Tiger Woods Progress with Sean Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he's free to "date" whomever he wants again will give him that Testosterone flush equated to the winning feeling..alpha male type stuff. Maybe the girls were a distraction from his golf OCD.
Can he really be in the dark about attack angle? Otherwise, I like the way his swing is looking, but he just doesn't seem to be making any putts.

Ahahahaha.

The thing I like, is that you must be at least half serious.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
I have been covering the Australian Masters for my radio station and have followed Tiger around Victoria Golf Club over the last 3 days and on the range.
He wasposing all the moves and trying to cover the ball by moving his right shoulder really high on the downswing (seemed he was moving in front of it considerably). He was also complaining to Steve Williams that he wasnt getting deep enough on the backswing turn.

He missed a lot of shots left on the range and on the course, yet in round 1 he hit very well hitting 16 greens(although he did not need to use driver much).

Today in round 2 in very strong hot winds and hard greens and surrounds he went back to his old swing under pressure and missed several to the right.

At his press conference he gave us nothing with his responses! He answered me with a political response to swing questions.

Geoff Ogilvy said at his press conference that Tiger is a golf swing nerd that analises golf swing on youtube all night much like Sean Foley so he thought they were a great match.

Sergio swings so far left and he would light trackman up like christmas tree! His divots curve so far inward and his closing rate is massive. His girlfriend sat next to me at his press conference wow! wow! wow! Forget Norman's daughter Sergio. He shot 6 under on a day where it seemed impossible to break 70. Awesome!

Kevin,

Do you think #4 (firing the arms through impact) works as a though for Mahan because he already pivots so well with the upper body? This same thought could be terrible for some average golfers; is that why you don't like it?

The worst thing about Tiger ....with all the practice moves/drills he looks like a high handicap range rat groping for the next hot swing tip. Nothing looks natural. He's starting to remind me of Brian on the Big Break.

He doesn't look like an all time great letting his natural tendencies work for him as he did in 2000.

greenfree

Banned
I have been covering the Australian Masters for my radio station and have followed Tiger around Victoria Golf Club over the last 3 days and on the range.
He wasposing all the moves and trying to cover the ball by moving his right shoulder really high on the downswing (seemed he was moving in front of it considerably). He was also complaining to Steve Williams that he wasnt getting deep enough on the backswing turn.

He missed a lot of shots left on the range and on the course, yet in round 1 he hit very well hitting 16 greens(although he did not need to use driver much).

Today in round 2 in very strong hot winds and hard greens and surrounds he went back to his old swing under pressure and missed several to the right.

At his press conference he gave us nothing with his responses! He answered me with a political response to swing questions.

Geoff Ogilvy said at his press conference that Tiger is a golf swing nerd that analises golf swing on youtube all night much like Sean Foley so he thought they were a great match.

Sergio swings so far left and he would light trackman up like christmas tree! His divots curve so far inward and his closing rate is massive. His girlfriend sat next to me at his press conference wow! wow! wow! Forget Norman's daughter Sergio. He shot 6 under on a day where it seemed impossible to break 70. Awesome!

The next round Sergio shot 77 and would have lit up Trackman in a different way.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

Do you think #4 (firing the arms through impact) works as a though for Mahan because he already pivots so well with the upper body? This same thought could be terrible for some average golfers; is that why you don't like it?

I think i said i DO like it. Why would improving arm swing be terrible for some average golfers (unless you taking into account a bunch of other stuff)?

I think i said i DO like it. Why would improving arm swing be terrible for some average golfers (unless you taking into account a bunch of other stuff)?

Is "firing the arms through the swing" the same as "improving arm swing?" I see a lot of people that use their arms to control their swings (a la Jim Flick), and are helped by getting their body pivots more involved.

To me, suggesting that people use their arms more (which is what I think some people might take from Mahan's tip), can be counter-productive. Maybe I'm taking into account your "bunch of other stuff..."

I hope I didn't thread jack this topic, BTW...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I hear ya. Fair enough. I think Mahan is referring to pivoting to a spot and letting your arms swing by your body, which I think is a good thought for most.

lia41985

Oh la la:
101117_tiger_640.jpg5

Last edited:
TW finished 4th at the Australian Masters (-7), 3-strokes behind the winner Stuart Appelby.

Scores: 69, 72, 71, 65 (two eagles in the final four holes, 27 putts).

Good way to finish the year.

The Foley pattern or method is coming into full view now. And that's really what it is, a pattern, like S&T, that he teaches his guys. Tiger's bought into it 100%. The main features of this pattern, that I can tell, are:

1. Keep leaning or tilting targetward on the backswing to keep the upper body center in place. That's what the "club at the side of the head" drill is for.

2. Hands move more "inward" on the takeaway. The left arm is just staying on its address plane longer into the takeaway. What MOST pros do and Tiger used to do is to lift the left arm up off of its address plane within a few feet into the takeaway. I hear this get described as "hands move in, shaft moves out". If the club does stay "out", its because the left wrist doesn't bend to bring the shaft in-line, horizontally, with the left arm. That needs to happen eventually for an on-plane top position. I don't think it makes any difference whether it happens earlier or later in the backswing, and as such, gets too much credence. It's mostly just a preventative move to guard against hinging the shaft under-plane.

3. Hands move "deep" to the top. "deep" means "flat"....left arm perpendicular to spine at the top.

4. Hands move inward or "swing left" quickly after impact. This is a bit of "Voodoo Science", because the clubhead moves on a inclined plane through the impact zone. Even if you COULD pull the clubhead "inside" its resultant orbit immediately after impact, it wouldn't matter anyway. The ball is gone. I would say that the only effect of trying to "swing left" is that the resultant impact plane is less rightward/more leftward, which is obviously a good thing for Tour pros, who typically struggle with an overly inside-out plane.

The pattern is basically Stack N Tilt without the leftward stack at address. It's SO different from what Tiger was doing when he won 4 majors in a row and 6 PGA Tour events in a row. Remember how Michael Jackson got addicted to plastic surgery? Could it be that Tiger is addicted "swing surgery"?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
This will be his 4th total overhaul. I wonder if he'll ever really "own" anything like he says he wants to. He seems all too willing to buy into someone else's theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.