Sergio Garcia:
photo2q.png

Francesco Molinari:
photo3sl.png

Edoardo Molinari:
photo4oz.png

Ben Hogan:
photo5i.png

Most important and best post in the last few days.

TeeAce

Adam Scott:
photo1gz.png

One of the biggest mistakes is watching something from that position, where decrease of rotation speed and many other forces are effecting to the club. Even few inches after impact we something opposite happens that what player is doing.

Thanks, Brian and Mike! I owe YOU guys another dinner for putting together another video for me at midnight. I loved that Italian place in Manorville and can't wait to go back.

OK, if I understood the "punch line": a player that was "trying" to get to a hands-ahead impact had a 102mph swingspeed with a three-wood and, according to the model, if he stopped trying to do that, he'd get 11 more mph.

That doesn't necessarily surprise me, although that IS quite a jump. I have seen plenty of players, you two included, that struck me as having lower clubhead speed than their potential because of trying to "force" a hands-ahead impact.

Since you brought it up, let me ask a question regarding clubhead speed. Here we have a bunch of players that have extreme lag and are among the leaders in clubhead speed on tour, and we have no reason to believe that they are trying to "force" a hands-ahead impact in a speed robbing fashion. So what are they doing differently than you two, or the guy your scientist measured?

Yeah, I know these lag angles aren't measured in 3D and the camera angles aren't perfect, but doesn't this information suggest some sort of disconnect in your model? If JB starts releasing like Jerry Kelly, his clubhead speed is going to 136mph from his current 125? If Alvaro starts releasing like Oosthuizen, he's going to pick up 25 yards? I don't think so. Why isn't Westwood already outdriving Alvaro? Lee's a big, strong guy. I think there must be a "good" way to get extreme lag and added distance, because that is what the biggest hitters are doing! That's what I'm trying to find out. So should you guys!

Jeffy - do you think that the lag causes the speed, or does the speed maybe cause the lag?

Maybe if Westwood had the handspeed that JB has - his clubhead would lag too.

jeffy

Banned
Also comparing Westwood to Quiros athletically seems a pretty unfair comparison. You put them guys in a foot race I know where my money is going. Now a hotdog eating contest, I'd reconsider.

Looks like you are a few years out of date:

The man who made Westwood swap chocolates for chin-ups - Golf, Sport - The Independent

A few highlights:

"The key for Lee was generating power in both the upper and lower body," said McGregor. "So he embarked on a lot of Olympic-type lifting. He is 'power-cleaning' more than 180 pounds and he is 'power-squatting' maybe twice that much. It's all about replicating the explosive effort Lee wants to make in his swing."

Although McGregor is constantly updating the training schedule, there are some ever-present exercises which included rotational squatting on "wobble cushions". The typical three-hour session sees Westwood start off with 30 minutes of cardiovascular, warm-up exercises; then an hour or so of the heavy stuff, then work on whichever specific issues he might have. This might involve dumbbell work to strengthen his wrists or more recently work to the ruptured calf muscle which has blighted the middle of his season. Rather incredibly, on his "weeks off" Westwood will complete this arduous schedule daily.

"Yes, in those weeks at home he probably will be spending an average of two and a half to three hours a day in the gym," said McGregor.

SEEMS AS IF.....it SEEEMS AS IF he has a valid point. IT SEEMED AS IF Homer Kelley had a valid point.

NEXT!

The Manzella Jacobs approach: "I'm right and you're wrong, cos we've spoken to scientists and you haven't."

You guys will fail in what you are trying to achieve (which is a pity) because you don't understand the nature of scientific pursuit and you are rude, disrespectful and arrogant, bordering on narcisstic

You were wrong about TGM but were convinced you were right. Now you believe something else and are still convinced you are right. You are just simply convinced you are right. End of.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
One of the biggest mistakes is watching something from that position, where decrease of rotation speed and many other forces are effecting to the club. Even few inches after impact we something opposite happens that what player is doing.

I completely disagree.

Are you teaching the good player to do something very different than the pics?

I am not.

Looks like you are a few years out of date:

The man who made Westwood swap chocolates for chin-ups - Golf, Sport - The Independent

A few highlights:

"The key for Lee was generating power in both the upper and lower body," said McGregor. "So he embarked on a lot of Olympic-type lifting. He is 'power-cleaning' more than 180 pounds and he is 'power-squatting' maybe twice that much. It's all about replicating the explosive effort Lee wants to make in his swing."

Although McGregor is constantly updating the training schedule, there are some ever-present exercises which included rotational squatting on "wobble cushions". The typical three-hour session sees Westwood start off with 30 minutes of cardiovascular, warm-up exercises; then an hour or so of the heavy stuff, then work on whichever specific issues he might have. This might involve dumbbell work to strengthen his wrists or more recently work to the ruptured calf muscle which has blighted the middle of his season. Rather incredibly, on his "weeks off" Westwood will complete this arduous schedule daily.

"Yes, in those weeks at home he probably will be spending an average of two and a half to three hours a day in the gym," said McGregor.

All that and athletlically he's still got nothing on Quiros. In case my tone before was unclear, I don't really think Westwood takes part in hotdog eating contests. He's no Joey Chestnut.

TeeAce

I like and teach hand and wrist positions in those pics to better players.

DO YOU?

What of them, there are different of them.

And anyway even those who got more bend left wrist, there don't have to be any active. Actually You can't avoid it because of forces.

If I put here 20 top players at impact and even bit after, 18 of them got bended right wrist, not left. What happens after that, balla can't know.

Can You explain one thing: How the bending left wrist and force to direction "normal" fits together? I can't see that connection in laws of physics.

i think people are completely missing the point now. from the very first video and the first post by brian and micheal. they stated quite clearly that trying to create false lag and massive forward lean can and is detrimental to alot of golfers. they never once mentioned that lag and forward lean is a bad thing. what they did say was for alot of people studying still pictures of certain professional golfers and then trying to create that same lag and forward lean by contrived unnatural motions might not be beneficial at all to that golfer. lag is a unique part of the swing just like a flat swing an upright swing a flying elbow etc, by all means try it and see if it helps but dont be chasing it like it is the holy grail. show me a golfer that creates massive lag and forward lean that hits it a country mile and i could show 10 others with the same massive lag and forward lean that powder puffs it.

Last edited:
Woodland is standing in a bunker and I can't even tell if the ball is in there with him or outside of it. Not a great example.

Wouldn't there be a high margin of error when you're showing still pictures of where the hands are in relation to the clubhead at impact when BM and MJ have said the club rotates about the CP. Seems like you would only see an image of where they were at photo time as opposed to what they were doing with the club through impact, but I could be wrong.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Not a bit. I have seen players who try to avoid it as much as possible and no one could. It's really obvious thing that it have to happen because of the deceleration of the inner circle.

Bed time.. see You tomorrow

I have a swing measured in a device like yours where I ADDED left wrist arch—10° of it—from impact to the finish!

Not once did I hear BM and team ask anyone to ACTIVELY bend the left wrist unless your having issue with forces going normal by ACTIVELY doing the opposite. BM and team have been constant in there teaching since day one to have some forward lean. The point is to control hand path and unleash what you have into the ball at the best possible angle of attack for optimal ball flight.

All these pictures don't tell us anything about what ball flight each player is trying for. Did Lee Buck tell anyone he trying to hit it low? This whole deal is about optimizing ball flight. Showing pictures of players playing golf is not the same.

jeffy

Banned
Woodland is standing in a bunker and I can't even tell if the ball is in there with him or outside of it. Not a great example.

Agreed, but you can clearly see the extreme lag late into the downswing, no early release.

Here is another imperfect pic, a little after impact. Looks like he "lines it up" just fine despite the extereme lag.

Woodlandimpact.png

Status
Not open for further replies.