Shanking—the STONE TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I get it. Now how do I stop this when it starts? That is all I want to know.

Start with hitting shots with a 7 iron with your right thumb completely off the club for the entire swing. Does this does is aid in your awareness of the sweetspot feel. Also if you end up "under the sweetspot" with your right thumb off the club, when you release and the club "throws out", you would almost throw the club out of your hands because you have no thumb supporting it.

Also move to a more "hooked" trigger finger like John Daly this will help as well. Finally, watch brian's video and start turning the clubface off thep lane much sooner.

Lightbulb!

Ok, a lightbulb just went off in my head. I finally realize what it means to rotate the sweetspot off of the plane!!!!!

Only question (this may be dumb), is there any power loss from getting it off early as opposed to later on?

Thanks for the video Brian. Might be one of my fav's!

PS.........Just went out to the range (ok, garage) annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, me shanks no more! Still wondering about any loss?

Last edited:
Start with hitting shots with a 7 iron with your right thumb completely off the club for the entire swing. Does this does is aid in your awareness of the sweetspot feel. Also if you end up "under the sweetspot" with your right thumb off the club, when you release and the club "throws out", you would almost throw the club out of your hands because you have no thumb supporting it.

Also move to a more "hooked" trigger finger like John Daly this will help as well. Finally, watch brian's video and start turning the clubface off thep lane much sooner.

Thanks Jim. Most of my shanks happen on short pitch shots (1/4 or 1/2 swing) or shots when I open the face for a lob shot. This helped me today with the regular shots, but not the ones with the face open. My question is what happens to the sweet spot when you open the face for a lob shot? You can't really rotate it off the plane, can you? Should a person approach shanks with the face open differently?

Thanks.

All along (up to this point) I've understood that lagging the hosel basically meant your clubface got too open (at SOME point before impact) and then you hit the ball with what now feels like your sweetspot.

(AKA Mr. Hosela)

I like...
You Funny man very very Funny...

Funnyyyyy
Mr. Hoseleto...

I liked your Jaket (Seinfeld, Remember which Chaper?)...aha Sorry Joke

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim. Most of my shanks happen on short pitch shots (1/4 or 1/2 swing) or shots when I open the face for a lob shot. This helped me today with the regular shots, but not the ones with the face open. My question is what happens to the sweet spot when you open the face for a lob shot? You can't really rotate it off the plane, can you? Should a person approach shanks with the face open differently?

Thanks.

you have to rotate your plane line with those types of shots are you will always bring the hosel to the ball. So if you open up the face significantly, you better rotate your plane line to the left so that YOU CAN bring the sweetspot to the ball.

HOW does this fella not shank from a laidoff and "open" position?

Hogan-dtl-startdown2.jpg

Can someone please write a paragraph on why this guy hits it pretty flush from this "shank" position at the top/startdown?

I may be wrong but i'm sure I remember in a Hogan biography someone playing with him toward the end of Hogan's career. Seeing him shank a shot into a TV tower then Hogan almost ignoring it ever happened and hitting another ball.......not that I am suggesting he is a shanker, just that he knew where the sweetspot was at all times......

Last edited:
Doesn't Hogan rotate his left forearm in the down swing, getting his left knuckles down, and right hand more on top of the ball, rather than under/inside it?

Also, would Hogan be considered laid off if he continues his backswing turn a little more, and added a little more wrist cock?
Does it appear so laid off because of the length of his backswing?

Hogan-dtl-startdown2.jpg

Can someone please write a paragraph on why this guy hits it pretty flush from this "shank" position at the top/startdown?

He turned his left wrist/Forearm( #3 accumelator) 1-2 Feet before impact and get that sweetspot off plane toward the ball...
Tiger also the same...
Brian? what do you think?

Ben Hogan had the Sweet spot in a scary position but somehow didn't shank
he turn that clubface back off plane, maybe he bowed his left wrist maybe with the pivot he knew how...high handicappers don't
hogan1966usopenatolympidk3.jpg

hogan1966usopenatolympion5.jpg

His Slow motion Swing is a killer for a lot of golfers

here another one Rod Pampling Els, David Toms

And again I try to get in that position but that's the problem with golf some times you overdo a motion or not making the motion so bottom line, for me if I overdo the rolling of my left hand\wrist( #3 accumelator) to turn the SWEET SPOT OFF Plane then my CLUBHEAD JUMPS OUT SIDE my PLANE ANGLE(shoulder) and I practice to keep the CLUBHEAD inside and really I DON'T CARE if I'M LAGGING THE HOSEL I'll fix it later...if I NEED to

I think Tiger is the same as hogan he's lagging the hosel until delivery and bows his left wrist and Hello Sweet Spot, Hello Ball nice to meet you...

I don't think that's a shanking position, unless you knew that in his mind he was going to bring the hosel down toward the ball. That's the key here: educated hands. He intends the whole time to rotate the sweet spot toward the ball; therefore, he is never "lagging the hosel." That phrase is meaningless unless you know what the golfer is feeling and sensing. "Lagging the hosel" does not describe a geometric position of the clubface-- e.g. shut, square or laid off. It describes the golfer's mental sensation of what he feels is taking to the ball. Make sense.

As far as I know Hogan's clubs were bent open....

As far as I can remember it was for sure more than 2 degrees.....maybe as much as 4. So that's one thing to take into account...

As far as I can remember it was for sure more than 2 degrees.....maybe as much as 4. So that's one thing to take into account...

and the fact he knew you're supposed to hit the ball with the sweetspot. not the hosel

if you know the feeling for lagging the sweetspot, then getting the face open isnt really a problem

Birdie,
You cannot bent irons open - no way!
Driver and woods may have open (or close) face angle but no irons.

Hot Chilli: if you bow/arch your left wrist more during release/impact, that will OPEN the clubface even more (all else equal)!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Darby.

I don't think that's a shanking position, unless you knew that in his mind he was going to bring the hosel down toward the ball. That's the key here: educated hands. He intends the whole time to rotate the sweet spot toward the ball; therefore, he is never "lagging the hosel." That phrase is meaningless unless you know what the golfer is feeling and sensing. "Lagging the hosel" does not describe a geometric position of the clubface-- e.g. shut, square or laid off. It describes the golfer's mental sensation of what he feels is taking to the ball. Make sense.

You get it.

Not sure about the rest of the crew.

Folks READ AND Re-READ this quoted post.

If you don't understand, let me know.

Brian, if the sensation and intention of the golfer is all that matters, then why talk about how laid off and open the clubface is in your video? And when you fix shankers, you will never have to physically get them to a more closed clubface position, which I have the feeling you do. Just tell them to “feel the sweetspot” and everything will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.