YIPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to outline the contents of a recently released book by a well known instructor about the yips and encourage an open discussion as to your experiences and solutions.

The book started with a discussion about what they were...putting, they are uncontrollable flinches affecting either the face angle rotation, or the acceleration rate.

It was then suggested that the first fix lies with one's allignments, checking and if necessarily fixing. Also changing one's grip, stance, posture, or something similiar could have positive ramifications.

The thinking here is that the yips is a 'neuronal motor control' issue and simply doing a lot more of the same will actually hurt you more in the long run because you are strengthening the faulty synapses!

So something different then! The book then went in the direction of some drills and ideas that would lead you in a different direction(ie different motor patterns). Putting tennis balls or cat toys;Having a friend either remove or leave a ball in place such that you become less target conscious, and less 'hit' conscious, and more stroke/swing conscious.

The book gives drills and ideas for chipping yips, and full swing/driver yips along the same lines.

It references the teachers famous players who have experienced issues, and discusses their solutions.

It also references the 'Super Sam Puttlab' and the 43,700 pieces of individual data, and what that machine shows and can supposedly do.

I will make some more comments, and my own perspectives, but as always I'm interested as to what you guys think.

Damon

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to outline the contents of a recently released book by a well known instructor about the yips and encourage an open discussion as to your experiences and solutions.

The book started with a discussion about what they were...putting, they are uncontrollable flinches affecting either the face angle rotation, or the acceleration rate.

It was then suggested that the first fix lies with one's allignments, checking and if necessarily fixing. Also changing one's grip, stance, posture, or something similiar could have positive ramifications.

The thinking here is that the yips is a 'neuronal motor control' issue and simply doing a lot more of the same will actually hurt you more in the long run because you are strengthening the faulty synapses!

So something different then! The book then went in the direction of some drills and ideas that would lead you in a different direction(ie different motor patterns). Putting tennis balls or cat toys;Having a friend either remove or leave a ball in place such that you become less target conscious, and less 'hit' conscious, and more stroke/swing conscious.

Damon

I haven't read the book you are referring to but I know which one you are talking about.

One thing I know a friend of mine did to cure his yips was to putt wiffle balls and cayman golf balls. The purpose was that the weight of these golf balls is different from the weight of regular golf balls. For him, it gave him different feels and he got his putting stroke back.

Not only face angle rotation and acceleration rate.....how about even pulling the trigger. I know guys who can't even take the club away from the ball on one foot putt. Know another guy who has what he calls "tee lock"....just can't seem to get things started in a full swing. Perhaps this comes from the mental/emotional anxiety of the future or from not having a physical way to begin the action.

To me the cause of most mechanical problems come from a pulling concept. Take pulling the trigger on a gun for example. Pulling is what we say but are we not really pushing against the trigger? Sometimes a simple shift in definition can make all the difference with the yips mentally.

I have found the best way to cure the yips is to make the paradigm shift, up stairs, from pulling to pushing. Educating the hands through the use of the pressure points to develop a sequential and rhythmic motion seems to create the best results.

Not only face angle rotation and acceleration rate.....how about even pulling the trigger. I know guys who can't even take the club away from the ball on one foot putt. Know another guy who has what he calls "tee lock"....just can't seem to get things started in a full swing. Perhaps this comes from the mental/emotional anxiety of the future or from not having a physical way to begin the action.

Ya I think you're right.

Anxiety does funny things man. (and everyone has it....just to different degrees, from different roots, and with different skill levels to determine how well they pull through it...i.e. putting skill levels)

It can make you not know what the HELL you're doing even on a simple 1 footer. Been there.

A lot of it I do think has to do I think WITH how much you actually do "know what you're doing"....skillwise and knowledge-wise....but I think it also has to do with thinking itself. (conscious thought easily turns into self-conscious thought in pressure situations)

Last edited:
Yes, I agree birdie_man. And for sure the good Doctor Carey would be most able to help people understand in this area. Hope he replies 'cause he is one smart dude!!! And a very kind man.

Hi Guys,

It also references the 'Super Sam Puttlab' and the 43,700 pieces of individual data, and what that machine shows and can supposedly do.
Damon

I experienced the Sam PuttLab in Louisville at the Professional Clubmakers Society yearly meeting last March.
There were very good putters and all the way down to very poor putters that tried the machine. I was very impressed on how well it worked.

One fellow mentioned that he had one in a trailer and goes around to various golf clubs. He lets people use it and they get a full analysis of what is happening when they swing. He charges them $50.

Now the bad news...... When I inquired about the cost it was $$$$$$!
If I remember right their site is: www.scienceand motion.com

bcoak

New
I suffer from the yips, only to be "cured" by the claw. But I have always tried to get back to a "normal" grip as I believe it is the best way to putt. In that vein, I recently committed to Damon's friends style of putting and the early results are very encouraging. Why I think this has worked is it is a more complete system that helps to remove any doubt when I am over the ball. I don't get close to impact and wonder if I read the green correctly, if my backstroke was long enough for the distance, if I am aimed correctly, etc. The complete system that he teaches eliminates these doubts and allows me to concentrate on making a good stroke and putt straight out of my stance.
So far so good and I hope a winter of practice will really ingrain the elements of his stroke technique and allow me to become a better putter.
The net of it is that, for the most part, I think the yips result from doubt about some aspect of the stroke that causes the mind to overheat and spasm.

Spike do you know me?I have had them for 12 years, for me I have to do something different 3-4 times a year. I have learned to putt left handed for times they are really bad. My yips are what spike referred to , can't get the putter off the ball. For me there is no set time when they happen , they just pop up. What I do is accept that this will happen and get on with it, changing putters and styes is a way of life. I shot 65 twice this year, once putting with a belly putter and the other with a dual sided putter putting left and right. One shore fix for me is elevating the putter, they are a p off but what can you do , unfortunately I do believe once you have them you will always have them , change your stye, your putter and get on with it, TIM

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
One extended answer~

Hi guys,

Reprinted with permission from another site is a fairly thorough examination and hopefully a helpful one for some of you!!!!

Cheers,

HANEY / RUDY AND THE YIPS

The publisher blurb says:

"Most golfers think of the ÒyipsÓ as a psychological affliction, a confidence problem that causes them to lose control of their game because of a split-second glitch. But scientists are now starting to unlock the true root of the problem: focal dystonia, a motor-neural malfunction that causes a playerÕs brain to distort the message being sent to the muscles. Acclaimed golf instructor Hank Haney used these discoveries to overcome his twenty-year battle with the yips, and now he shares his breakthrough regimen that can ÒrewireÓ any golfer who struggles with the yips.

Showcasing dozens of practical, hands-on techniques for eliminating the yips from putting, chipping, and the full swing, Fix the Yips Forever delivers the brand of prescriptive advice and drills that have made Haney one of the most sought after golf instructors in the world. This groundbreaking handbook features more than 100 black-and-white photographs, including reproductions of diagnostic screens and HaneyÕs ultrasound Òyips measurement SystemÓ for hands-on yip-free training. If you canÕt make it to HaneyÕs Golf Ranch for a personal diagnosis, Fix the Yips Forever is the next best thing."

Haney and Rudy in the December 2006 issue of Golf Digest elaborate on the yips. The book is an outgrowth of a series of article Haney and Rudy wrote in 2004, mostly about his personal bout with the "driver yips". To cut to the chase for putting, Haney writes:

"A yip often comes from anticipating impact and unconsciously adding force. To break that connection, I'll hold the ball firmly in place as the player strokes: When the ball doesn't move at impact, the player's yip "program" overloads. I'll also randomly place a ball in front of the putter as the player makes practice strokes."

In other words, a "hit" stroke causes the yips. He also writes that he finds the notion that the yips are psychological bogus, and that the yips instead are a real physical affliction that can be diagnosed, identified, characterized, and cured or relieved by physical measurement and physical treatment. he writes:

"A team of German scientists and teaching professionals figured that the only way to cure the yips was to first discover exactly when, how and how much they happened in a stroke. That's what their Super SAM machine does. It provides a complete diagram of the putting or chipping stroke, measured with ultrasound.

Basically, the machine constantly tracks the location of your clubhead in space. When you make a swing with a putter or wedge, a small wand (inset photo, above) attached to the shaft of your club sends information to the base unit, which is connected to a laptop computer. In less than a second, it shows more than two dozen things about your strokeÑincluding tempo, swing path, face angle and loft at impact. Taken as a whole, the information tells me if you have a mechanical problemÑwhich we can fix with some simple adjustmentsÑor the yips."

The approach to relieving the yip action is to train the golfer out of the "hit" with non-impact strokes, perhaps using no ball or using a foam ball instead of the usual golf ball. Progress with this therapy is monitored.

"1. Many yips come from anticipating impact. Have a friend occasionally place a ball in front of you as you make practice swings with your chipping motion. You'll slowly stop tensing up at impact.

2. One way to change a motor process is to change feel. Chipping something light -- foam balls, Wiffle balls, or even marshmallows -- changes the sensation in your hands."

Describing his book in December 2006, Haney writes: "Exactly when the yip occurs is also helpful to know. Some players have a tremor very early in the downswing, while others feel it right before or at impact. A tremor right at impact indicates you're anticipating contact and accelerating the clubhead. A yip earlier in the downswing is more of a clubhead-control issue. Using that information as a guide, it becomes a matter of trial and error--each person responds to a different kind of treatment."

A related approach to relief is: "A yip often comes from anticipating impact and unconsciously adding force. To break that connection, I'll hold the ball firmly in place as the player strokes: When the ball doesn't move at impact, the player's yip "program" overloads. I'll also randomly place a ball in front of the putter as the player makes practice strokes."

This approach "notion" of "overloading" the motor program is pretty vague and doesn't really make sense. I doubt that "overloading" of a flawed neural pathway is what is happening, as in the metaphor" driving faster on a bald tire does not really cure the bald spot." The real cure is re-routing onto a new movement pathway, by teaching and practicing a new movement without the handsiness and the "hit".

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
continued..

Haney / Rudy offer other approaches:

This "eye alignment" approach does not make sense to me, as the idea that the "stroke follows the eye line" is not actually true. Most golfers suffer in their putting setup posture from what I have identified as the "ballstriker's neck" flaw, which is a modified cocking of the head to the rear at setup that is a carry-over from the setup posture of a "modified K" used with the full-shot. These right-handed golfers walk into the putting setup from behind the ball with right hand low and head cocked back to their right. Then in the setup, the neck lines of these golfers putting right-handed aim not square with the top edge of the putter face but back to the right somewhat. The "eye line" of these golfers, according to Haney's notion, would promote a stroke path going back to the INSIDE. That doesn't happen. Under Haney's notion, most golfers would be setup to putt with the eye line rotated lead-eye inside the line (closed). It is certainly not the case that most golfers start their stroke out to the outside going back AND setup with the head and eye line cocked "closed" leftward to the inside of the intended putt line. What usually, most often happens in that the golfer sets up with the head and neck cocked back "open" AND starts the putter back outside across the line by using the hand muscles to start the stroke instead of pushing back with the lead shoulder. That's because these golfers see the target incorrectly outside its true location but learn that putting straight doesn't result in real sinks (but misses to the outside), so they make a "pull" or "cut" stroke from OUTSIDE to in to compensate for poor aim and never realize their targeting is off or that their stroke is not straight. Even if golfers initially setup with neck line square to the putter aim, they then turn their heads towards the target in such a way that the neck line pops back "open" during the look, generating a false sense that the target is outside its true location. Same result -- bad targeting produces bad stroke path -- but the error directions are opposite. This is perhaps as many as 95% of all golfers, pros included, especially good ballstriking pros. Bad targeting, bad handsiness in the takeaway, and bad stroke.

This "different skills" approach is probably not too helpful either. Using the toe or the heel of the putter to "hit" a golf ball is not so much using a different "skill" as it is using a different "tool" to perform the same skill (rolling or hitting the ball straight). Using a different tool might be a good idea, but its not practicing putting with the normal tool (a putter used normally).

This "confuse the motor program" approach of hitting different sorts of balls is pretty vague in the assumptions of how it might work. The motor program is really a habitual neural pathway. How does using a different pathway "confuse" the old pathway? This is just confused thinking, or at least confused talking about what is really happening in the brain. Training a "hitless" stroke with puffy balls is a very nice exercise, but it is learning to stroke a putt without "hitting" the real golf ball that matters. This is training out of use the hands with their "anticipatory flinching" at the hit. It's better just to train IN the correct movement pattern (rock the shoulders with dead hands) than it is to train OUT the problem.

BACKGROUND SCIENCE

All Haney and Rudy are describing originates with Dr Christian Marquardt, the German neuroscience researcher who brought his knowledge and experience overcoming hand movement deficits related to the yips to golf putting with his invention of the Science and Motion PuttLab. Christian was approached by golfers in Germany interested in seeing his knowledge applied to putting, and teamed him with South African teaching pro Marius Filmater, then working in Germany. Filmater told Marquardt about putting and Marquardt and others designed the PuttLab ultrasonic monitor that measures various putting stroke parameters by tracking the putter head in time and space with fine precision. The main parameters involved in the yips are face angle, putter head path, and acceleration or deceleration timing of the motion thru impact.

The Science and Motion website reprints a Dallas Morning News story about the collaboration between Haney and the Germans:

Getting a grip on yips
Bill Nichols - The Dallas Morning News
12:50 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 15, 2004

"Even players with nerves of steel sometimes turn to mush on greens

In becoming one of the finest putters of his era, Mark O'Meara mastered the treacherous greens of Augusta National, the tricky contours of Royal Birkdale and the gnarly poa-annua of Pebble Beach.

His smooth stroke spawned 23 victories in seven countries and five continents. Yet there he was at the Skins Game last November, flinching uncontrollably on short putts. He yanked balls left, jerked others right, his trusty putter serving divorce papers on national TV. The magic had vanished, 20 years of putting greatness returned to the genie's bottle, replaced by golf's most dreaded curse - the yips. The involuntary muscle contractions strike fear in the hearts of major champions. To those who putt for dough, there is no nastier four-letter word.

O'Meara's painful brush with the yips illustrates how the powerful affliction wreaks havoc on even the purest of putters. It drives players to drink, to the psychiatrist's couch and to the hypnotist's chair. It has ruined careers and mystified doctors, its reign of terror sparking new research and unorthodox putting styles.

At this week's U.S. Open, psyches will be challenged by the firm greens at Shinnecock Hills. Anybody with the yips had better get a grip because this major is often decided by pressure putts. Three years ago, the yips spread like the flu at Southern Hills, where the final threesome three-putted the 72nd hole.

Old malady

The yips have been around since Old Tom Morris but remain a confounding malady. Despite countless opuses written in medical journals, there is no known cure. Even worse, there is no consensus on the cause.

But the most comprehensive research into the phenomenon is currently under way involving European experts from Science & Motion Golf and renowned instructor Hank Haney of McKinney. Their work, which will be published in a medical journal, promises to unlock the causes and cures. Using a computerized machine to chart stroke motions, they are identifying where flaws arise, then curing players with drills that incorporate different muscle movements.

Haney helped O'Meara break his fever, convincing him after the Skins Game to try a new grip. O'Meara used "the saw" technique to win his first tournament in more than five years at the Dubai Desert Classic.

"All of a sudden I started rolling the ball better," O'Meara said. "I was alive again. I felt like I could make a putt. Half of the game is on the greens, and if you're not putting well, you can't compete at a high level."

That's why the yips have sent players scurrying for cures. The influx of new putters and grips has increased dramatically the last 10 years, with players willing to try virtually anything to keep a steady hand.

Once criticized by traditionalists, long putters and belly putters are common in PGA Tour bags. Left-hand-low grips, considered radical in 1995, are almost as popular as conventional putters these days. Claw grips and other variations are flourishing.

The use of oversized putters has increased because they eliminate many problems associated with the yips. By anchoring the club on the torso, a player reduces his chances of jerking motions.

Ernie Els has led the most recent charge against belly putters, saying they should be banned. He has plenty of support from traditionalists who believe the putter should not be allowed to rest against the body. Even Vijay Singh, the No. 3 ranked player in the world, thinks they should be banned. But he uses a belly putter because rules permit it. "I think nerves and skill are part of the game," Els said. "Take a tablet if you can't handle it."

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
cont

Remedies vary

Ben Hogan, perhaps the greatest shotmaker ever, couldn't beat the yips late in his career.

Sam Snead, who holds the record for PGA Tour wins, battled the yips throughout his storied career. Tom Watson was a dominant player, winning eight majors, but went through a long spell of flinches in his 40s.

The yips drove talented Johnny Miller off the course and into the television booth. Orville Moody trembled so much over three-foot putts that he said his arms felt like spaghetti.

There have been almost as many experimental remedies as victims. Snead pioneered yips relief with his sidesaddle method. Right-hander Blaine McCallister switched to a left-handed putter. Bruce Lietzke was going cross-handed in the early 1980s, then he jumped on the broomstick bandwagon in the '90s.

That decade ushered in some unique styles. Among the early left-hand-low converts were Nick Faldo, Tom Kite, Fred Couples and Paul Azinger. Mike Hulbert went more than a year using only his right hand.

Bernhard Langer has had the most famous turmoil with yips, using a variety of weird grips. The strangest was his Bavarian Stranglehold, which he won the 1993 Masters with.

"The result is what counts," Langer said. "I started several trends. Now, you have half the field using different kinds of grips."

It's not just mental

Experts agree that the yips are a form of focal dystonia, a neurological difficulty that causes contractions in muscles, resulting in jerking or freezing motions. The yips are similar to the dystonias that affect other professions such as surgeons, musicians and writers.

However, most yips studies have dealt with the brain, and tend to associate the ailment with performance anxiety issues, or in sports, choking. Other studies have classified the yips as an over-use syndrome.

Marius Filmalter and Dr. Christian Marquardt, managing directors of Science&Motion Golf, have created a 3D motion analysis machine called Super Sam. The device uses sensors and cameras to spit out images of strokes. Subtle movements are captured, providing instant feedback on flawed motions.

Haney stumbled onto the Super Sam while at the European Teaching Summit in Munich late last year, about the time his star pupil, O'Meara, was struggling at the Skins Game.

Haney noticed that the sign hanging over Super Sam guaranteed a cure for the yips. A few conversations later, Haney, Filmalter and Marquardt became partners. Filmalter is conducting tests at Hank Haney's Golf Ranch in McKinney. Filmalter and Marquardt believe they are on the verge of a major breakthrough because they can detect the yipping motions, and thus, determine methods for correction. In general, they cure by teaching the muscles new ways to perform old tricks.

Because Sam can isolate the exact point where jerking motions occur, the yips can be corrected through drills, they said. Previous research has been limited because yipping movements could not be detected.

"There is a little psychology involved, but it's a mechanical problem," Filmalter said. "We do exercises similar to how you would treat a person who stutters. If you tell a guy who stutters to say to an audience that he loves his wife, then he will stutter worse. But if he sings the words, he won't stutter at all."

That's good news to Woody Austin. He has driven himself crazy in his quest to exterminate the yips. He has tried hypnosis and every grip and putter. But he still flinches over short putts. "It's a tough task every day," Austin said. "I'm a nervous wreck on the golf course. If you're a nervous wreck and your hands are twitching, it's going to show up on the short ones. It doesn't take much to get it off line from three feet."

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
What is interesting about all this is the personal history between Marquart and Filmater after invention of the PuttLab and the arrival of Haney on the scene in late 2003 in the European PGA Teaching and Coaching Summit. Sometime after the PGA Summit in 2003, the Science and Motion organization tasked Filmater to come to the US to promote the PuttLab to fellow South African David Leadbetter. While in the US, a dispute arose between Filmater and Marquardt about ownership of the PuttLab, and Science and Motion was forced to sue Filmater in German Court and obtained an order barring him from further involvement with the PuttLab. Filmater then ended up working at the Hank Haney Ranch and developed his own "knock-off" version of the PuttLab called the Tomi system. Marquardt and others then came to the US to take up the promotion of the PuttLab, and I introduced them to Frank Thomas at the 2004 PGA Merchandise Show, and Thomas featured them on the Golf Channel as the top science at the Show. I then introduced Marquardt to the David Leadbetter operation at ChampionsGate and helped them explain the confusion with Filmater, and the Leadbetter organization then adopted and endorsed the PuttLab. In 2005 in Munich, Christian and I shared the stage at the European PGA Teaching and Coaching Summit, again attended by Hank Haney. Subsequently, Marquardt and Filmater started working together again with Haney, and Haney adopted the PuttLab, relying on Filmater as his main associate for using the PuttLab.

EARLIER YIPS SCIENCE

The Mayo Clinic of Rochester Minnesota formed a "sports science" team in 1999 to study the yips and come up with a cure. The team included Dave Pelz and Debbie Crews and a few doctors from Rochester interested in golf, but did not include any Mayo specialist in movement problems. In December 2000, the "sports science" team headed by sporst psychologist Ansly Smyth published an article in Sports Medicine that varied from two prior studies that had concluded the yips were neurological. The Mayo "sports science" team concluded the yips were mostly psychological.

I wrote extensively about the Mayo Clinic's yips study in 2002, providing a detailed report on the neurological research apparently not known by the "sports science" team and critiquing their approach as flawed because not using science to identify the cause of the yips, instead relying upon golfer behaviors to infer the character of the affliction. I specifically suggested that the Mayo Clinic "sports science" team should consult with Mayo Clinic's dystonia / movement disorders neurologist Dr Charles Adler in the Mayo Clinic's Scottsdale Arizona location. After my criticism, the Mayo Clinic "sports science" team added Dr Adler and dropped Dave Pelz, and Dr Adler redirected the yips study along the lines laid out in my paper, finding the "cause" of the yips to be "neurological." Dr Adler gained some notoriety among his peers for his contribution, lecturing at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology:

"Golfers' yips may be movement disorder
04/07/05

MIAMI BEACH Yips--a condition among some golfers that describes the inability to appropriately complete a golf stroke, usually during putting or chipping and worsening with anxiety--may be a task-specific movement disorder similar to writer's cramp and musician's cramp, according to research that will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology 57th Annual Meeting in Miami Beach, Fla., April 9-16, 2005.

For the study, researchers examined 20 male golfers, 10 with the yips and 10 without. All study participants were evaluated in the laboratory using surface electromyography (EMG) testing to determine muscle activity. Participants were tested while sitting at rest, arms outstretched, and during handwriting; standing at rest, holding a putter at rest, and using their own putter to putt a total of 75 putts, varying from 3, 6, and 8 feet. The golfers then rated the quality of their strokes, noting the number of putts made and the distance from the hole for missed putts.

"None of the golfers had any abnormal movements in the rest position, outstretched arms position, or while writing or standing holding the putter," said study co-author Charles H. Adler, MD, PhD, of the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. "While only two of the golfers felt they had their yips in the lab, under all putting conditions, 50 percent of the golfers with the yips had EMG evidence of co-contractions of muscles in the forearm just prior to the impact of the putter with the ball. The co-contractions were similar to those of task-specific dystonias--or movement disorders--such as writer's cramp and musician's cramp."

None of the golfers without yips had evidence for co-contraction.

A trend revealed that the five golfers with yips who had co-contractions were older, had higher current and best previous handicaps, and had yips for fewer years than the other five with yips who did not have the co-contractions. There was also a trend for those five golfers with the yips to make fewer putts and have a greater degree of error in missing the putts."

(See Psych Central, April 16, 2005).

Science and Motion was started in June 2003, after my article but before the "revised" Mayo Clinic conclusions of the augmented "team" that included Dr Adler.

HOW IT ALL FITS TOGETHER

Dr Marquardt knows quite a bit more than Dr Adler about treating putting yips, as he has had vast successful experience in clinical practice in Germany using his "retraining" of the relevant movement neurology in ordinary clinical practice, his development of the PuttLab, and his vast subsequent experience specifically treating golfer putting yips. Dr Marquardt's approach is what I suggested in 2002 in criticizing the Mayo Clinic "sports science" team: that the yips are a neurological problem wherein certain neural pathways get worn out, and the cure most likely involves a re-routed movement across neural pathways not worn thin by overuse.

In my view, the neural pathways the wear out are those controlling fine hand movements, most usually in the dominant hand, that get overused by a "touchy-feely-handsy" approach to putting. This approach invariably rests upon a "hit" stroke thru the ball that works fine in youth but that wears out the delicate neural pathways of fine motor skills of hand and fingers over decades. The average age of onset of the yips is age 43, about 2-3 decades after someone like Johnny Miller or Sam Snead or Ben Hogan gets a good start in golf.

An interesting point is how the yips are associated with co-contraction of muscles at the wrong time (a "flinch"). Most movements are tri-phasic in the pattern of contraction of agonist and antagonist muscle pairs operating on joint angles. The final co-contraction is a braking and holding behavior, sort of a "clamping down" of the limb or body part position at the end of the movement. There are really more problems like this than those occuring solely at the impact. When the golfer does not use a "flowing" stroke back and thru, but rather "yanks" or "tugs" or "pulls" the putter head back from the ball with hands to start the stroke, "defines" the stopping of the backstroke, deliberately starts the downstroke with an intentional accelerating, and then "defines" the end of the follow-thru with a stopping, IN ADDITION to the "flinch" clamping down in anticipation of impact, this golfer is flirting with the same "clamping down" problem. Good teaching avoids ALL of these problems, if you know how to teach a stroke like that.

What is interesting is that in the very political world of so-called "golf science", the Mayo Clinic does not use the PuttLab in its investigations. Nor do Hank Haney and Matthew Rudy, Filmater, and Marquardt confer or work cooperatively with the Mayo Clinic team. This appears to be a result of the typical and ill-advised division along major golf magazine lines, as in Golf Digest (Haney) versus Golf Magazine (Pelz and Crews). That won't end any time soon. A more immediate danger is that the prominence of Hank Haney's book associating the PuttLab with the yips so closely might render the PuttLab "primarily" a yips-fixing tool instead of a general teaching tool for putting stroke skills.

Accordingly, the stroke I teach is a non-"hit" flowing stroke, based on my independent study of the neurology of movement as applied to putting (1991-2002), and it's heartening to see that now the Mayo Clinic under Dr Adler's guidance (2004), Dr Marquardt (2003), and Hank Haney (2005-2006) all agree with me. They're right. More power to them.

Cheers!

Geoff Mangum

Yips are due to a very simple phenomenon: indecision: it is the act of the mind second guessing what was not A DECISION BEFORE THE STROKE HAPPENED.

MAKE YOUR DECISION AND LIVE WITH IT. DIAGNOSE ANY ERRORS AFTERWARDS. And stop being afraid of results. ACCEPT THEM.

Fix LATER.

Spike do you know me?I have had them for 12 years, for me I have to do something different 3-4 times a year. I have learned to putt left handed for times they are really bad. My yips are what spike referred to , can't get the putter off the ball. For me there is no set time when they happen , they just pop up. What I do is accept that this will happen and get on with it, changing putters and styes is a way of life. I shot 65 twice this year, once putting with a belly putter and the other with a dual sided putter putting left and right. One shore fix for me is elevating the putter, they are a p off but what can you do , unfortunately I do believe once you have them you will always have them , change your stye, your putter and get on with it, TIM

65....twice........We should all have the yips!!!:D

Damon, Thanks for the articles and excerpts. The following quote is what I was refering to in a post on this thread....pulling vs pushing.

"There are really more problems like this than those occuring solely at the impact. When the golfer does not use a "flowing" stroke back and thru, but rather "yanks" or "tugs" or "pulls" the putter head back from the ball with hands to start the stroke, "defines" the stopping of the backstroke, deliberately starts the downstroke with an intentional accelerating, and then "defines" the end of the follow-thru with a stopping, IN ADDITION to the "flinch" clamping down in anticipation of impact, this golfer is flirting with the same "clamping down" problem. Good teaching avoids ALL of these problems....."

Too many problems can occur due to pulling because this can cause extreme alignment problems and control problems especially in the backswing.

I also agree with birdie_man in that a lot of putting problems are stemmed from not knowing what one is doing.

To me this is merely uneducated hands. When people take the "hands out" of the act, no matter what technique is used, all kinds of problems can occur. It is funny that when some folks change their grip they have success for a while. Why? Because this kind of change puts the feel or awareness back into the hands. Or getting a new putter/set of clubs. Why? Because we love them, now, and feel them, are aware of them and appreciate them(probably due to the cost of them).:rolleyes:

I don't understand why a lot of these guys profess that "impact anxiety" can be cured by avoiding impact (denial?) and just making a "flowing stroke back and through". What good is a "flowing stroke back and through" when you are avoiding the point? Why don't these guys teach "impact"???? Teach "takeaway", "loading", "releasing", "finish". What would be wrong with that??

There is a beginning, middle and end to all things...so far;) . Or a start, change and stop for an action. If there are clear definitions in each of these areas mental doubt deminishes and physical skill can be trained......bypassing nothing....especially the beauty of impact.

It is statements that these big teachers make like, "push back with the left shoulder" that makes me really wonder if we should be listening to them. I mean really...if I pushed "back" with the left shoulder my head would move, eh? The shoulder can move down.... but back?

Can the yips be cured through physical drills and technique? Probably not totally....however, if every action had a definition associated to it then a blending of mind and body can occur. If the couch is needed after that, well, there are guys for that, too.:eek:

I am forever grateful to the TGM concept of Educated Hands. The power of this simple idea is what the Golf World needs.:cool:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Hi Spike,

Can you clarify a few things for me?

Are you saying that golfers should push, not pull, or neither? Can muscles push?

Are you saying that the stroke 'should' not be free flowing, but rather impact oriented, and with a bigger awareness of one's hands and their 'role'?

Are you criticising Geoff's ideas, or Haney's, or someone else's? What exactly are you proposing as an alternative(s)?

To be fair about the left shoulder pushing down, that is simply a shoulder turn takeaway in TGM parlance which is activated by the gut and back muscles, and can work fine with a steady head or for those inclined that way, a stationary head.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
I experienced the Sam PuttLab in Louisville at the Professional Clubmakers Society yearly meeting last March.
There were very good putters and all the way down to very poor putters that tried the machine. I was very impressed on how well it worked.

One fellow mentioned that he had one in a trailer and goes around to various golf clubs. He lets people use it and they get a full analysis of what is happening when they swing. He charges them $50.

Now the bad news...... When I inquired about the cost it was $$$$$$!
If I remember right their site is: www.scienceand motion.com

Hi Jim,

The puttlab people 'lost' their main putting expert to Haney in '04, and he has come up with a less pricey option called a 'Tomi'. Also DV Putt make something with similiar parameters for V1 Golf at a reasonable number.

You do need to know how to deal with that information though, and what it all really means in the context of your stroke and not some 'model' stroke.

Regards,
Damon

Hi Damon, your's are in blue

Hi Spike,

Can you clarify a few things for me?

Sure.

Are you saying that golfers should push, not pull, or neither? Can muscles push?

One of the things I was saying was that no matter what style you use you should not leave the hands out of the equation. This theory has screwed up a lot of golfers over the years.

Also, in an earlier post I said there would have to be a paradigm shift to understand the pushing motion/condition during a stroke. For example the accepted way is to say the horse is pulling the cart. But, really, the horse is pushing against the earth and the harness to move the cart.

No, muscles cannot push.

Are you saying that the stroke 'should' not be free flowing, but rather impact oriented, and with a bigger awareness of one's hands and their 'role'?

Nope. I think the stroke should be free flowing and that impact is a condition that we drive through to a full finish, with a FLW, lag on a straight plane line. However, it takes educated hands to effectively do this.

Are you criticising Geoff's ideas, or Haney's, or someone else's? What exactly are you proposing as an alternative(s)?

The statement in the article said to push the left shoulder back. Don't remember who or if he even meant to say it that way. But that statement bugged me. Nothing personal meant there... just seemed to be part of "the drink".:rolleyes:

To be fair about the left shoulder pushing down, that is simply a shoulder turn takeaway in TGM parlance which is activated by the gut and back muscles, and can work fine with a steady head or for those inclined that way, a stationary head.

Agreed, left shoulder pushing "down"....just another way to start the back move. Just don't think the hands should be left out. One can also use the hands to "push the left shoulder down"....not that I prefer that style.

Alternative? Yes, there is one and I've been doing it for 12 years and have yet to find a better way. Once I shifted my attention to another way to understand pushing an entire new feeling, awarness and control came about. I could then deliberately develop feel through the feedback of a deliberate hit of the ball with a g.o.l.f.

The stroke has a "defined" sequence, a beginning, a middle an end and a beautiful little rhythm. It is structurally sound and has the feel of sophiscated hands. It is fun to learn but definately takes work, something most don't want to do when it comes to putting.

Is it for everyone? Who knows? Is it for anyone? You bet! But like anything else in golf it takes dedication.

Hope this is what you wanted.:)

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply , Spike!

I thought that the hands were 'clamps' and that they were being aimed.

Anyway, this putting stroke and theory being espoused is not based on anything in TGM. That does not mean that does not have merit. If you took the time to read and understand all that is written about the theory and the real world practical experience that has gone into this, and you attempted to do it without TGM goggles on, you might understand its merits.

If what is being said is a 'drink', what kind of drink would it be? And what kind would TGM be, if that is your preference?

It is great that you 'have' a putting stroke. I would be the last person to try to change things if what works, works!

Status
Not open for further replies.