When does the flat left wrist stop being flat? (with Manzella Video Answer & BLOG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Oh and by the way it is not "your film" unless you took it personally yourself.You just happened to have borrowed it in the assumption that it is Mehlhorn.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The ball doesn't know or care what the clubhead does after impact.

You know what,Hogan said exactly the opposite in 5L.He said bending the left wrist(dorsiflexion) will impede the speed of the clubhead.

This thread gives me the hives.

I teach MOST golfers to keep their left worst flat to the finish. These majority of these golfers are NOT tournament players.

Average golfers are throw, scoop, flipping the heck out of it, and they are reverse-rotating the left arm wedge, the shaft about itself, and the club comes out of their hands.

A full roll, limited wedge rotation, flat left wrist pattern attempt works best for these players.

A younger golfer, like Lindsay Gahm, with an anti-flip teacher like me, might develop a swing like hers where the left wrist stays flat without restricting the full release of the power generating angles.

But if you want to help a bunch of different kinds of swinging young juniors, college golfers, mini-tourists, and pro tour players, you'd better leave a LOT of bending left wrist post impacter the HELL alone.

That should be that.

But it won't be.

You are just going to post this one single example of Mehlhorn to make your point?Have you seen any other footage of his swings?

This particular swing could be a high flop shot he is attempting.If you watch his follow through it is way,way shorter than the full swing he makes at the end of the video.

Also are you sure that is Mehlhorn?There has been plenty examples of mistaken identities especially when it comes to players not many people are familiar with.How many people actually knows what he looks like?It could be Wild Bill Hickok for all we know.

Steady....steady! Wild bill Hicock...funny! I am not suggesting a bent left wrist at impact, just that there is no need to keep it flat for any length of time afterwards. The eternal flat left wrist made a lot of sense to me when I bought into hinge actions. Even the die hards admit that the right wrist is flattened by the time you pass follow through into finish. It seems reasonable to me that the flattening starts occuring incrementaly from release (maybe sooner!) Uncock...roll...hinge...swivel...no thanks. Someone mentioned that allowing the right right wrist to straighten revived their short game. I have experienced the same phenomenon with the longer sticks. Ball does NOT give a flip, right? I am just about out of lemon flavored kool-aide! :eek:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Steady....steady! Wild bill Hicock...funny! I am not suggesting a bent left wrist at impact, just that there is no need to keep it flat for any length of time afterwards. The eternal flat left wrist made a lot of sense to me when I bought into hinge actions. Even the die hards admit that the right wrist is flattened by the time you pass follow through into finish. It seems reasonable to me that the flattening starts occuring incrementaly from release (maybe sooner!) Uncock...roll...hinge...swivel...no thanks. Someone mentioned that allowing the right right wrist to straighten revived their short game. I have experienced the same phenomenon with the longer sticks. Ball does NOT give a flip, right? I am just about out of lemon flavored kool-aide! :eek:

Good post.

ej20

New
This thread gives me the hives.

I teach MOST golfers to keep their left worst flat to the finish. These majority of these golfers are NOT tournament players.

Average golfers are throw, scoop, flipping the heck out of it, and they are reverse-rotating the left arm wedge, the shaft about itself, and the club comes out of their hands.

A full roll, limited wedge rotation, flat left wrist pattern attempt works best for these players.

A younger golfer, like Lindsay Gahm, with an anti-flip teacher like me, might develop a swing like hers where the left wrist stays flat without restricting the full release of the power generating angles.

But if you want to help a bunch of different kinds of swinging young juniors, college golfers, mini-tourists, and pro tour players, you'd better leave a LOT of bending left wrist post impacter the HELL alone.

That should be that.

But it won't be.

Brian a little bend in the left wrist is probably not a problem if you play with a strong grip like many do today.The problem if when the left wrist breaks down severely into a huge flip just past impact.I have never seen a great player release the way Mehlhorn is doing it,if it is indeed Mehlhorn which I doubt.I see plenty of hackers release like that though.

Could the difference be the pivot? Most struggling golfer just take an almighty swipe with the arms and their pivots are largely faux i.e. looks like a pivot. Kinda like what Nicklaus said back in the day, if you get to your left side you cannot hit too soon with the mittens. I really good player warned me about the flat left wrist stuff. What the hell did he know, he was only a winning tour player back in the day! :eek: He put it me this way: "Yeah the left wrist is flat but the destination is the follow through, not impact." I countered "Listen here "Mr. Knows how to do it, but does not know what "it" is" what you want to do it uncock, roll and then swivel." "Mmmm that makes for a noisy club face don't you think?" I seriously left that encounter thinking that poor sod does now know what the hell he is talking about.:rolleyes: I cringe at the memory. :eek:

Want to see a flattening right wrist check out Henry Cotton. I forget the golf writer that said something to the effect that I have seen them all, no one hit it better than Sir Henry! I will leave it to another to drag something out of the Youtube barrel.

ej20

New

I have never said that the left wrist needs to be held flat till the end of the swing.I have shown plenty of examples in ultra slow mo of great players with a flat left wrist held until at least both arms straight in the follow through.Bend it all you like after that.

You also seem to think that flattening the right wrist bends the left which you obviously learnt from TGM.If you have followed what i have posted in this thread,it is entirely possible to flatten or even arch the right wrist while keeping the left flat.I have posted many videos showing this is possible.I have NEVER said you should not flatten the right wrist just past impact.Trying to hold a bent right wrist well past impact is TGM junk.

You can understand my frustration when someone posts a 1920s video of Mehlhorn(most likely an imposter) flipping like crazy just after impact and then declare that good technique.

Dariusz J.

How can you be so sure?I am not saying it definitely is not him but the hat covers his face.Just because you found a video of someone that dresses like him doesn't prove anything.Post some more videos that at least show part of his face.

If you watch this video of Mehlhorn you can see his follow through is totally different to the one you posted.Much more dynamic with more extension.You can also see that his head dips through impact similar to Trevino.The video you show does not have that head dip.

Mehlhorn I assume is the one with the hat.

BILL MEHLHORN WINS MIAMI GOLF TOURNAMENT - 1930 - Stock Footage

Oh and by the way it is not "your film" unless you took it personally yourself.You just happened to have borrowed it in the assumption that it is Mehlhorn.

I did not assume, I knew it. Imagine that there are valid sources in the net:

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1928/ag319n.pdf

You can understand my frustration when someone posts a 1920s video of Mehlhorn(most likely an imposter) flipping like crazy just after impact and then declare that good technique.

You should rather frustrate about lack of knowledge about old valid good techniques.

Cheers

ej20

New
Could the difference be the pivot? Most struggling golfer just take an almighty swipe with the arms and their pivots are largely faux i.e. looks like a pivot. Kinda like what Nicklaus said back in the day, if you get to your left side you cannot hit too soon with the mittens. I really good player warned me about the flat left wrist stuff. What the hell did he know, he was only a winning tour player back in the day! :eek: He put it me this way: "Yeah the left wrist is flat but the destination is the follow through, not impact." I countered "Listen here "Mr. Knows how to do it, but does not know what "it" is" what you want to do it uncock, roll and then swivel." "Mmmm that makes for a noisy club face don't you think?" I seriously left that encounter thinking that poor sod does now know what the hell he is talking about.:rolleyes: I cringe at the memory. :eek:

Want to see a flattening right wrist check out Henry Cotton. I forget the golf writer that said something to the effect that I have seen them all, no one hit it better than Sir Henry! I will leave it to another to drag something out of the Youtube barrel.

I have read about Cotton and his slap hinge release.Can you post any videos of him releasing how "Mehlhorn" is releasing?

I have seen Cottons swing and yes he does flatten his right wrist but that doesn't mean he flips his left.

ej20

New
You find a swing sequence of a supposed Mehlhorn from 1920 and come to the conclusion without a shadow of a doubt it is him?

Lets say it is him.How do you know he wasn't playing a flop shot?

I think any reasonable person would want more examples to be certain.

I have read about Cotton and his slap hinge release.Can you post any videos of him releasing how "Mehlhorn" is releasing?

I have seen Cotton's swing and yes he does flatten his right wrist but that doesn't mean he flips his left.

I will look for some of Cotton's stuff. My position (I am far more receptive to correction now than ever before!) is that once you get to release point with the power angles in tow you can let it go! Certainly not from the top.

I assumed that the photo sequence was in fact Melhorn. If it cannot be verified then pretend I did not post it! ;)

ej20

New
I will look for some of Cotton's stuff. My position (I am far more receptive to correction now than ever before!) is that once you get to release point with the power angles in tow you can let it go! Certainly not from the top.

I assumed that the photo sequence was in fact Melhorn. If it cannot be verified then pretend I did not post it! ;)

It can be done like that.I have also never said you can't play decent golf timing the flip.You just don't see much of that at the very highest level of the game.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

You find a swing sequence of a supposed Mehlhorn from 1920 and come to the conclusion without a shadow of a doubt it is him?

Excuse me, but this discussion goes nowhere. I have just presented a link to the source stating it is Mehlhorn. If it is not enough for you, so be it. I have better things to do than argue with you.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.