Anyone see anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL as bad as the cards are running for me right now I'm not gona chance it!
Looking at some old video and i think my hips worked better than they do now . Here's a clip from 2 years ago when i started

He used to sponsor Orville Moody and run around with a lot of the pros back in his day. He's 86 and still can hit it pretty good lol

lia41985

The Wagner video shows the tumble, but the most important part happens before that
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/daEOOzWHJjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tA20_yiqDyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
I also think you turn your shoulders improperly on the backswing and that's a big reason why you can't "tangential" to "tumble." The club goes "in" (on the backswing) mostly via arm swing. Check out this post by Richard Franklin:
Biggest nuggets for me from the 3D ... I had the spine figured wrong... I was under the impression that for the sake of being "centered" ( every time I said that word mike appeared a little nauceous) the golfer must add in side bend AND a decent amount of back extension . Without these elements the golfer would surely have that dreaded overly rightward lean at the top with full retention of forward bend. 4 deg. Maximum back extension value for the top of swing. 4 f'n degrees. Wowee. Back to the drawing board on that one. Basically how I'm looking at spine/ centering stuff is that you should take your forward bend value of an orthodox setup , side bend that amount, dont sway/ overturn, and you've got a pretty good feel for backswing torso movement.

Pete goes to 3D...grossly over pivoting (Brian had tightened it in some as well), 118 degrees of thorax rotation , and plus 10 back extension. Okay so now we've got the whole picture. Pete could go play great with his TM session, but now he really knows why he can't stop his swing from going astray more often than he would like. His over pivot was getting one number to jump of the screen.. Ipsi directional stretch time . This value measures total and duration of shoulder stretch when the the lead arm and thorax are moving in the same direction on the downswing. Pete's duration of Ipsi stretch was LONG. You see what's happening. Pete was substituting turn with back extension, had a mile to the ball and was having to arm drag for days.. As mike pointed out this was a long dainty swing.. Not utlilizing stretch - shortening , no decel, etc.
After you've achieved the proper depth on the backswing via an improved turn the Gary Player "move" along with the Rickie Fowler "move" will help you hit it better, I believe. One thing to be careful for: just because you're reducing the arm swing on the backswing doesn't mean you should do the same on the downswing. In fact, give yourself more arm swing on the downswing once you've worked on all of these moves. The added arm swing with a quieter downswing pivot will help you "get open" more easily. Basically, I like the idea of less arm swing and more body pivot on the backswing to get the club in a place where the body can then support a free arm swing on the downswing.

Also, do you mind attaching some photographs of your grip? I think a change may be needed there as well. If it's not the grip then it may be that whatever it is I'm seeing is related to how you think your forearms, wrists, and hands should move in the swing. Meaning, on the backswing I would consider making a change in the amount of right wrist extension (i.e. lessening it). However, I think that motion may be symptomatic of an improperly/under-turned backswing.

By the way, I think your swing looked best when you were working with that instructor. Why'd you change?

Last edited:
Seriously, what are the chances you'll be struck by lightning? Get out there and get in some work!

(If anyone was struck by lightning, I'm only kidding with him)

Hell we ran across across the whole course in a lightning storm at Oakmont one time. Why? Cause we were stupid!

lia41985

By the way, "tangential" means the away from the target/head movement of the hands in the transition of the swing. If you think that move is too counter-intuitive and unconventional to employ perhaps this footage of some pretty good golfers can convince you to at least give it a shot:

Jones:
2z3vsar.png

rk0841.png

Snead:
2i6idg3.png

50iohx.png

Hogan:
ix6pmq.png

1zbulo2.png

Palmer:
e88miq.png

r21ajd.png

4tsf1c.png

2djpai1.png

Nelson:
b5lceg.png

51qc6h.png

Player:
23usosn.png

2lntwti.png

Tiger:
ckj2u.png

a0v4nk.png

Jack:
10pzwqf.png

2aklmz6.png

Last edited:
Poker,
A little torso rotation added to your take back could assist in setting up
a more pulled to your right top of the back swing location. From here it may
be easier to get some tumble (may have a sense of more time to set up the downswing).
My 2 cents

Thanks for the info. Not sure how you post pictures on here so i can show you my grip.
Not sure why i changed. I remember back then i used to come over the top pretty bad so i started to video myself and the can of worms opened from there.

I know my takeaway is horrible so maybe your on to something about my hands and forearms in the swing. I try to change my takeaway all the time but on video I am always lifting the club up and to the outside lol

Poker,
A little torso rotation added to your take back could assist in setting up
a more pulled to your right top of the back swing location. From here it may
be easier to get some tumble (may have a sense of more time to set up the downswing).
My 2 cents

Thanks , With my irons i don't feel much of a weight shift. Just try to stay centered over the ball. Could be a problem .

lia41985

Matt,
I don't think it's a rightward shift that he needs on the backswing. I think he just needs the right notion of what a proper backswing feels like. A rightward shift may only flatten his shoulder turn more and necessitate more arm swing on the backswing, which I do not think he needs.

pokerlife,
Please check your private message inbox.

Last edited:
Matt,
I don't think it's a rightward shift that he needs on the backswing. I think he just needs the right notion of what a proper backswing feels like. A rightward shift may only flatten his shoulder turn more and necessitate more arm swing on the backswing, which I do not think he needs.

pokerlife,
Please check your private message inbox.

I see arms dominated start back pulling everything back. Don't think a little separation
between the torso and hips would hurt this situation.
He does a good job of trying to stay centered. :)

Ya my backswing feels dominated by the Arms. Feels like my arms turn my shoulders and my shoulders pull my chest around

Watched a slo mo video of Luke Donald and worked on my takeaway for about 3 hours tonight . Mine was absolutely horrible I mean really look at it . I pick the club up and lift it way outside . This new take away and backswing I worked on really feels good. I have that feeling that it's really good lol! It changed the whole perspective of the swing for me!

Will get some video at range tomorrow and hopefully ill leave my goat there :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.