Tumble, no Tug drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Instead of catching the club up to your runaway pivot to avoid wipes, try keeping your body up with this feeling he's doing from the top.

Super stretched transition / slacky, flippy impact VS. Slackish, clubhead aware transition / taught, stretched impact

Merry Christmas

Instead of catching the club up to your runaway pivot to avoid wipes, try keeping your body up with this feeling he's doing from the top.

Super stretched transition / slacky, flippy impact VS. Slackish, clubhead aware transition / taught, stretched impact

Merry Christmas
That is absolutely brilliant. Love that...Keep the body up with the slackish transition and new downswing schematic.
Kevin, you're pretty good at this stuff...!!

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you too, Kevin and thanks for this description. I'm getting pretty good doing this with the irons and have some swing speed back--190-195 yd 5 irons again. The driver is a different story with mostly open faced push cuts unless I slow it way down to about half speed. Any other suggestions with the woods, especially the driver getting up to near full speed successfully?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Do you think hitting balls with your back to the target is also a good drill/feel too???

I'd have to see exactly how you're doing it before commenting. Either way I don't think it would hurt you unless it promoted a rolling club face.......which it usually does

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Merry Christmas to you too, Kevin and thanks for this description. I'm getting pretty good doing this with the irons and have some swing speed back--190-195 yd 5 irons again. The driver is a different story with mostly open faced push cuts unless I slow it way down to about half speed. Any other suggestions with the woods, especially the driver getting up to near full speed successfully?

Just more of everything the longer the clubs get. As soon as the driver gets a distance thought, players will tug it open. Going normal gets tougher the longer the club. Better prep for FATS usually means more turn, better fall, and better initial hand path. Or just strengthen your grip:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Also, Ive been practicing with a rope on the ground behind me while kneeling. In order to hit something really hard that's in front of me, I have to have a tangential force to a point and then really yank the grip end back toward me to make the tip snap forward. Helps my little brain continually understand the feel. If I went directly toward to object I'm trying to hit, the rope does nothing good....it just "jack knifes"

Also, Ive been practicing with a rope on the ground behind me while kneeling. In order to hit something really hard that's in front of me, I have to have a tangential force to a point and then really yank the grip end back toward me to make the tip snap forward. Helps my little brain continually understand the feel. If I went directly toward to object I'm trying to hit, the rope does nothing good....it just "jack knifes"
Kevin, if you could briefly address the cause(s) of "jack-knifing" it would be greatly appreciated. Would anything leading to a runaway pivot cause it? Thanks

Last edited:
Just more of everything the longer the clubs get. As soon as the driver gets a distance thought, players will tug it open. Going normal gets tougher the longer the club. Better prep for FATS usually means more turn, better fall, and better initial hand path. Or just strengthen your grip:)

Thank you Kevin. I kind of knew I was tugging, it just feels sooo different not to tug on the driver.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The interesting thing is Noren is not even close to doing that in his real swing.

That's why it's so important to exaggerate that feel. No one in history has done that from the top....the so called early releasers. Nobody gets the clubhead moving down and out to the ball too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.