Hogan's inspiring Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeG

New
According to the wikipedia link jeffy posted Hogan was 5 ft 7 in and 140 ib.

Is that really correct?

In the documentary a Hardcase for Texas, Hogan himself talked about the evolution of his golf swing. He states that in 48/49 his golf swing was at its best
that even though he won some tournaments after the crash he never hit the ball as well as he did during that period.

Interesting topic.

I think Brian has also talked about him hitting it better with the Power Golf swing. Maybe he can reference some quotes.

I believe he also said that Hogan's course management was superior in his later years. Maybe he thought about it a bunch lying in the hospital. (I would)

Good posts SM.......interesting anyhow. I will say though that the guy had quite a record anyway. (and win ratio)

And as always I like where Alford is coming from.

jeffy

Banned
In the documentary a Hardcase for Texas, Hogan himself talked about the evolution of his golf swing. He states that in 48/49 his golf swing was at its best
that even though he won some tournaments after the crash he never hit the ball as well as he did during that period.

Thanks; that's one video I don't have: kinda wish it were on dvd. I'll order it.

Hogan was 5'8"

I think its hilarious that anyone can believe Hogan was will over effort, thats just ludicrous imho, but I respect everyone can have an opinion. His control over the ball was perhaps unequalled in the game, then and now. So he had more talent in his small frame that most of those on tour put together

What do you mean will over effort? I don't understand.

BTW I think he had a lot of talent too. A strong pivot.....and that trigger delay. Not everyone can do that. Yeesh. I think I can without a ball but put one down and it could go anywhere. (clubface control goes out the window)

Hogan was 5'8"
I think its hilarious that anyone can believe Hogan was will over effort

What is will over effort?????

Will and effort are the same thing.

I don't think that Hogan had talent on tap. I think it was his legendary WORK ETHIC that made him great.

Talent does what it can; A brain does what it wants.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned

After he discovered the "secret" in 1946, his game went to another level. Up to that point, he was winning with his short game. Anyone who thinks he couldn't putt should look at his record in the early '40's. He was leading money winner in '40, '41 and '42 and Vardon trophy winner in '40 and '41 when he couldn't keep it on the planet.

However, his winning percentage went way up post-accident, particularly in the majors. I don't see how it is obvious that his pre-accident game was better. Apparently he said so, but, according to Middlecoff, his fellow pros didn't start gathering around and watch him practice until 1950.

Up to that point, he was winning with his short game. Anyone who thinks he couldn't putt should look at his record in the early '40's. He was leading money winner in '40, '41 and '42 and Vardon trophy winner in '40 and '41 when he couldn't keep it on the planet.

What is the fix for Hogans accuracy woes with his "power golf" pattern?

It hard for me to get worked up about Hogan's post accident pattern. It looks so anemic. Definitely the man and not the swing.

If you believe that, fair enough. His secret was his right knee, he could control an 8 iron to within inches just by altereing the flexing his right knee. He stopped his over swing by pulling up his left thumb 2mm, which was the opposite of the conventional wisdom of this at the time, he reversed it. He altered the spin on the ball by hitting it on a different groove, I could go on, and on, and on. Hogan had talent in spades, when you talk about talent, he is right up there.

If you believe that, fair enough. His secret was his right knee, he could control an 8 iron to within inches just by altereing the flexing his right knee. He stopped his over swing by pulling up his left thumb 2mm, which was the opposite of the conventional wisdom of this at the time, he reversed it. He altered the spin on the ball by hitting it on a different groove, I could go on, and on, and on. Hogan had talent in spades, when you talk about talent, he is right up there.

In terms of the case for work over talent, he won his first major at 34 and prior to, spent years playing second fiddle to Byron Nelson. If talent evokes the idea of a natural, then Nelson would fit the bill ahead of Hogan. More correct perhaps to say Hogan willed himself to be talented by dint of relentless work, analysis, sheer determination. Hogan's work ethic is perhaps the overriding and most beloved aspect of his lore, I don't think it denigrates him at all to acknowledge how hard he had to work to achieve what he achieved.

And he could pound out a 300 yard drive by wiggling his Big toe...
Yeah Right!

rcw

New
right knee

Nope not a new one. Check out Jody Vasquez's book Afternoons with Mr. Hogan. That is what Jody says Hogan told him was the secret, running his right knee at the ball. I'm not saying I think that was it, but it has been said before in that book.
Self Mastery, those are a couple of useless posts.

Indeed, its not new at all, certainly not to those who have read on Hogan. I won't bother responding to the jibe about his major at 34. He watched his father blow his brains out at 9 and was the family bread winner at 12yrs old. I choose not to belittle his acheivements from a position of knowledge, sitting back and taking potshots at someone like Hogan is easy, using ill-informed sound bites anyway.

Seems little point continuing the debate when the repleis descend to that level.

Byron Nelson was indeed a talented golfer, more talented than Hogan? Not according to Nelson himself he wasn't.

Tit for tat discussion, pointless. Anyway, his position in history is cemented regardless of what is diluted over time.

Dariusz J.

It hard for me to get worked up about Hogan's post accident pattern. It looks so anemic. Definitely the man and not the swing.

Anemic ? You're a funny guy, LOL.

If there's a pattern that brings 100% FIR and 100% GIR on a over-7000-yard course for a guy who is over 50 ys old - this is the pattern all golfers should die for. Think first before you write something...unless your aim is only to amuse people on the Forum.

Cheers

jeffy

Banned
What is the fix for Hogans accuracy woes with his "power golf" pattern?

I wasn't aware that he had "accuracy woes" with the his late '40's swing. He discloses in both the 1955 Life magazine article, titled This is My Secret, and the book Five Lessons that he finally got control of his long game in 1946. Power Golf was published in 1948. In the Life article, he laid out the three adjustments that made the difference, and his inspiration for them. However, according to Middlecoff, he was one-dimensional pre-accident: exclusively left-to-right. After the accident, he moved the ball around more.

Status
Not open for further replies.