The Release w/Brian Manzella & Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
eken, I for one have not disrespected anyone on this forum, let alone BM or MJ. If I was sitting at a table taking part in a discussion I would bring up the same points. I never argue the other side just for the sake of it. Those who look closer at my posts will see that I have helped move this argument on since 2010.

Don't mistake respect with deference. Brian has said recently that he doesn't know it all, it's a journey for him too. Ever heard the one about the King's new clothes? Jeffy disagrees with Brian's new ideas about the release, I agree almost 100%. Why you mention us in the same breath is a mystery to me.

Stop criticising others.

Here's my problem with your logic. Every time Brian or MJ freely post information that they've gathered over months and years of research to this forum, somebody wants them to defend it until THEY are satisfied. It's like a child saying, "yeah, but why?" over and over again.

Forum members like you can try to pick away at theories all you want without having to justify any of your own thoughts. It's very one-sided. I'm glad you THINK you are bringing something to the table.

jeffy

Banned
I want those who constantly call out the membership of this forum for being sycophants, to please name them.

Some of you remind me of the dumb kids at school who call other students brown nosers because they talk to their teachers, ask questions and show general thanks.

Some of you don't ask questions, you hurl derogatory, disrespectful garbage at Brian et. al and then expect him to treat you with grace and humility. If he doesn't, you bash everyone else for being sycophants and then run to another forum and talk about what a bad guy Brian is. It's a joke, really.

I asked a couple of simple questions in a thread I started a few days ago. No response from Brian, Michael, you or any of the "team" that Brian said knew more than anyone about the release. What kind of joke is that? Echo chamber.

That they don't know the answer? Could be.

Also could be that you don't understand the answer or just don't like the answer. Maybe make a list of your 3 most important questions then look back and see if they were answered. If not, make a new thread and ask those 3 questions again and see if they get answered. If you're still not satisfied, then you will remain unsatisfied. But at least there will be some closure for you......and for us.

edit: looks like Brian beat me to it

jeffy

Banned
Jeffy,

What is the question.

We will film a video with the answer right now, if you promise to hush up after.

WHAT IS THE QUESTION, bra?

I can't promise to "hush up after" without seeing the answer first. But you know that I am intellectually honest. If you answer my questions satisfactorily, I'll be a happy camper. You know that I'm rooting for you! You're one of the good guys. Just don't want to see you led down the primrose path.

Here is my initial post from the thread "A simple question or two", posted on October 10, 2011:

Some players retain more lag deep into the downswing and have very solid looking impacts:

Screenshot2011-10-10at92703PM.jpg

Screenshot2011-10-10at92731PM.jpg

Screenshot2011-10-10at92814PM.jpg

Others lose the angle early and have flippy looking impacts:

Screenshot2011-10-10at92931PM.jpg

Screenshot2011-10-10at93025PM.jpg

Why? What are they doing differently? (Forgive me if the answers are buried somewhere in the 138 page thread, I just can't make myself go through it all).

Sorry, but I don't understand how just lining up the impact differently accounts for it, as I think Brian is saying here:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29646505?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>Charlie Brown and the Golf Swing from Brian Manzella on Vimeo.

Also, don't presume that I think "putting force across the shaft" is responsible. I don't. I never bought into that TGM stuff.

Also I think I have learned is that:
1- Club Shaft leaning forward at Impact doesn’t make you a Handle Dragger
2- ‘Flicking’ is good, ‘Flipping’ is not good into and through Impact
3- ‘Up and In’ is good, ‘Down and Out’ is not good into and through Impact (Coupling Point path)
4- Shaft Bowing (shaft kick) at impact is good and Shaft Droop will be there
5- Hands leading into impact, doesn’t make you a Handle Dragger in of itself
6- Applying or Creating Force across the shaft is not good
7- Lag if natural is good, Lag if forced/manipulated is not good
8- Hands and Club Head move at different rates

Martee,
First thanks for the effort and length of your post. I believe you were just writing a mental summary of what you've learned or may have learned, or may believe in - in regards to this thread. So this post isn't in regard to your convictions rather my own summary of these elements in relation to this thread and how clear the statements appear to me. Regardless of whether they correlate to the thread or not, 1,5,8 seem very clear and exact to me. 2- Not sure flicking and flipping have been defined will enough for me and not sure how you would "flick" without violating number 6. I personally don't believe in number 6 and the only relevance in the thread for me would be if you considered force across the shaft as coming only from handle dragging through the release, then it might have some relevance in that context. However, there is more than one way to create force across the shaft. 7 is probably the most unclear and in need of the most elaboration. 3- that's a dicey one - in the context of the 3rd person perspective - camera, I'm good with it, in the context of 1st person perspective - not necessarily a big fan. 5- 3rd person perspective i.e. camera - no problem I would agree, 1st person perspective - probably not as big of fan - you'd need to be careful. Sports - but let's just talk about golf instruction hasn't reached a level yet where anyone is clearly differentiating between different perspectives/contexts. There is no distinction between see, feel and do - of course the smarter ones will pick up on this and it's only a matter of 100 years or so and the masses will be clearly making those distinctions in swing discussions. Brian's probably the kind of guy that'll see it and move more in that direction.

Last edited:
Watching the latest video on the coupling point by Mike and Brian I was mimicking the move (without a club) by actively moving my wrists to line up the imaginary clubhead to where it would (or should) be at impact. The feel was that on a full swing I would almost be "slapping" the clubhead at the ball using a deliberate and conscious movement of my wrists.

As I have admitted in the past I am a novice hacker only looking (praying?) to improve so I'm going to go out on a limb again and come up with what might be just one more example of a bonehead question from me.

After doing my little mimic routine I had second thoughts on whether or not (for me) my wrists should be active or passive. Not only to effect the coupling point release but throughout my whole backswing through downswing and full release.

I'm a prime example of someone who while trying not to grip the club too tightly at address invariably tightens up my grip to allow my wrists to be actively involved in my backswing (possibly the result of misinterpreting instructions I've read about wrist cocking, etc.). That probably accounts a lot for my relatively slow swing speed, I'm all tight wrists, arms and shoulders.

Now I'm thinking that I should be keeping my wrists "passive" throughout my entire swing which should grant me more swing speed and as a bonus allow me to replicate what Mike and Brian are talking about in the video, but accomplishing it via a mostly natural unconscious act (or reaction) to a "freewheeling swing" than a conscious concerted manipulation of the club via active wrists.

If my concept of "passive wrists" in golf in general or the coupling point release specifically is totally bogus or just me re-hashing something that most if not all golfers *should* already be aware of (i.e. not even worth discussing) I'll figure that out by either "hearing crickets" on this comment or being told flat out that yep, I am asleep at the wheel, on this specifically and possibly golf in general.

Svenster - I asked a similar question re: actively hitting (or slapping) at the ball vs. no conscious effort in another thread. The general opinion seems to be the wrists break, but not through an active effort. I guess they slow down somewhat to pass the energy onto the club (and 'release' if you will) and the flick just happens from there. Someone may correct this; I asked 'cause I'm not sure myself.

I am beginning to think that loose wrists with a fairly firm grip would be ideal. If I loosen everything the club gets away from me in the backswing, but too tight and the whole swing is too rigid.

In this video when Tiger talks about bring the arms down is essentially what we want to be doing now to start the swing. Especially for hip spinners like myself.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Me & Mike Jacobs filmed the answer to Jeffy's question last night around midnight.

It is being uploaded now.

Please NO COMMENTS on Jeffy, or his questions, until I post it up.

THX,

Bmanz

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30539671?color=94E51E" width="700" height="525" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I would like to thank Jeffy for asking thoughtful and provocative questions related to the topic and also thank Brian and Mike for being a good sport to promptly respond to inquiries. This is a good role model in terms of exchanges of ideas: vigorous and stimulating. the man up version is just fine.

Perhaps to some Jeffy is jumping the gun. I tend to view his effort and his quest for knowledge in the same light that Mike and Brian are pursuing their own quests. Similar approach, just in different capacities. The last thing to consider is to simply accept what Mike and Brian are saying without further clarification and examination. M and B did not get to where they are by accepting the past and current literature on golf teaching, why should Jeffy? Because of Jeffy's inquiries and very pointed questions, M and B responded in ways that has made it possible for other viewers to understand better.

Columbus started out looking to find China and India and ended up in the Caribbeans. Every time he harbored on yet another Caribbean island, the thought he has reached far east mainland was alive and burning.

Looking back, he failed his original mission of finding China and India but found a new world. Perhaps through this experience golfers will find theirs.

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts for clarification as my understanding continues to evolve.

2- Not sure flicking and flipping have been defined will enough for me and not sure how you would "flick" without violating number (Flicking’ is good, ‘Flipping’ is not good into and through Impact)

A "flick" is the DELIBERATE straightening of the right wrist that RESULTS in a perfectly lined-up club at impact, increase speed, and decreased angle of attack. It also REQUIRES less around-ward pivoting.

A flip is the PREMATURE straightening of the right wrist that RESULTS in a backward leaning shaft at impact.

I would surmise that further the shaft is from Normal (vertical) at Impact (forward leaning) the less a ‘Flick’ will have an effect, at least a positive effect.

I DON’T like the ‘Deliberate’ concept and to be honest my concern on the Flick is that is it is a precise TIMING action. To me as an average golfer, the less I have to develop Timing actions in my sequence the higher probability is that I can have a consistent, predictable, repeatable golf stroke with good results. Let the Pros who life if golf develop and maintain the precise Timing, I want a golf stroke that is consistent, predictable, repeatable.

6. I personally don't believe in number 6 and the only relevance in the thread for me would be if you considered force across the shaft as coming only from handle dragging through the release, then it might have some relevance in that context. However, there is more than one way to create force across the shaft. (Applying or Creating Force across the shaft is not good)

My thought was in regard to Handle Dragging and Flipping. To be honest the ‘Force(s)’ aspect of these discussions leaves me a bit wondering. Since I can’t see them, according to much of what is posted I can’t feel them or if I do I will misinterpret them, I probably need to step back and evaluate this when I get a better understanding.

7 is probably the most unclear and in need of the most elaboration. (Lag if natural is good, Lag if forced/manipulated is not good)

Forced or Manipulated Lag IMO is when you make a conscientious effort, which for me translates into ‘Tension’, in the arms, in the wrists, in the hands/fingers. For example: trying to hold off the Release by freezing the wrists in the full golf stroke into the follow through. Now I do in fact use that technique of holding for small strokes, putting and chipping. I find that this simplifies the stroke, allowing for more control and consistency and maxing out club head speed is not factor.

Natural is probably not a good descriptive term but for me it works.

3- that's a dicey one - in the context of the 3rd person perspective - camera, I'm good with it, in the context of 1st person perspective - not necessarily a big fan. (‘Up and In’ is good, ‘Down and Out’ is not good into and through Impact (Coupling Point path))
‘Dicey’ is a good description. I understand the concept, the fact this is a monitoring point, but I really am trying to grasp how the rotations, the set up, and alignments through out the individual golf strokes impact the ‘Up and In’.

Also I am not ready to totally write off the ‘Down and Out’ in the golf stroke. Such as the Lag being held in certain conditions, I am thinking there are times the ‘Down and Out’ would be of value in the golf stroke.

5- 3rd person perspective i.e. camera - no problem I would agree, 1st person perspective - probably not as big of fan - you'd need to be careful. Sports - but let's just talk about golf instruction hasn't reached a level yet where anyone is clearly differentiating between different perspectives/contexts. There is no distinction between see, feel and do - of course the smarter ones will pick up on this and it's only a matter of 100 years or so and the masses will be clearly making those distinctions in swing discussions. Brian's probably the kind of guy that'll see it and move more in that direction. (Hands leading into impact, doesn’t make you a Handle Dragger in of itself)

The point here was that my take was just looking at or actually doing, ‘Hands leading into impact’, did not make you a Handle Dragger.

The Handle Dragger definition has been getting a lot of attention and what I would label as the layman’s definition for Handle Dragger is not at all clear. Hard to see a force, hard to be perpendicular to the swing plane for a FOV and with out some technology difficult to just glance at it and pin a label, HANDLE DRAGGER.

At this time, for me, I don’t believe that a list of traits exist that a golfer without technology and science can accurate identify a Handle Dragger. Even with a list of traits probably the best that can be done is to identify a golfer exhibiting traits of a Handle Dragger.

I am still learning.

Last edited:
Jeffy is doing nothing but challenging Brian and MJ's findings by using another teacher's theories. I'm surprised that is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.