learned more than him since.

Sure, the new one's a little longer. So do you think that if Tiger cut the new one down a bit, he'd suddenly be dissecting the fairways? Fat chance. Besides, nobody's going back to steel in the driver....or hickory, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.