Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Manzella Analysis of Mike Austin

Here is the "marked up" sequence with my Audio Analysis

austinseq.jpg

The audio file will play from this player IN this post. Just click on the "right triangle" play button. Enjoy!
[media]http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/filechute/austinaudio.mp3[/media]

Last edited:
Austin Talk by BM

Brian,

Excellent wording my friend. Asking you to do this was not to ever underlay anything that TGM teaches. Not by a long shot did I ever think that. I just wanted the best one available to give all a fair and balanced all out honest opinion of what really is there and what really does happen in this powerful swing of which I have learned by the man that indeed crack the code to distance and accuracy.

Have you done this word overlay of Hogan, I would like to see the same similar posing of Hogan with your analysis.

Question, as you are on a serious roll. Do you think Austin's eyes where on swinging to the back of the ball or to the inside quadrant that is ask of most teaching today?

Would you say it would help with teaching this method if one was to swing to the inside quadrant?.

Why would some think that Austin flipped the club? We all know flipping is powerless flight that drops from the trees.

You have given Austin an outstanding swing review that is deeply appreciated.

From the true Austin camp, I Thank You for doing it. Now maybe we can
let this big dog sleep and me eat. :)

Your words coming out very softly and well received. You will see that big time magazine soon. You have earned my respect as the best teacher money can buy.

Tiger, the EYE is waiting.

R

Last edited:
I was thinking since Brian took the time to do an analysis of Mike Austin's swing it would interesting and profitable if a couple of MA experts could provide a description of the most important principles in the MA method. I am curious how exactly you folks measure to the ball and the various other fundamentals.

Thanks,

Matt

Very well thought out, detailed critique. I think perhaps you have explained why his swing was so efficient much better than all of the material that I have of him. Thank you for taking the time and for being patient and tolerant of some who got a little fired up during this thread.
Jerry

Brian Manzella said:
Just on top of the pink line.

Sorry, don't see it. Look at the first frame. There is AIR next to the clubhead. And a line perpendicular to the target line opposite the inside left heel. That's it, no ball.

What's the secret to hearing the audio play? I get a blank screen with a line on it with the triangles, pause icon, etc., but nothing loads or plays.
Tx.

George, just click on the arrow on the bar with nothing else on it. If you still can't get it to play then maybe you need one of the downloads. BTW, there's no video, just an audio critique of the various frames of Mike's swing. Good luck. It's a great critique.
Jerry

My Quick Time player seems to be operative but nothing loads or plays when I click as directed. Would love to hear Brian's comments on Mike's swing. and the others. Any other ideas why they may not play?

George, I think you need Window's Media Player. Try downloading it. Brian has placed a link for this. Good luck.
Jerry

Last edited:
Okay, George, try this. Click on the download bar. The audio will start and then click on the minimize icon in the top right corner. The audio will continue and you can look at the frames he is talking about. Good luck.
Jerry

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Brian Manzella said:
Here is the "marked up" sequence with my Audio Analysis

austinseq.jpg

The audio file will play from this player IN this post. Just click on the "right triangle" play button. Enjoy!
http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/filechute/austinaudio.mp3

Awesome analysis brian and if you don't mind i'd like to add to it:

1) This whole idea that everyone thinks YOU WANT EVERYONE to swivel with a completely flat left wrist is just not correct. In fact, i've learned over the years that you wouldn't want to teach that particular move to someone with much more than a "manzella neutral" grip becase you would hook it off the planet. Also, something else that people need to understand is that the golfer's swivel (how much rotation of the left arm after follow through) is VERY DEPENDANT on how weak/neutral/strong your grip is. As brian mentioned Mike Austin's grip was a little stronger and that is a big reason why he has that "flatt-ER" right wrist.

2) In regards to Mike Austin's bend-ING left wrist through the ball it isn't as bent as many of you think. One reason i know this is because you can see the a lot of the very tops of his fingers which you wouldn't have been able to see unless you have some sort of swivel through the ball.

Thanks
Jim

Sir Brian

You call it as you see it. Great Job.
Here are Mikes own words from his bedside in his final days.
still teaching.

Heiko Falke from the german MA site wrote these points down while visiting with him.Sir Falke Posted these on his Blog at the De site.
This Came from Mikes Bedside.
http://www.mikeaustin.de/blog/

1. Stand erect and get your ass out.

2. Your lower spine has got to swing, big boy. It's a compound action.

3. Avoid backshifting, there is no power. Don't turn around your asshole.

4. Your clubhead is going around but don't roll your forearms, when you hit it.
You hit it with a lob, buddy.

5. Don't forget the palmar flexion of the left hand. That is the secret for power.

6. Keep your head back over your right leg. It goes away from the target when you are starting down.

7. Roll your knee in. Your right foot has to allow the turn, my friend.

8. There is no independant movements of shoulders and arms, after you finish your backswing. The shift of your lower body is doing everything.

9. Don’t forget to turn your upper arms to keep the clubhead on plane.

10. Watch your right elbow. Avoid a flying right elbow and keep it in front of you while you are shifting the hips. There is no independent pulling down of the right elbow. That is an illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.