Tumble, no Tug drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wulsy, I always enjoy your posts so now you have me alarmed. I have been trying to learn the new release by adding a bit of tumble to the rope and fiddle drills. Bill is pretty clear about not adding or applying any hit. This has helped me in eliminating tug. My results have been very good so far. Am I on the wrong track?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No offence, but did Bill not do the rope thing totally different from Kevin's description? ie tugged it.

Yes wulsy, that is not how I do it. I would probably think that swinging a rope golf style would certainly help some feels as Bill suggested but may not be good for hand path. That's why I do it on the ground. Also, it's not like I do it much. A few times every so often to foster the feel I'm looking for.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Wulsy, I always enjoy your posts so now you have me alarmed. I have been trying to learn the new release by adding a bit of tumble to the rope and fiddle drills. Bill is pretty clear about not adding or applying any hit. This has helped me in eliminating tug. My results have been very good so far. Am I on the wrong track?

Be careful with the fiddle drill to help with the new release. Maybe the start of it but not the aiming point part. Hope that helps.

Whats the fiddle drill?

Per Brian, "Take the 'grip' with thumb/forefinger/middle finger of both hands.
The backswing consist of placing
the shaft on the right side of the head on the shoulders
Straighten the right arm OUTWARD (Brian's emphasis, from 2003!)
Tilt while you "fiddle"
Kevin's point is well taken, you don't want to use the aiming point concept with this, but I think the tilt takes you to a point where you can pull the hula hoop out of the ground while applying right hand torque (throwing the drunk off, to use another older Manzella image). The main thing though it and the rope technique have helped me with is applying non tagential force from the top and not jack-knifing. I guard against that by applying a little tumble. Hey, I could be way off base but it's working so far.

Last edited:

jimmyt

New
Kevin,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting that drill. That drill allowed me to free up my thoughts on trying to do certain things with the new release. With that drill I have almost stop tugging entirely.

Thanks again,

Jimmy T

I'm terrible at computer/internet stuff, but even I managed to post a video at vimeo.com. Just go to homepage, sign up, and start uploading. You can then post a link. Easy.

hp12c

New
Also, Ive been practicing with a rope on the ground behind me while kneeling. In order to hit something really hard that's in front of me, I have to have a tangential force to a point and then really yank the grip end back toward me to make the tip snap forward. Helps my little brain continually understand the feel. If I went directly toward to object I'm trying to hit, the rope does nothing good....it just "jack knifes"

I have too much time on my hands, so heres what I made and if u call right now I will discount the price to 19.99 plus shipping and handling.

Man you're good looking Bill. No wonder you've been on television.
Aww..thanks D. You can buy autographed headshots on ebay for 99 cents. That drill always makes me stripe it, btw.
And "pivoting like crazy is...crazy"..indeed.
Release: good.
No tug: good.
Shallow divot: good.
Hit hooks for a while: good. (Dariusz is right on about that).

Per Brian, "Take the 'grip' with thumb/forefinger/middle finger of both hands.
The backswing consist of placing
the shaft on the right side of the head on the shoulders
Straighten the right arm OUTWARD (Brian's emphasis, from 2003!)
Tilt while you "fiddle"
Kevin's point is well taken, you don't want to use the aiming point concept with this, but I think the tilt takes you to a point where you can pull the hula hoop out of the ground while applying right hand torque (throwing the drunk off, to use another older Manzella image). The main thing though it and the rope technique have helped me with is applying non tagential force from the top and not jack-knifing. I guard against that by applying a little tumble. Hey, I could be way off base but it's working so far.

Thanks, hrely.

FWIW hp12c does the rope drill pretty good IMHO.

Yes wulsy, that is not how I do it. I would probably think that swinging a rope golf style would certainly help some feels as Bill suggested but may not be good for hand path. That's why I do it on the ground. Also, it's not like I do it much. A few times every so often to foster the feel I'm looking for.

Sounds like a good drill for any golfer especially a dragger

Anything to take the sensation of the "club head at the end" away

pull........SNAP

as Brian and Mike Jacobs has said in the past

ZAP

New
This no tug business is in my opinion a big deal for me. Hit a few balls in the garage today and really felt a lot of speed when I did not tug.

hp12c

New
Also, Ive been practicing with a rope on the ground behind me while kneeling. In order to hit something really hard that's in front of me, I have to have a tangential force to a point and then really yank the grip end back toward me to make the tip snap forward. Helps my little brain continually understand the feel. If I went directly toward to object I'm trying to hit, the rope does nothing good....it just "jack knifes"

Hey Kev On the rope drill, I noticed,sensed, felt a very lagging LCT and also I cant put any FATS on the rope is that what u noticed,sensed, felt and or anything else I may be missing? If Im correct on no FATS how is the rope straight at the bottom of swing? Thanks for your help.

I'd say that one has more to do with Manzella rule turn vs. tilt

It may, but I have been working with that closed face drill and am finding that the more I get the left shoulder up and back(it even feels like pulling up with the left arm) during the downswing(it feels like a going normal move to me), the more I can get the face open without manipulating the hands. If I don't get the left shoulder up the ball goes left and curves more left--especially if doing his "tumble" during the swing.

I really need to get on a TM to figure out what gets affected with the changes. So far I'm liking the ball flight, but still fighting the two way misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.