Trackman data: PGA and LPGA Averages

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
The most interesting book I read about him was "The Match", by Mark Frost. I couldnt put it down, I highly recommend it. Nelson wrote a "little black book", sort of like the Penick books, that is pretty good too. I cant recall the names of some of the others I've read featuring him.

Last edited:
The most interesting book I read about him was "The Match", by Mark Frost. I couldnt put it down, I highly recommend it. Nelson wrote a "little black book", sort of like the Penick books, that is pretty good too. I cant recall the names of some of the others I've read featuring him.
Good enough endorsment for me I'll pick that up. Thanks

I think Byron Nelson might have earned this title. Retired at 32 in 1946, one year after winning 11 in a row and 18 total wins on the season (with a 68.37 scoring average).q Once he had enough money to buy the ranch he wanted, that was it. I've been studying a lot about him, he was amazing. If he hadn't retired so young we might have never even heard of Hogan. :p

Also struggled with nervous tension. A lot. Used to literally heave before big events. I think it got to him. So did Jones for that matter, used OLd Grandad as a post round sedative! Also there was so little money then. Nelson wanted the farm more than the tour.

Also struggled with nervous tension. A lot. Used to literally heave before big events. I think it got to him. So did Jones for that matter, used OLd Grandad as a post round sedative! Also there was so little money then. Nelson wanted the farm more than the tour.

Different eras, so comparisons are difficult. Imagine Nelson winning about 4 times the events that Lietzke did and 5 times as many majors, yet probably cashed a fraction of what BL did. And let's face it, even Lietzke's were lean times compared to today's earnings!

Thanks DC. Not something that is widely known about BN.Any thoughts about Duval? Got bored with the game, lost the fire in the belly, stress, couldn't be assed anymore?

Thanks DC. Not something that is widely known about BN.Any thoughts about Duval? Got bored with the game, lost the fire in the belly, stress, couldn't be assed anymore?

A bit off the topic but...there's a great story that Hogan walked into the locker room at the Augusta National prior to his 1942 playoff round with Nelson and found Nelson with his head in the toilet! Hogan actually offered to "move the match back a little" if the rules officials would allow! Nelson said something like "no I'll be fine, this always happens"...Nelson won the playoff. Duval should be a whole thread; his collapse was not without precedent but was probably as improbable as any. I would think Feinstein or the like would have a book topic there? Some say he started hooking the ball and it freaked him out?

Dariusz J.

Nelson never faced Hogan in his prime. He would have had no chances against Hogan in 1951-53 period. It is silly to bring this argument again that Nelson won everything when he was the best and when Hogan was the best Nelson wasn't here. Geeez.

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Nelson never faced Hogan in his prime. He would have had no chances against Hogan in 1951-53 period. It is silly to bring this argument again that Nelson won everything when he was the best and when Hogan was the best Nelson wasn't here. Geeez.

Cheers

Every time you go on a spectacular run of great posts you can't help but say something so off the wall it puts a dent in your credibility. Why do you insists on saying these bizarre things? To say Nelson would have no chance against Hogan would suggest that Hogan won every event he entered in that time frame...which of course he didn't. So by definition, he would have had a real good chance.

Btw, have enjoyed and learned from your posts lately.

Dariusz J.

Every time you go on a spectacular run of great posts you can't help but say something so off the wall it puts a dent in your credibility. Why do you insists on saying these bizarre things? To say Nelson would have no chance against Hogan would suggest that Hogan won every event he entered in that time frame...which of course he didn't. So by definition, he would have had a real good chance.

Btw, have enjoyed and learned from your posts lately.

OK, I have exaggerated, he would have had chances, but much smaller than in pre-secret Hogan's times. Hope this is more correct. What I wanted to say is it is stupid to compare Nelson and Hogan not taking into account that in fact they did not fight against each other when Hogan was in his best years.

I am constantly learning from real players that surpass my abilities by miles, you included in one of very first places, the more your last sentence makes me proud.

Cheers

natep

New
I wasnt comparing them, just making a joke about the fact that Hogan didnt really start tearing up the tour until Nelson was gone. A lot of people point out that Nelson's streak was won during WWII and that the fields were weaker, which is probably true to some degree. But Nelson was also scoring his ass off, not just barely winning. When Nelson got his tenth win in a row, Hogan came in runner-up 11 shots behind. He also faced Snead, Byrd, Penna, Sarazen, Laffoon, and many other greats during his 1945 season. His 68.37 scoring average has only been beaten by Tiger in 2000.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

I wasnt comparing them, just making a joke about the fact that Hogan didnt really start tearing up the tour until Nelson was gone.

Just a coincidence, as many of them are present in our lives. Hogan's post-secret times started when Nelson was already gone.

Cheers

68.33 is gonna beat most anybody in their prime THAT YEAR. Because no one matched that scoring average for 55 years. That's like saying Wilt's 100 points was against a pre-modern NBA, So what. Or Oakmont was wet when Miller shot 63. So what. Give the man his due THAT YEAR.

Dariusz J.

Maybe Nelson told Hogan his secret.

Whaaat?

Unlikely. It is well known that pros that times kept their "secrets". Moreover, Hogan and Nelson (include Snead, too) were rivals. Hogan was upset a lot that every time he faced Nelson he lost (almost every time he faced Snead he lost as well).
It changed in his post-secret era with Snead. It would have changed with Nelson as well with a very big probability.

Cheers

Dariusz J.

68.33 is gonna beat most anybody in their prime THAT YEAR. Because no one matched that scoring average for 55 years. That's like saying Wilt's 100 points was against a pre-modern NBA, So what. Or Oakmont was wet when Miller shot 63. So what. Give the man his due THAT YEAR.

Not a word more not a word less.

Cheers

Little known facts about Ben Hogan....

When Ben Hogan looks in the mirror, it breaks because it is smart enough to know not to get in the middle of Ben Hogan and Ben Hogan.

Ben Hogan turns on a night light when he goes to bed. It's not because he's scared of the dark - it's Because the dark is scared of him.

Ben Hogan's tears can cure cancer; too bad he has never cried.

Crop circles are Ben Hogan's way of telling the world that sometimes corn needs to lie the f*ck down.

Ben Hogan can slam a revolving door.

Believe it...

Status
Not open for further replies.