Top teachers getting some big fees.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, you have to have a clear definition of "perfected." Who determines that? The golf pro would tend to define perfect too early and the student would define it rather late--I'm not saying who's correct.

So, maybe we can put together a tribunal of sorts that determines whether the student has perfected a specific piece of the swing, for which the pro is awaiting payment. But there needs to be a commitee to elect the members of the tribunal, as well as another commitee responsible for oversight of the the tribunal. The conflicts of interest must be eradicated to the best of our ability.

But, even having access to the tribunal and oversight commitee, we must put in place a process that allows either the pro or the student to submit an appeal, if the initial judgement of the tribunal is felt by one of the parties to be unjust.

And, of course we must pay all the members of the comittee and tribunal, which could be taken out of the lesson fee's.

But, that will create a whole other conflict of interest because the tribunal will tend to side more often with the pro, in the interest of revenue generation.

So, then maybe instead, the entire organization can have fundraisers that ask for donations from prospective students that have an interest in continuing proper oversight and removing corruption from the lesson giving process.

Obviously, the big donners would expect the benefit of the doubt when they submit a case to the tribunal.

I think this system would work if everyone acted reasonably.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have a small staff of people that could officially define "reasonable."

You are hilarious! Golf instruction and political satire all in one place.

We of course would have to create a tax on all golfers to pay the salaries of the tribunal and other administrators [and of course miscellaneous expenses within reason ;) ].

You are hilarious! Golf instruction and political satire all in one place.

We of course would have to create a tax on all golfers to pay the salaries of the tribunal and other administrators [and of course miscellaneous expenses within reason ;) ].

ha ha, yeah, I was going to take the beaurocracy analogy even furthur and advise taxing the general golfing population but I decided I had derailed far enough. :)

Wulsy, let me ask you this. When you take a lesson from an instructor, are you paying for his information, or are you paying for his time?

I think it's a combination of the teachers time, information and reputation. I teach private music lessons on the side and my rates have gone up as I gained more knowledge (degrees), reputation (some of my students started placing higher in auditions than students of the college professors) and had less time available for teaching.

I think it's a combination of the teachers time, information and reputation. I teach private music lessons on the side and my rates have gone up as I gained more knowledge (degrees), reputation (some of my students started placing higher in auditions than students of the college professors) and had less time available for teaching.

Agreed, it is surely a combination, BUT, the real value of a hands-on lesson is that you are there to take your information and apply it in a professional way to your student's individual needs. In order to do that, you have to be there, and there is a huge opportunity cost that you must spend in time to do that.

You could produce an instruction DVD, marketed with your reputation, and providing your info, but you wouldn't charge as much, nor would students be willing to pay as much for it as a lesson with you personally.

Time is absolutely the critical factor and the most valuable thing you have to sell.

A lot of the "students" on this website are willing to pay you bushells for the info if it helps them, but aren't willing to spend a dime for your time.

Now, I'm an instructor, so there is an obvious bias.....I value my time quite a bit.

Last edited:
Agreed, it is surely a combination, BUT, the real value of a hands-on lesson is that you are there to take your information and apply it in a professional way to your student's individual needs. In order to do that, you have to be there, and there is a huge opportunity cost that you must spend in time to do that.

You could produce an instruction DVD, marketed with your reputation, and providing your info, but you wouldn't charge as much, nor would students be willing to pay as much for it as a lesson with you personally.

Time is absolutely the critical factor and the most valuable thing you have to sell.

All the "students" on this website are willing to pay you bushells for the info if it helps them, but aren't willing to spend a dime for your time.

Now, I'm an instructor, so there is an obvious bias.....I value my time quite a bit.

I agree with your assessment. There is nothing quite like a top flight instructor giving information face to face, using their experience to translate that information into a usable form for the student. Reputation really only serves one purpose....maybe two....get the student to your door and allow you to charge a little more. It's really about the time, both what the teacher is giving up and what the student gains from the individual instruction tailored to what they need and how they learn (modes of learning and all that jazz). Combination of those factors but there is a hierarchy of what is most to least important.

They're paying for IMPROVEMENT, not time , not reputation, not information, not anything else, just plain old GETTING BETTER.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think it may be surprising to know how many people pay that much just so they can say they have the coin to do so.......or just sniff a big name

I think it may be surprising to know how many people pay that much just so they can say they have the coin to do so.......or just sniff a big name

Actually not very surprising when we consider how some go for trophies, as in trophy wife, trophy car, trophy front lawn and trophy golf guru:)

They're paying for IMPROVEMENT, not time , not reputation, not information, not anything else, just plain old GETTING BETTER.

Except for those who aren't....seriously I KNOW it happens. I know a guy who would drive from Columbus to Ann Arbor every weekend and paid $300 a shot to take lessons from the 80-something year old double bass teacher at UofM. He said it was because he wanted to be able to say he took lessons with the guy, not because he learned anything or that the guy could still teach or even hear what the heck he was playing.

Wulsy, riddle me this: if a person goes to a university and graduates, but then can't get hired for a job, for whatever reason, should he be refunded his money from the university?

Sorry Virtu, you've lost me there. I don't get what you're getting at.

But to answer your question: No, he shouldn't get his money back.

Sorry Virtu, you've lost me there. I don't get what you're getting at.

But to answer your question: No, he shouldn't get his money back.

Well, people pay for an education primarily to IMPROVE their lot in life. The knowledege and skills they are supposed to aquire allows them to get a job and support themselves.

But, if they can't get a job with the knowledge and skills they've aquired, why shouldn't they get their money back from the university?

Status
Not open for further replies.