Ryder Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
Poulter is a bad dude. He only does work when it's time to break hearts. I hate his look and it is a golf course, but he brings the noise.

I have not been a Poulter fan since he ran into me at Firestone on his way to his ball. Seems I was in his way. I was standing basically by myself about fifty yards off the tee in the rough trying to figure out which hole I wanted to go to next. Now that I see how he can focus I think he was on his way to his ball and did not even see me.

You have to respect the performance he put on yesterday in the face of pressure. And those were not five easy holes he birdied in a row yesterday afternoon. Balls like a Rhino.

He's an anchor alright.

He's going out last today, but not because he's there for any strategy... he's there because the 11 (Stricker) and 12 (Tiger) spots are as far away from the action as Love can put these two. His match will have zero impact on the outcome, and he's in the "anchor" spot because he and Stricker have been the sinking anchors all week. Each team is throwing their "anchors" out last hoping like crazy it won't come down to garbage time. Tiger teeing off at 1:04 is like putting the 3rd string QB in with 1:04 left on the clock in a blowout game.

Good on Love, he's giving the ballers the chance to finish what they started, and is putting the scrubs as far away from the action as possible.

Considering Poulter's path to where he is now, I think you are underestimating what he is capable of accomplishing in the rest of his career. He can flip the switch under the brightest lights, be careful in writing him off.

I think Poulter's career looks a lot like Monty's. A ton of Euro victories but unable to break through in stroke play on US soil. Poulter is made for the Ryder cup cause he plays great for short spurts. I think he gets the most out of his ability.

I understand your point, I just don't see the fairness in summarizing his career with so much time left on the clock. Who's career did he remind you of when he was working as a club pro a few years back. My point was that he came a long long long way from the club pro career and considering that, it is tough to predict how far he will take it going forward. I see no point in guessing what he will do, because I don't know anyone who saw his career coming and guessed this.

True, but that is an eternity compared to his peers. The Hall of Fame will come down to charisma too and he is second on tour in twitter followers behind TW so you can bet that will count for something. I could easily see him winning a couple of majors (the Open or the PGA) continuing to dominate match play formats and the ryder cup stage and getting in. JMO. Obviously he isn't there yet and isn't done yet either.

Could there be a greater advertisment for how strong/focused a tour pro's mind is than watching him stone-cold shank it on one of the most important days in his golfing career, and then carrying on as if nothing ever happened...?
Kudos to Simpson

Observations:

1. Too many par 3's over water. I feel like #13 and #17 are the same hole with different tee boxes.
2. #15 is a bad drivable par 4 with the water just right of the green. Everybody is bailing left.
3. Announcers have used the word "momentum" 1237 times.
4. Paul Lawrie's golf swing is underrated.
5. "You are a business pro" commercials really getting annoying.
6. Tiger needs to play with someone other than Stricker.
7. Have a hard time believing that dead people "are up there watching". I would hope there are better things to do up there than watch sports?

Observations:

1. Too many par 3's over water. I feel like #13 and #17 are the same hole with different tee boxes.
2. #15 is a bad drivable par 4 with the water just right of the green. Everybody is bailing left.
3. Announcers have used the word "momentum" 1237 times.
4. Paul Lawrie's golf swing is underrated.
5. "You are a business pro" commercials really getting annoying.
6. Tiger needs to play with someone other than Stricker.
7. Have a hard time believing that dead people "are up there watching". I would hope there are better things to do up there than watch sports?

Could there be a greater advertisment for how strong/focused a tour pro's mind is than watching him stone-cold shank it on one of the most important days in his golfing career, and then carrying on as if nothing ever happened...?
Kudos to Simpson

Equally impressive is how the gallery carried on as if it didn't happen as they positioned themselves for his recovery tightly down his right side. :eek:

Supreme choke job in progress. Phil's was one of the worst I've seen.

Nice job furyk.

Last edited:
b455bf088571876ec64b50237af6b86a_10404choking.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.