"12 Nights at the Academy" begins tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss Academy live. I was a guest student for Don Trahan and almost killed him accidentally. The host was Jerry Foltz and he told Don not to step on the matt while the student is swinging and Don stepped up mid swing and I stopped the club about an inch from his head. I was a fill in student and had never met him before. All I remember was "into the catchers mitt and up the tree", I had no idea what he was talking about.
Ric

Did anyone catch the Martin Hall episode last night? I thought he did a great job of explaining extension through impact. Pepperoni pizza and prime rib :). Although it was not technical in nature, he had some great tips for people who flip. Only problem I had was that when he talked about hitting it straight he said you need a path that points at the target and a square face to the target?!? I know he knows about the d-plane so I wonder if he chose not to mention it because of TGC. Great simple info on not flipping though.

I was not impressed. The show is dumbed down to the target audience, which is not
the people on this forum. All the gimmicky gadgets, sayings, and well practiced delivery
will not have me tuning in, but I expect many will be excited by him. He is an excellent
showman.

dbl

New
Yes I caught Hall on the dvr. Pretty good presentation overall. When he was on the Direction segment and the ball was on the ground and he brought out a plane board I thought he might get into dplane and impact...but did not. Also, I was not enthused about the onplane emphasis.

Tips for fading and drawing (or at least fighting a slice) was holding off the hands (right palm up) or rolling (left palm up) after impact.

Yes I caught Hall on the dvr. Pretty good presentation overall. When he was on the Direction segment and the ball was on the ground and he brought out a plane board I thought he might get into dplane and impact...but did not. Also, I was not enthused about the onplane emphasis.

Tips for fading and drawing (or at least fighting a slice) was holding off the hands (right palm up) or rolling (left palm up) after impact.

Yeah... like I said the only section that I was really happy with was the section on distance which is a great way to learn to not flip it. The other sections not so impressed, I think TGC pressures people to keep it really simple to the extent of misleading people.

dbl

New
When Lerner asked something about ways of learning for people, Hall said X Y and of course watching the golf channel. :shock:

I have always enjoyed the singular style of Martin Hall. I think it is his English accent, self-deprecating humor, and interesting imagination that I find harmonious. I thought he did well – bias acknowledged.

However, I did bristle when he brought out his plane board as my first thought was, “Hey, that’s Brian’s stuff! You can’t touch Brian’s junk!!”- bias acknowledged:)

I also miss Golf Academy live. Although I would imagine it would be pricey to run that show. Occasionally you'd see an instructor that was very good and could figure out something wrong with a golf swing. I remember there was a Canadian who really had a nice looking golf swing and the instructor figured out that his problem was he had a slight re-grip at the top of the swing. But that answer didn't suffice for the Canadian student. Or the time when a female instructor got up, shanked one and missed the net. Or the time when Nick Faldo called up clearly drunk.

Fun times.

I would love to see them do a 'Biggest Loser' contest with instruction. I think it would generate the interest to offset the costs.

3JACK

I also miss Golf Academy live. Although I would imagine it would be pricey to run that show. Occasionally you'd see an instructor that was very good and could figure out something wrong with a golf swing. I remember there was a Canadian who really had a nice looking golf swing and the instructor figured out that his problem was he had a slight re-grip at the top of the swing. But that answer didn't suffice for the Canadian student. Or the time when a female instructor got up, shanked one and missed the net. Or the time when Nick Faldo called up clearly drunk.

Fun times.

I would love to see them do a 'Biggest Loser' contest with instruction. I think it would generate the interest to offset the costs.

3JACK

The shank was classic....I remember the Faldo being talked about but do not remember seeing it.

Did anyone catch the Martin Hall episode last night? I thought he did a great job of explaining extension through impact. Pepperoni pizza and prime rib :). Although it was not technical in nature, he had some great tips for people who flip. Only problem I had was that when he talked about hitting it straight he said you need a path that points at the target and a square face to the target?!? I know he knows about the d-plane so I wonder if he chose not to mention it because of TGC. Great simple info on not flipping though.

How do you know that he didn't assume impact to be at Low Point?:p

Martin's a good teaching pro. But for the record, I beat his Golf Channel demo by three days with this video using a green laser pointer and a plane board :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXFlrYCXbc[/media]

Only problem I had was that when he talked about hitting it straight he said you need a path that points at the target and a square face to the target?!? I know he knows about the d-plane so I wonder if he chose not to mention it because of TGC.

In order to hit a straight shot, you DO need a path that points at the target and a square face to the target. It's the HORIZONTAL PLANE LINE that needs to be skewed left (not the PATH) if you are hitting down on the ball.

Good Pick Up MJ. I was thinking the same thing.

I thought Martin was terrific and hope to see him on a regular basis. He is a Top 10 on my list, great fusion of technique and application.

In order to hit a straight shot, you DO need a path that points at the target and a square face to the target. It's the HORIZONTAL PLANE LINE that needs to be skewed left (not the PATH) if you are hitting down on the ball.

Could you please explain the difference between the two. I know that the true path of the club is going towards the target because when swinging down it causes a down and out path, but I am confused as to what the difference is between horizontal plane line and path. I am still learning and sorry for the confusion. :confused:

natep

New
ffejeff224, look at this :

[media]http://johngrahamgolf.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/D-Plane-iron-impact-for-straight-shot.jpg[/media]

The horizontal plane line is the green line.

The path is the red line.

dbl

New
Nate, that's funny I agree with that pic, but I wouldnt have called the red "arc" the path. Maybe that's where you and have disagreed about path.

For paths I only think of two, the green line path, tangential to the red "arc"/path, and the true path (the blue resultant). I, or any golfer, can have any and every dipsy doodle 15 plane and loop-filled "red" swing they want prior to impact but are utlimately doing so to produce the green line and resultant blue line (and of course some sort of face orientation not shown on this image).

And considering that the red "arc"/path is not germain to impact, maybe look at just a small segment of it...like 1" before the ball and 1" after the ball, and that would basically be (for a small enough segment) the green line (for someone who aims his club's gross path down the target line).

Last edited:
Could you please explain the difference between the two. I know that the true path of the club is going towards the target because when swinging down it causes a down and out path, but I am confused as to what the difference is between horizontal plane line and path. I am still learning and sorry for the confusion. :confused:

No sweat. The pic that natep posted is a good one.

If that doesn't help enough, try searching for Brian's U-plane and check out this thread:
http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/golfing-discussions/12358-u-plane-d-plane.html

Since we are swinging on an arc (of some kind), as we swing down, we swing out. So, if we are swinging down on the ball, we are swinging out (relative to our swing "plane"). This "plane" is our HSP. Our HSP can be interpreted as the general direction of our swing. Often, our HSP is where we align our shoulders or feet. Any shot where we are hitting down on the ball, our HSP will be left of our swing PATH. Any shot where we are hitting up on the ball (teed up drivers), our HSP will be right of our swing PATH.

I hope this starts to help...there's TONNES (commonwealth spelling) of good info on this very topic here on this website. Thank you Brian.

No sweat. The pic that natep posted is a good one.
Since we are swinging on an arc (of some kind), as we swing down, we swing out. So, if we are swinging down on the ball, we are swinging out (relative to our swing "plane"). This "plane" is our HSP. Our HSP can be interpreted as the general direction of our swing. Often, our HSP is where we align our shoulders or feet. Any shot where we are hitting down on the ball, our HSP will be left of our swing PATH. Any shot where we are hitting up on the ball (teed up drivers), our HSP will be right of our swing PATH.

So the question becomes - does the player align left of target for an iron and use his normal swing?

Or does the player align train tracks style with the target and take the club outside the target line and what would be considered traditional layed off at the top and swing left thus tilting his HSP left? Then layed off would not really be layed off but rather on plane for a straight ball flight.
Like EK in his drill video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnjIWbqNMQ&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Between the picture and mj's post I can safely say that we were talking about the same thing, but just using different terms. No matter the terms... it doesn't change the fact that Martin hall used a plane board and showed a laser pointing to the base of the board on the horizontal plane line and pointing at the target with a square face to the target. This shot would produce a very big draw with a negative AoA. Only way to hit is straight with his explanation is to hit it at exactly the bottom of the arc. This is still misleading information because TGC leaves out key information like... uh ... I don't know the d-plane. I don't know if you can blame Martin Hall for this because I am sure that if he told TGC that he wanted to cover d-plane they would be like NO WAY that is way too complicated for our simple-minded viewers. Sorry for the rant, but since finding this sight I feel slighted by TGC because all they do is give "tips" that will aparently help your game without providing any true explanation of real ball flight laws, d-plane knowledge, or trackman findings. For goodness sakes they purposely took information out of Breeds episode talking about spin when Breed said that he hit the ball 30 yards longer with just draw spin versus slice spin when his clubhead speed was in fact higher and the hit was more solid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.