Vertical Hand Path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe something has been overlooked that Kevin has emphasized many times - laying the club of at the start of the downswing. For me this takes a lot of guesswork out of the vertical/horizontal question. The hands get deep and the arms seem to move more naturally into a good position for the release. Plus you effortlessly create angles which as Michael Finney points out is important for power generation.

Without the lay off I get hand pop out, club stand up, too left path and a bunch of other nasty stuff.

Drew

Great stuff there.

I know a lot of it is here somewhere, BUT laying it off properly can't be discussed enough IMHO.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think everyone serious about their game needs to find someone with a K-vest and get on it, to see where you are body wise in the swing. It really opened my eyes.

Here's the action that I imagine is beneficial:

At the very start of the downswing, you move your hands slightly horizontally. That shallows the shaft into a good position.

Then, after that slight horizontal move, you want the hands to move down vertically. That steepens, or "tumbles" the shaft during the second half of the downswing.

What you don't want is immediate forward tumble right at the start of the downswing. I think that vertical movement of the hands promotes that steepening when you want to be flattening, or laying it off. To flatten that shaft early, the hands need to move horizontally, not vertically.

It seems to me it's very hard to manually try to make the hands go slightly horizontal, and then more vertically, during the downswing when everything is happening so quickly. Do you have any practical ways to actualize this move you're talking about?

hp12c

New
It seems to me it's very hard to manually try to make the hands go slightly horizontal, and then more vertically, during the downswing when everything is happening so quickly. Do you have any practical ways to actualize this move you're talking about?

Im with you tong, Ive read this thread and im trying to see the hand do what litfer said and i cant see it. maybe im too dumb. :confused:

Vertical hand path or shallowing or twirl is a great subject some pro"s like Sergio ,Fowler,Hogan and Player cranked it to the so called elbow plane others dont and isnt necessary to play tournament golf llke Brian mentions.How one flattens the shaft in transition is debatable and done differently axis tilt,ground forces,bowing the wrist,forearm rotation,loops,and the famous question to collegiate player who shallows it i dont know i just do it!,twirl,gravity,etc etc.If your average golfer 15 hdcp higher trying to flatten all the way down to a elbow plane could be dangerous if you dont steepen and rotate thru could lead to severe inside out.In general most average golfers are steep in transition so the journey continues and before you know it there swinging a 4 degree upright club to combat the problem.So you got 10 or more pro's telling you many different ways some simple some complex just do it remember there hasn't been a golfer whose swung to the top and let the club drop all the way down behind his right foot yet the mind won't let you your gonna throw it in front when panic sets in.

Vertical hand path or shallowing or twirl is a great subject some pro"s like Sergio ,Fowler,Hogan and Player cranked it to the so called elbow plane others dont and isnt necessary to play tournament golf llke Brian mentions.How one flattens the shaft in transition is debatable and done differently axis tilt,ground forces,bowing the wrist,forearm rotation,loops,and the famous question to collegiate player who shallows it i dont know i just do it!,twirl,gravity,etc etc.If your average golfer 15 hdcp higher trying to flatten all the way down to a elbow plane could be dangerous if you dont steepen and rotate thru could lead to severe inside out.In general most average golfers are steep in transition so the journey continues and before you know it there swinging a 4 degree upright club to combat the problem.So you got 10 or more pro's telling you many different ways some simple some complex just do it remember there hasn't been a golfer whose swung to the top and let the club drop all the way down behind his right foot yet the mind won't let you your gonna throw it in front when panic sets in.

Harry Vardon said his feel was to try and swing the club head toward his right heel in the downswing.

Keefer _Challenge yourself like Vardon how far can you go before you panic or hit a foot behind it or become to underplane ? The more you use Vardons feel the more the other side of the swing is effected can you handle it? Most people cant because they dont know how they leave there mass on the right side but never get to the left.

No, I don't really know how to incorporate this move into swings that don't have it. I haven't even worked on in with my personal swing. I've just noticed that a lot of better swings have initial hand paths that are slightly horizontal or at least diagonal. If a golfer's initial hand path from the top is too vertical, he might have issues with getting "stuck" too much underplane through impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.