Vertical Hand Path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three of my favorite swings:

HPfsp.jpg

Brian, I LOVE this graphic. Thank you very much!!

My interpretation: Hogan = slightly convex, Woods and Toms = slightly concave.

Does anyone else find this subject endlessly fascinating???

I wonder how many variables are responsible for determining the starting downswing handpath. I can think of a few.

ej20

New
Here's the action that I imagine is beneficial:

At the very start of the downswing, you move your hands slightly horizontally. That shallows the shaft into a good position.

Then, after that slight horizontal move, you want the hands to move down vertically. That steepens, or "tumbles" the shaft during the second half of the downswing.What you don't want is immediate forward tumble right at the start of the downswing. I think that vertical movement of the hands promotes that steepening when you want to be flattening, or laying it off. To flatten that shaft early, the hands need to move horizontally, not vertically.
That's basically what OTT slicers do.The problem with carry is that it is for someone who needs it,that being the guy who drops the club down too vertically.Most average players have too much carry and they need to do the opposite and need a steeper hand path early.

I do understand what you are getting at though.You are relating downward handpath with tumble and outward handpath with negative tumble.It's not necessarily so.The trick is to get more downward hand path while not steepening the club and for sure it can be done.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
LOTS of parallax in the look of slight "concave" and "convex" I'd say these three swings are straight line and in or varying degrees and ins.

LOTS of parallax in the look of slight "concave" and "convex" I'd say these three swings are straight line and in or varying degrees and ins.

Could be. All three are fairly straight. And the line all three create is definitely angled closer to the ball than it's angled toward the toes.

I wonder if there are any great ballstrikers out there with a line that is angled above the ball.......

Alright, I got the video of Graeme that Brian used above on my V1 right now. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiVLqjLuSc

I define the start of the downswing as frame #212 (out of 492). The initial hand path (marking the butt end of the club) from that frame to frame #219 is way way above the golf ball. From there, the hand path steepens considerably.

Good example of a very effective convex hand path, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Three of my favorite swings:

HPfsp.jpg

From Kwon, Como et al ...

"Figure 6 shows that the left hand ... returns close to the FSP [Functional Swing Plane] at BI [Before Impact]."

My interpretation is that no matter where your hands start from at transition they have to get down to the functional swing plane at impact. Of course they can take any route but in an effective swing note this from the paper ...

"The right elbow, in general, stayed closer to the FSP than other points throughout the swing and at TA [Take Away] and BI [Before Impact] in particular."

To me the combination of the required left hand and right elbow positions should completely define the path the hands need to take. And maybe this is what BM's pictures confirm.

And that folks is a CLASSIC mini-carry....

I am going to start a new website where I argue that "mini-carry" is the only key you need to become a scratch golfer. And I will bash everyone on the Internet who disagrees with me! :)

In all seriousness, I'm actually very curious why the mini-carry works for McDowell. Something to do with low left arm + laid off + bowed left wrist?

I wouldn't be surprised if Trevino had the same mini-carry in his prime.

Two more swings that appear to have "mini-carry":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/91OaLf-1ou0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xOR9gQhjnVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ej20

New
If you tend to have deep hands at the top and you have the tendency to over draw,then probably a little carry is not a bad thing.It might even help you hit a little fade.

I think someone like Mcilroy could do with a little carry when his draw turns into a hook.His hand path gets a little too vertical and subsequently comes a little too much from the inside.

But again,downward hand path and carry must be used according to a players faults and not as a general pattern for everyone.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I am going to start a new website where I argue that "mini-carry" is the only key you need to become a scratch golfer. And I will bash everyone on the Internet who disagrees with me! :)

In all seriousness, I'm actually very curious why the mini-carry works for McDowell. Something to do with low left arm + laid off + bowed left wrist?

McDowell gets the hands inside the club head and pretty far inside in general, he then uses a mini carry to lay the club off. It's a good thing to try for SOME. Which is why Trevino did not do it.

McDowell gets the hands inside the club head and pretty far inside in general, he then uses a mini carry to lay the club off. It's a good thing to try for SOME. Which is why Trevino did not do it.

McDowell's way of creating negative beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.