A controversial subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that in the golf stroke, the active part is directing the aiming point at the ball, and not the letting go of the club. In the hammer throw, the letting go is the focal point and it's done when the hammer is in line with the arms. In the hammer throw #3 PP is directed upward with the mass of the hammer ahead of #3, and not behind it as in the golf stroke. So the letting go and the thrust point coincide.

I think throwing the club after hitting a golf ball is much more difficult than some think. You have 2 things to coordinate - the aiming point thrust and then the letting go.

The more you experiment with it MJ.. the more you realize that the two are a lot closer than you think.

One thing I think I should mention. I make a very distinct differential between throwing the club AT the target and TO the target. Making the club go airborn would cause hand manipulation. Throwing it AT the target makes it hit the ground out in front of you due to gravity. If you view the club throwing video I posted on FGI from the rear position, you will clearly see that the club hits the ground out in front of me. This is directly AT the target. The target is a spot on the ground.. a HOLE or a patch of grass in the fairway. THAT is what I"m throwing at.

I think you are changing your story. You always said throwing down the fairway. Are you now saying you are only throwing it a few feet in front of you? geez.

Even that is the wrong direction.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by holenone

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

quote:Originally posted by njmp2

I know there is nothing you can teach me about physics, geometry, or the golf swing. Come down off the horse.

What is the ideal angle of the endless belt with the ground?

The 'Endless Belt' is the Hands executing their On Plane Straight Line Delivery Path (10-23-A). Therefore, the ideal Angle -- in fact, the only angle -- of the Endless Belt is the Plane Angle. And because of its Zero Shift, that Plane Angle would ideally be the Turned Shoulder Plane Angle (10-6-B). That Turned Shoulder Plane's absolute degree of angle from the horizontal will vary from Player to Player and from Club to Club. Hence, the absolute angle of the Endless Belt will also vary.

If impact/impact fix hand location were constant (relative to the torso - lead arm vs shoulder line angle) and ball position were adjusted to account for club length why would the angle of approach/aiming point change? Wouldn't the aiming point remain constant in this case, hence the hands move in the same relative angle of attack (vs the ground and on plane, of course the 'plane' adjusts). In that case the angle of attack would be constant and hence the release point, and aim point, and axis tilt amount would be as well. The only thing that would change would be the plane angle and ball position.

DDL

New
Does it really matter where exactly one is flinging the club at? I think the important thing is that impact is not the end all of the stroke and all agree on that I assume. My version of the club flinging drill would probably have the club flinging up plane as I go to swivel.

holenone

Banned

I know there is nothing you can teach me about physics, geometry, or the golf swing. Come down off the horse.

What is the ideal angle of the endless belt with the ground?

The 'Endless Belt' is the Hands executing their On Plane Straight Line Delivery Path (10-23-A). Therefore, the ideal Angle -- in fact, the only angle -- of the Endless Belt is the Plane Angle. And because of its Zero Shift, that Plane Angle would ideally be the Turned Shoulder Plane Angle (10-6-B). That Turned Shoulder Plane's absolute degree of angle from the horizontal will vary from Player to Player and from Club to Club. Hence, the absolute angle of the Endless Belt will also vary.

If impact/impact fix hand location were constant (relative to the torso - lead arm vs shoulder line angle) and ball position were adjusted to account for club length why would the angle of approach/aiming point change? Wouldn't the aiming point remain constant in this case, hence the hands move in the same relative angle of attack (vs the ground and on plane, of course the 'plane' adjusts). In that case the angle of attack would be constant and hence the release point, and aim point, and axis tilt amount would be as well. The only thing that would change would be the plane angle and ball position.

[Bold by Holenone/Yoda.]

The Hands are the Endless Belt. Their Delivery Path is always On Plane. Therefore, when that Plane Angle changes, the angle of the Delivery Path also changes. This is axiomatic.

EdZ

New
Yes, agreed, perhaps I'm not stating the question properly - given that it is on plane - and that we are driving DOWN plane - is it a 'directly down' (90 degrees - down in front of right foot) vs 'directly forward' (straight at the target) vs. somewhere in between - halfway being a 45 degree angle with the ground.

If you were going to put a shaft in the ground on the angle of the endless belt, from top hand position to aiming point, and that shaft was your angle/arc of approach what angle what the shaft make with the ground given a fixed impact hand location, ball position adjusted for club length, and constant angle between the upper left arm and shoulder line/axis tilt at impact.

What is the ON PLANE angle of approach that the hands make in such a case?

holenone

Banned

Yes, agreed, perhaps I'm not stating the question properly - given that it is on plane - and that we are driving DOWN plane - is it a 'directly down' (90 degrees - down in front of right foot) vs 'directly forward' (straight at the target) vs. somewhere in between - halfway being a 45 degree angle with the ground.

If you were going to put a shaft in the ground on the angle of the endless belt, from top hand position to aiming point, and that shaft was your angle/arc of approach what angle what the shaft make with the ground given a fixed impact hand location, ball position adjusted for club length, and constant angle between the upper left arm and shoulder line/axis tilt at impact.

Your question seems to refer to the Angle of Attack (the Downward Dimension of the Three Dimensional Impact per 2-C-0 and 2-C-1 #2B). However, the term you have used is the Angle of Approach (the Forward Dimension per 2-C-0 and 2-C-1 #3). Please confirm you mean Attack Angle or else reiterate Approach Angle.

Here at my home course, the previous head pro was a confirmed "club slinger", and even though he is gone, his students remain. He got a promotion to a more prestigious club, but his students are still here. I see them day after gut-wrenching day, hitting 100s of balls. They all look flippy, and all have "right shoulder outward" problems. They got this way by throwing clubs at the target. None of them have lag, which isn't surprising since they were taught to "throw it away".

You see, the mental image conjured up by most in response to club throwing, is to get the clubhead pointing at the target as soon as possible so they can let go of it and send it head first. I don't see any way that throwing the club at the target could lead anyone to directing a PP or the butt end of the club toward the ball or any nearby point on the plane line.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

You see, the mental image conjured up by most in response to club throwing, is to get the clubhead pointing at the target as soon as possible so they can let go of it and send it head first. I don't see any way that throwing the club at the target could lead anyone to directing a PP or the butt end of the club toward the ball or any nearby point on the plane line.

Homer Kelley taught that, from The Top, the Downstroke Motion was a Straight Line Thrust of the #3 Pressure Point directly toward the Ball. In personal demonstration, he would move his Right Hand Forefinger in an absolutely straight line toward the Ball until his Right Arm was straight. Further, he contrasted that move with its Throwaway-inducing counterfeit, i.e., swinging 'toward the Target'. His demonstration complete and unmistakeable, he would then instruct his students to visualize the Face of the Club as a downward-angled 'block,' and use it to hammer the Ball into the Ground.

Holen1,

Thanks for the decription of Homer's demo on this topic. It sounds as though he is talking about this in the context of a Hitting motion. If so, did he also talk about it in a Swinging context?

Holen1,

Thanks for the decription of Homer's demo on this topic. It sounds as though he is talking about this in the context of a Hitting motion. If so, did he also talk about it in a Swinging context?

In hitting, pp3 is used to actively thrust, in swinging it is used to passively monitor (the centrifigul force being applied),but the actual movement of the finger toward the ball is the same.

EdZ

New

Your question seems to refer to the Angle of Attack (the Downward Dimension of the Three Dimensional Impact per 2-C-0 and 2-C-1 #2B). However, the term you have used is the Angle of Approach (the Forward Dimension per 2-C-0 and 2-C-1 #3). Please confirm you mean Attack Angle or else reiterate Approach Angle.

Yes, my appologies for not knowing all the proper lingo.

The downward angle of attack, although I would also be curious to know the outward angle 'feel' as well, how far 'out to the right' it feels and at what point 'downward' would be considered ideal under the limits I posed.

Thanks Lynn - EZ

holenone

Banned

Holen1,

MJ,

The Geometry is the same for both Hitting and Swinging. The only difference here is in the physics: For Hitting, the Straight Line Thrust is Muscular; for Swinging, it is Centrifugal.

In the video I have of this demonstration, he actually concludes with a Swing, not a Hit. The Backstroke Motion goes to parallel -- not bad for a 72-year-old! -- and he Drag Loads from the Top. The Downstroke is a Straight Line Thrust toward his Aiming Point. He Snap Releases through a Three-Dimensional Impact and produces the most beautiful Right Forearm and Flat Left Wrist alignments imaginable. Despite his effacing attitude to the contrary, the guy could do it.

holenone

Banned

Yes, my appologies for not knowing all the proper lingo.

The downward angle of attack, although I would also be curious to know the outward angle 'feel' as well, how far 'out to the right' it feels and at what point 'downward' would be considered ideal under the limits I posed.

Thanks Lynn - EZ

[Bold above by Holenone/Yoda.]

I thought so. Therefore, since my original reply to your question ("What is the ideal angle of the Endless Belt?") assumed you were referring to its Angle of Attack, a.k.a. the Delivery Path Attack Angle, it still stands:

"The 'Endless Belt' is the Hands executing their On Plane Straight Line Delivery Path (10-23-A). Therefore, the ideal Angle -- in fact, the only angle -- of the Endless Belt is the Plane Angle. And because of its Zero Shift, that Plane Angle is ideally the Turned Shoulder Plane Angle (10-6-B). That Turned Shoulder Plane's absolute degree of angle from the horizontal will vary from Player to Player and from Club to Club. Hence, the absolute angle of the Endless Belt will also vary."

In other words, Plane Angle determines the Angle of Attack. As the 'ideal' Plane Angle steepens (as it must from Long Clubs to Short), so does the ideal Angle of Attack, and so does the ideal Angle of the On Plane Endless Belt.

Your follow-up question above asked that I address the Angle of Approach ("Outward Feel") as well and imposed three contraints:

1. Constant Left Shoulder to Ball angle;

2. Constant Impact Hands Location;

3. Ball Position adjusted for Clubshaft Length.

Unfortunately, Constraints #1 and #2 are incompatible with #3. That is because Constraint #3 necessitates a variable Ball Location, and this always produces a change in Contraints #1 and #2. The further Back the Ball is played, the greater is the separation between the Low Point and Impact Point Plane Lines. And the further forward the Ball is played, vice versa. Therefore, as the Ball is moved back toward the Right Foot, this necessarily produces a greater Clubshaft Forward Lean (and corresponding changes in the Left Shoulder to Ball Angle and Impact Fix Hand Location) in order to comply with the In-Line alignments of the Left Arm Flying Wedge (6-B-3-0-1).

So, in answer to your question, the "Outward Feel" will vary with Ball Location (because that determines the Angle of Approach). The further back the Ball is played, the more inside-out is the Endless Belt Approach Angle (Delivery Path Approach Angle). The "Downward Feel" will also vary (because the Plane Angle determines the Angle of Attack). As the Plane Angle steepens, the more Downward is the Endless Belt Attack Angle (Delivery Path Attack Angle). Study 2-N-0 and 7-23.

holenone

Banned
I might add to all this that, in terms of Feel, the Turned Shoulder Plane 'Feels' the same for all full Strokes. That is because the Hands are always in the Plane of the Turned Right Shoulder at The Top. This fact results in a very desirable 'sameness' in Feel, even though the steeper the Plane Angle, the shorter the Shoulder Turn.

DDL

New
[br
Homer Kelley taught that, from The Top, the Downstroke Motion was a Straight Line Thrust of the #3 Pressure Point directly toward the Ball. In personal demonstration, he would move his Right Hand Forefinger in an absolutely straight line toward the Ball until his Right Arm was straight.

What would happen if one were to aim the #3PP at a point the #3PP would be pointing to at the both arms straight position? One of the most confusing aspects of the straight line path to the inside corner of the ball aiming point is that the straight line path to the ball only lasts til release. Afterwards, my hands get lost. I realize #3PP is supposed to trace the plane line after the release point, but tracing at full speed is much more difficult than actually aiming at a specific point. I guess that is the "lazy" part of swinging, with centrifugal force taking over. I think that is what was contributing to my hacking and lack of finish and rotation. Release blackout.

Burner

New

I think you are changing your story. You always said throwing down the fairway. Are you now saying you are only throwing it a few feet in front of you? geez.

Me thinks Ringer doth protest too much!!! :DAnd, thats how it always goes once the incomplete, out of context and other spurious arguments have failed.[:I]

quote:Originally posted by Burner

Me thinks Ringer doth protest too much!!! :DAnd, thats how it always goes once the incomplete, out of context and other spurious arguments have failed.[:I]

Agreed. Like a true spin doctor.

This is what happens when ignorant people believe they know everything. They belittle and patronize the people who suggest an open mind.

Holenone - Thank you for your contribution as well as others who took the PROPER way of responding to the proposed idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.