YIPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facing a four foot putt, I am up two for the hole. There is no pressure to make this putt whatsoever. I go thru my normal routine only to miss the putt, but tap in to win the hole. Still, I give conscious thought to why it was missed.

On the very next hole, I face the same situation except it is to halve the hole. All of a sudden, I am thinking about that last putt, consciously or subconsciously.

What are some suggestions for a clear key?
How about a mechanical routine which addresses this issue?
Or should I just "do it"?

Facing a four foot putt, I am up two for the hole. There is no pressure to make this putt whatsoever. I go thru my normal routine only to miss the putt, but tap in to win the hole. Still, I give conscious thought to why it was missed.

On the very next hole, I face the same situation except it is to halve the hole. All of a sudden, I am thinking about that last putt, consciously or subconsciously.

What are some suggestions for a clear key?
How about a mechanical routine which addresses this issue?
Or should I just "do it"?
The short of it is "keep the mechanics in pre-shot." Then put the clear key in as you set up, and keep it going till the stroke is complete. Use anything that allows you to feel "smooth" or "in sync" with your stroke - as long as your "key" has no mechanical command or suggestion in it. (Our systems will try to follow any commands, or hints in that direction, as they come out). "Legalized bingo'll keep grandma off the street." "If you ain't dutch, you ain't much." Think up your own, and make sure it is long enough to "cover" your whole stroke from before the stroke starts till after it is complete.

What that does is prevent any other thought from entering and therefore keeps you in the present, where there is no anxiety to signal your system, so no blocking action comes along and no glitches result. Be sure, however, to use pre-shot to plan exactly what you wnat to do on this shot. Use only one rehearsal stroke (if that one is not what you want, delete it just as you would off your computer screen, and then do another. Your system is nondiscriminatory. If you give it more than one command, it wonders which one to follow.)

Some apparently think that anxiety is a "bad" guy, and maybe in the context of these forums, limited space and comment makes it sound that way. Anxiety is always at the ready, but it will only emerge when your mind takes you to the future (the target) or the past (missed that last one). Practice with it, however, since our systems do require some familiarity.

Last edited:
The short of it is "keep the mechanics in pre-shot." Then put the clear key in as you set up, and keep it going till the stroke is complete. Use anything that allows you to feel "smooth" or "in sync" with your stroke - as long as your "key" has not mechanical command or suggestion in it. (Our systems will try to follow any commands, or hints in that direction, as they come out). "Legalized bingo'll keep grandma off the street." "If you ain't dutch, you ain't much." Think up your own, and make sure it is long enough to "cover" your whole stroke from before the stroke starts till after it is complete.

What that does is prevent any other thought from entering and therefore keeps you in the present, where there is no anxiety to signal your system, so no blocking action comes along and no glitches result. Be sure, however, to use pre-shot to plan exactly what you wnat to do on this shot. Use only one rehearsal stroke (if that one is not what you want, delete it just as you would off your computer screen, and then do another. Your system is nondiscriminatory. If you give it more than o one command, it wonders which one to follow.)

Some apparently think that anxiety is a "bad" guy, and maybe in the context of these forums, limited space and comment makes it sound that way. Anxiety is always at the ready, but it will only emerge when your mind takes you to the future (the target) or the past (missed that last one). Practice with it, however, since our systems do require some familiarity.

OK.

So, as long as I don't associate mechanics to the rhythm of the thought and/or words, the anxiety is minimized or forgotten for the present moment.

Should a specific clear key change often so it doesn't become mechanized?

Am I missing something here?..

Surely "Clearkey" can only work alongside a perfect mechanical system
If you have a mechanical flaw (which over 85% of golfers do) then surely you are simply going to reproduce that during your clearkey period?..

OK.

So, as long as I don't associate mechanics to the rhythm of the thought and/or words, the anxiety is minimized or forgotten for the present moment.

Should a specific clear key change often so it doesn't become mechanized?
One could do it that way, as long as there is practice associated with each key. In fact, there is a tour player working with that variation as we speak, using four keys which she interchanges in practice and in playing. Thus far, seems to be OK. The problem is that with a nondiscriminatory system, any and every change brings about a short termed need to adjust (just so no one jumps to a conclusion, that issue involves more than just that short statement).

Just to be sure we're on the same page, the clear key does not become a mechanical issue, though some have had a problem trying to make certain positions in the swing appear with certain words in the key or trying to start the swing and/or make contact at the same point every time, which turns it into a mechanical key. It may become habitual so that the player may occasionally have to review it in pre-shot, but that's about it. There are players who have been doing this for more than 15 years with the same key and it's still delivering what they want. But that is not to say that multiples will not work. Start with the basic principle of "one," for explanation and teaching. Then if more are indicated, go there. (An exception to the teaching rule, which may be Ok for some, but not all).

If you want to review the process more indepth, go to
http://doubleconnexion.com/ClearTips.htm

Last edited:
Just a question KG..

What if you go through all that and still keep missing putts...where do you go to then?.......

That only means that you have work left to do to correct either your stroke or your alignment, or maybe have your vision checked, as well as see what, if anything, your eye dominance has to do with it.

You are correct that a clear key will not provide a habit that is still not built. If you are making putts using swing keys and missing on clear keys, you have not yet built a habit. That process is vital and takes some further information as well (that is the habit development process, which also requires the use of a clear key to complete the maturing of an effective habit which is formed from a well developed skill). You'll find more on that tied to the pages on the use of training aids on my website, under the heading of the 32 ball drill.

That's unless you are consciously controlling that I assume?

If I understand what you are asking, if you are consciously controlling, you may only be subjected to whatever the nonconscious throws in when your conscious mind tries to go "silent." Of course you may encounter mismatches between the pace of what you are thinking and the body's willingness to accomodate that pace. Plus, you have taken any good habits out of the equation, since habits do not accompany thinking mechanically. Only skills do that.

Habits only function when you think about something OTHER than what you are doing while you do it.

Am I missing something here?..

Surely "Clearkey" can only work alongside a perfect mechanical system
If you have a mechanical flaw (which over 85% of golfers do) then surely you are simply going to reproduce that during your clearkey period?..

That would be true if you decided you were done with your learning and development. If you have "flaws" while using a clear key, that means you still have work left to do. Using a clear key will give you the best of what you have built in when you are playing, and will help you to take your best skills to the habit level. Golf is not an instantaneous game. Takes awhile to complete the mssion. I have worked with players, am and pro, who had few, if any, habits built. Had plenty of skill though, and it took awhile for that to mature. One can employ clear key in learning the game from scratch, as far as that goes. It is an effective learning tool, as well as for playing.

With a clear key, one gets the best of his/her best and the best of his/her worst, at least, that is what is visible and what players report.

Status
Not open for further replies.