Tigers Current Swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's representing their new "understated line" of watches. Something his agent insisted on to begin seperating himself from the "playa" image. Here's the first TW model...

Floyd_Mayweather_Franck_Muller_Watch1.jpg

I’m not predicting a win. There’s going to be some rust—how could there not be—but I expect him to play well, as well as we’ve seen in a long time.[/INDENT]

Where does all this "rust" come from? A guy that shoots 62 to set a new record at some course doesn't sound rusty at all. This cat's won almost 100 events and 14 majors and plays a very limited schedule as a matter of course so let's lose the rust excuse. I can count the number of times in 2011 that he was feeling "great" about his game. In fact I think I heard it 8 times. And the results of those 8 times were:

T44
T20
T33
T10
T24
T4
WD
Cut

I'm gonna throw out the high and the low and take the average - T26

Where does all this "rust" come from? A guy that shoots 62 to set a new record at some course doesn't sound rusty at all. This cat's won almost 100 events and 14 majors and plays a very limited schedule as a matter of course so let's lose the rust excuse. I can count the number of times in 2011 that he was feeling "great" about his game. In fact I think I heard it 8 times. And the results of those 8 times were:

T44
T20
T33
T10
T24
T4
WD
Cut

I'm gonna throw out the high and the low and take the average - T26

And if he does tie for 26th, we'll talk about the good progress he's making....even after Kevin Na wins without knowing how to start his downswing.

What do y'all see as the issues with the swing? I kinda like it.....

His ability to get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes possible...oh yah, when it counts. It's not as much as how the overall move is as his ability to go low like he presumably can when it doesn't count. (62)

Maybe it's not a swing issue but if he can't string it together then oh oh.

natep

New
Swing looks good IMO, but it seems like his swing gets much more violent on the course. He's the massive favorite at 7:1. It would be nice to see him take it down.

His ability to get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes possible...oh yah, when it counts. It's not as much as how the overall move is as his ability to go low like he presumably can when it doesn't count. (62)
62 doesn't count? I'll bet you'd be counting it if you shot it. What counts? Majors? I count 14. PGA tour wins? I count 71.

Maybe it's not a swing issue but if he can't string it together then oh oh.
62 doesn't count? I'll bet you'd be counting it if you shot it. What counts? Majors? I count 14. PGA tour wins? I count 71.

Swing looks good IMO, but it seems like his swing gets much more violent on the course. He's the massive favorite at 7:1. It would be nice to see him take it down.

That was the basis for my earlier comment. I've liked his driving range swing for several years but he just swings so damn hard once he gets to the course.

Hard to believe the greatest golfer of all time could suffer from the same ills that we do ( :

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No one enjoyed watching Tiger more than me. However, every single tournament he won it seemed as though he hit anywhere between 3 and 8 shots that were inhuman and that no one else in the field would do. Just look at that finish to the 3rd round at Torrey Pines. Makes the 50 footer for eagle that everyone else was 3 putting, flies the chip in on 17, and makes the eagle from the top tier on 18 with 10 feet of break. 4 shot swing. Those shots became commonplace with him and made it easier to ignore the years of symptoms his game was showing. I always wondered when they would dry up and force him into a "late Nicklaus mode" of winning a different way.

No one enjoyed watching Tiger more than me. However, every single tournament he won it seemed as though he hit anywhere between 3 and 8 shots that were inhuman and that no one else in the field would do. Just look at that finish to the 3rd round at Torrey Pines. Makes the 50 footer for eagle that everyone else was 3 putting, flies the chip in on 17, and makes the eagle from the top tier on 18 with 10 feet of break. 4 shot swing. Those shots became commonplace with him and made it easier to ignore the years of symptoms his game was showing. I always wondered when they would dry up and force him into a "late Nicklaus mode" of winning a different way.

I've thought about this before too. I wonder if he will figure it out that he can't win the same way he did when he was younger. He isn't as long as he used to be though he can be longer if he gets closer to optimal numbers. He isn't as straight either but can get that back in the same way. BUT I think he needs to figure out a different way to get it done. Like a baseball pitcher that early in his career hit 97 on the gun but is now closer to 90 but figures out a new pitch or two.

it will look better if he stops having short putts horseshoe around the hole.

but I agree with you, he said he wanted to own his swing, but I don't think he would say he wanted to own 'this' swing

it's still early though.

Status
Not open for further replies.