Tiger Woods Progress with Sean Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fashion Police.

Brian, you gonna get you one of them white belts?:D

My wife Lisa has a fashion background, and even though I don't always listen to her clothes wise, I do know this much:

No white shoes after Labor Day.

and...

No white belts on size 38 or larger slacks.

:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I watched a bit of that skins game and his pre shot was very Stack & Tilt ish.

Brian, what are the main misconceptions in that Harmon video in your opinion?

I watched a bit of that skins game and his pre shot was very Stack & Tilt ish.

Brian, what are the main misconceptions in that Harmon video in your opinion?

Kevin you beat me to the punch - re-visit what Butch was teaching versus Foley. Butch's ideas were more in the Faldo - Leadbetter camp which was the rage in 1990's?

lia41985

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTOOdtBsvrM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTOOdtBsvrM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good Observation

I am sorry, but Tiger is playing better, swinging better, and working with a teacher who wants to get better, unlike Haney and Harmon who though they invented golf.

Here is a prediction:

Tiger will win 2 majors in 2011, and Sean Foley will be "coach of the year."

Talked to SF today about Tiger's acceptance of swing changes. Said he is the most committed student he has ever seen. His goal for Tiger in 2011 is to be #1 in total driving. Tall order perhaps but Sean sets high goals for himself (and seems to be achieving them) so regardless of what "method" he is teaching, Sean does continue to evolve and improve his teaching. Go Canada!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTOOdtBsvrM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTOOdtBsvrM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Amazing how the best swings always look so simple.

Maybe he's free to "date" whomever he wants again will give him that Testosterone flush equated to the winning feeling..alpha male type stuff. Maybe the girls were a distraction from his golf OCD.
Can he really be in the dark about attack angle? Otherwise, I like the way his swing is looking, but he just doesn't seem to be making any putts.

He used to be able to scrape it around and shoot 69. His short game has been off.
Maybe he cannot maintain the intense focus/concentration anymore? None of us know what he really went through or felt all year.

Last edited:

lia41985

Lookin' good:
106687626.jpg

lia41985

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

No one really gives a rats a** what i think but tips 2, 4, and 5 are great. Not typical of pop golf mags. I just cannot get on board with 1 and 3. This stacked backswing (no sway:rolleyes:) and "lean into the shot" might work for a player like him but I would have to see it to believe it works on average players. Besides, he doesnt look like his poses so its apparent that its feel vs real, no?

Also, very impressive explanations in the video. Usually you get very childlike responses from tour players. His thoughts on arm swing vs too much rotation are great. Seems to be in conflict with what it SEEMS like he does (very open at impact, arms pinned to the chest)

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin, Do you really agree with #5? I can only imagine how this will be interpreted. It screams "Well Hunter Mahan said I should quit as soon as I hit the ball".

I read it as "dump it and then coast to the finish" where your swing would run out of gas. No adding or chasing.

Kevin, Was not talking about how you would interpret it, but how Joe Golf reading it by himself among the masses would get out it. And I think it would cause players to de-accelerate and quit on the shot. Maybe I is wrong.

not true Kevin

No one really gives a rats a** what i think but tips 2, 4, and 5 are great. Not typical of pop golf mags. I just cannot get on board with 1 and 3. This stacked backswing (no sway:rolleyes:) and "lean into the shot" might work for a player like him but I would have to see it to believe it works on average players. Besides, he doesnt look like his poses so its apparent that its feel vs real, no?

Also, very impressive explanations in the video. Usually you get very childlike responses from tour players. His thoughts on arm swing vs too much rotation are great. Seems to be in conflict with what it SEEMS like he does (very open at impact, arms pinned to the chest)

Not true Kevin...I for one have learned quite a bit from your posts and so have many other people i would think

so your opening statement....has been deemed OVERRULED

It doesn't get any better than that. But then, irons have not been a problem.

The most obvious change he is working on with Foley is to not move his upper sternum away from the target in the backswing. But Tiger was much more accurate with the driver back around 2000 when his head moved "off" the ball MORE than it has recently, before even starting with Foley. It just doesn't make any sense. If Tiger's driving woes were the result of moving his head SLIGHTLY "off" the ball, then how come his driving accuracy got WORSE as his move "off" the ball became progressively smaller year-to-year, even while his swing plane became better?

The thing I don't like about trying to keep the upper center in place with the "big shoulder turn" swings, like with the driver, is that it is very "natural", as the shoulders turn, for the upper spine to bend slightly in the direction of the rotation, thus moving the upper sternum slightly "off" the ball. With S&T, you have to continually apply a "compensating" move to prevent this "natural" move, which is to keep "tilting" your spine towards the target. The fact that you have to ADD a move to stop a "natural" move throws up a red flag for me. Besides where is the proof or science to support the notion that no lateral movement of the upper center will improve anything? The S&T book uses many old pictures of pros, but for every picture of a pro that they provide which shows a pro with no upper center lateral movement, I can show you 10 or more who do, especially with the driver.

This guy was the best total driver of his time
DSC00001.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.