Vertical Hand Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Vertical handpath is probably a poor choice of words as it implies the hands drop straight down but that doesn't mean a player shouldn't be at least attempting at a more downward handpath.

Sergio's hands may not drop straight down but they track a steeper path than an OTT 30 handicap slicer hacker.Here is Sergio describing what he feels and what he is trying to achieve with his hands.

Great swing! I think the hand path is great! Shaft just might be a little too across the line at the top......

Thanks, I don't even like looking at that now. But, mid to high 80's with that swing. Swing now after working with a better handpath and some other things high 70's to low 80's. Way better control now.

Really worked more on getting the left arm more vertical at shaft last parallel, which feels like the hands moving more vertical from the top. Throw in the pivot and the hands can't move straight down.

Last edited:
OTT

ej20,

Here is my take on the OTT 30-handicap scenario you're describing:

Another thought:

Say you're dealing with a 25-handicapper who hits huge 200-yard slices with his driver. His hand path from the top might very well be horizontal, ending up with a sweet spot plane that is too steep.

Could "vertical hand path" be the right fix for this golfer? On the one hand, I can see how trying to do that from the top might shallow out his swing plane. But on the other hand, couldn't he end up with his right elbow stuck way behind his right hip coming into impact?

Do you not think that getting the right elbow stuck way behind the right hip is a risk?

Thanks, I don't even like looking at that now. But, mid to high 80's with that swing. Swing now after working with a better handpath and some other things high 70's to low 80's. Way better control now.

Interesting! How does your current hand path differ from that YouTube video?

ej20

New
ej20,

Here is my take on the OTT 30-handicap scenario you're describing:

Do you not think that getting the right elbow stuck way behind the right hip is a risk?
If you just drop the hands and straighten your right arm without enough pitch elbow then yes the right elbow will get stuck.

If you just drop the hands and straighten your right arm without enough pitch elbow then yes the right elbow will get stuck.

ej20,

I'm not sure that holding or straightening the right elbow bend has much to do with this issue. Check out this guy's swing:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LcshvhnSZAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is what I'm afraid might happen to a lot of people who try to aggressively shove their hands down vertically. This guy has plenty of right arm bend at impact. But his right elbow is stuck miles behind his right hip.

jimmyt

New
Lifter,

Doesn't the video that Brian did on his back porch answer your vertical vs horizontal hand path concerns.......

ej20

New
ej20,

I'm not sure that holding or straightening the right elbow bend has much to do with this issue. Check out this guy's swing:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LcshvhnSZAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is what I'm afraid might happen to a lot of people who try to aggressively shove their hands down vertically. This guy has plenty of right arm bend at impact. But his right elbow is stuck miles behind his right hip.

I don't see a downward handpath in this swing.If anything the hands track straight towards the ball from the get go.

As for pitch elbow,you should be able to see from dtl that the right forearm stays vertical and in some instances actually get more vertical in the initial stage of the downswing.In this swing the right forearm goes from vertical to horizontal to start the downswing.This is not enough pitch elbow and too much punch elbow and this will result in the right elbow stuck miles behind the body.

Sorry for the use of TGM terms but for lack of better words.

Work in progress:

Haven't videod the swing since these.

I'm not a golf instructor but........

This swing looks like a HUGE improvement from the one you made in jeans. The thing that really stands out is your address position. You were so bent over previously that it looked unusual. Good so see that you've been able to make that change.

You've almost managed to achieve a big reduction in your hip thrust off the tush line. Good going! There's still a teeny-tiny hip thrust as you approach impact but I dunno if that's the main thing you need to focus on.

I don't see a downward handpath in this swing.If anything the hands track straight towards the ball from the get go.

As for pitch elbow,you should be able to see from dtl that the right forearm stays vertical and in some instances actually get more vertical in the initial stage of the downswing.In this swing the right forearm goes from vertical to horizontal to start the downswing.This is not enough pitch elbow and too much punch elbow and this will result in the right elbow stuck miles behind the body.

Sorry for the use of TGM terms but for lack of better words.

Excellent post, ej20, thanks! You're right that I didn't pick the best example.

Still think that horizontal hand path promotes right elbow more forward and vice versa. But maybe I'm wrong!

You've almost managed to achieve a big reduction in your hip thrust off the tush line. Good going! There's still a teeny-tiny hip thrust as you approach impact but I dunno if that's the main thing you need to focus on.

The best part, I wasn't concerned about the "hip thrust" and didn't try to change it. Just how and when I apply force on the club with the hands and handpath.

The best part, I wasn't concerned about the "hip thrust" and didn't try to change it. Just how and when I apply force on the club with the hands and handpath.

I'd love to learn how hands and handpath can help reduce hip thrust.

But just glancing through your historical videos, you seem to have reduced the thrust a lot when you started standing taller at address. Here is a good example of you standing taller at address in March 2011: 3-11-11.AVI - YouTube

Looks like a ton less hip thrust to me!

Lifter, I'm curious if you think that "hip thrust" is a cause or an effect?

How often do players "hip thrust" during their practice swings?

Sorry guys, I was not able to get on till now. My references to a vertical hand path are meant in terms of being Less out..

In the tumble thread and any time I am speaking in terms of hand path it is in the down the line view while the cameras sits dead behind the hands, parallel to the target line and exactly hand high. I never speak in teams of vertical hand path from face on.

If you want facts just dot the hand paths, from the down the line view, of many of the best ball strikers then dot the lines of a bad ball striker. Tell me which is more vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.