Ryder Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, my reaction to all this is that this represents the changing of the guard. DLIII picked Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk for their experience and they turned out to be horrible picks. Because yes, they do have a lot of experience--at losing. I've got a feeling that this might also be the last Ryder Cup for Mickelson too.

So from here on out, we'll probably see Tiger, possibly Zach Johnson and a bunch of young guns. And the U.S. team will probably be a lot better as a result.

lia41985

What do the stats show? Who has a better short game and putting stroke? Bubba or Luke?
Luke hit more fairways and greens and didn't putt as well as he usually does. I'll be busy doing some laughing hyenas while you regroup with Freddy and Melvin.

I blame Jack. He's the one who suggested this continent vs a country stuff! Thomas Paine said it it makes no sense!

lia41985

Captions needed:
2i89oi1.jpg

xppy4w.jpg

ZAP

New
This press conference is a drunken mess. Seems the reporters and the players are all drunk. Sergio is hammered and Luke Donald better not be driving anywhere tonight.

You know your team only needs 4-1/2 points to win the cup.

You know the other team has to come out guns-a-blazin' with a top heavy lineup to even have a chance.

You are a so called unbelievable competitor.

How in the hell do you ask/want to be in the 12 spot?

How are you not one of the first 6 out to either step on their throats or squash any momentum?

How do you sit back and let 3 rookies (of the first 6) take your place on the front line?

It's not easy to hide on a 12 man team, but I guess if you try hard enough...

Mike Chamblee ???

As puzzled as we all should be, knowing their only strategy was to come out guns blazing out of the gate we went into a prevent defense....

Fair enough but on the other hand, it was hard to imagine that things would melt down so badly that Tiger's match would be irrelevant. And I think that was the logic. If things melt down badly, you want a pressure player like Tiger there as your firewall.

Come on, Lift... hard to imagine? It was 10-6. To have any chance, Europe had to come out swinging fast. If you think you have a firewall on your team, what possible good is that firewall once the walls and roof are going up in flames.

If things did not melt down badly, Tiger's match would've been irrelevant. However, things did melt down badly, and Tiger's match was still irrelevant. It would have taken crazy odds for his match to actually be relevant. He could've made absolutely sure his point counted, but that was the problem.

You know Europe absolutely has to win a lot of points and quickly, what do you think the odds are that McIlroy, Poulter, Westwood, Colsaert, Donald, Garcia or Rose will be sent out dead last in the lineup? So... if you want to counter their best players and overall strategy, what is the absolute worst spot in the line up you would want your leader, your #1 ranked player, and your leading team qualifier to say he wanted to be sent out? This wasn't a strategical chess match today, it was 3rd grade checkers. And the crowned king didn't want to come off the back row.

Come on, Lift... hard to imagine? It was 10-6. To have any chance, Europe had to come out swinging fast. If you think you have a firewall on your team, what possible good is that firewall once the walls and roof are going up in flames.

If things did not melt down badly, Tiger's match would've been irrelevant. However, things did melt down badly, and Tiger's match was still irrelevant. It would have taken crazy odds for his match to actually be relevant. He could've made absolutely sure his point counted, but that was the problem.

You know Europe absolutely has to win a lot of points and quickly, what do you think the odds are that McIlroy, Poulter, Westwood, Colsaert, Donald, Garcia or Rose will be sent out dead last in the lineup? So... if you want to counter their best players and overall strategy, what is the absolute worst spot in the line up you would want your leader, your #1 ranked player, and your leading team qualifier to say he wanted to be sent out? This wasn't a strategical chess match today, it was 3rd grade checkers. And the crowned king didn't want to come off the back row.

King that man!

The whole thing about loading the line up heavy in the front or back has never made any sense to me. 18 hole matches? Basically the top 24 players in the world? Coin tosses at best who'll win. All you have to do is watch the world match play every year to see that an 18 hole match des not usually expose the better or worse player.

The captains picks of Furyk and Stricker blew. The one massively important putt Furyk had this year he ripped 6 feet by the hole at Firestone. That would've prevented me picking him from the outset.

The first matches to end have the most value, that's why they hid a guy that has not won a single match in two ryder cups at the very back, in hopes it wouldn't come down to him. There were bigger dragons to be slayed than Molinari...and we KNEW they would all be at the front of their lineup. Our best players need to match up man to man and go after those points.

I also think being able to go 5 rounds is a tremendous advantage. A guy like Rickie Fowler would have been a nice asset to have available if Keegan wants to keep playing past Phil's bedtime. If Fowler has a bad round in the AM you can still send him back out in the PM and trust him to find something. He is not so old that we have to save him for Sunday. They kept Mcilroy out there for all 5 rounds and broke up him and Mcdowell for Saturday afternoon, subbed in Poulter and the rest is history. We didn't split up a single team. I think you kinda have to in order to keep your players that are in the best form out on the golf course.

The whole thing about loading the line up heavy in the front or back has never made any sense to me. 18 hole matches? Basically the top 24 players in the world? Coin tosses at best who'll win. All you have to do is watch the world match play every year to see that an 18 hole match des not usually expose the better or worse player.

The captains picks of Furyk and Stricker blew. The one massively important putt Furyk had this year he ripped 6 feet by the hole at Firestone. That would've prevented me picking him from the outset.

I've always thought the lineup thing was overblown, except for 1999 when we truly had the better team and the idea worked out. Really though, I'm not sure if it was the lineup or something else (fate, the ghost of Ouimet?)

I never really understood the Furyk or Stricker picks. I assume Stricker was picked because of he has been the only decent partner with Eldrick. Hindsight being what it is though that pick looks really bad. I would have never picked Furyk for the same reason AND his performance in the U.S. Open this year and some other choke jobs he's pulled.

lia41985

The Euros front-loaded in winning the '02 Cup, too. Psychology is an amazing thing. It goes without saying that not every golfer can be so rational in that setting.

Who needed the heimlich and who didn't?????

Here's each match and how it/they faired to par...

1. Donald (-4) vs Watson (-2): Donald wins 2&1

2. Poulter (-2) vs Simpson (E): Poulter wins 2up

3. McIlroy (-5) vs Bradley (-2): McIlroy wins 2&1

4. Rose (-6) vs Mickelson (-3): Rose wins 1up

5. Lawrie (-6) vs Snedeker (E): Lawrie wins 5&3

6. Colsaerts (+1) vs D. Johnson (-2): Johnson wins 3&2

7. McDowell (+2) vs Z. Johnson (E): Johnson wins 2&1

8. Garcia (-2) vs Furyk (-1): Garcia wins 1up

9. Hanson (-1) vs Dufner (-4): Dufner wins 2up

10. Westwood (-3) vs Kuchar (E): Westwood wins 3&2

11. Kymer (+1) vs Stricker (+1): Kymer wins 1up

12. Molinari (+1) vs Woods (+1): Halved

7 rounds shot in the 60's (in bold), 2 by US and 5 by EUR.

6 rounds shot over par, 2 by US and 4 by EUR.

US score to par was -12.

EUR score to par was -24.

Status
Not open for further replies.