Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windows Media Player but it won't open to play the BM audio. WHen I click the download bar, it tries to download Quicktime, which is already installed. The audio simply won't play.

Whatever, I'll add my two cents about what Mike is doing, and to do that I need to make the point that his philosophy of swing was that he obeyed a mental imagery of the action! His intentions have more to do with understanding what he does than a report of what you see. Form follows function, so what is visible is a result of how he understood his anatomy and leverage.

His goal for the top of the backswing was to be fully loaded on plane. By this there are a few things needed: pro-supination of the arms to place the back of the left wrist parallel to the target line; full wrist bend, full wrist cock, full lower body (hip) slide to the right to place the bottom of the spine onto the top of the right femur--the spine is the center of the pendulum of lower body swinging on plane with the arms. IOW, since the hands reach a point about 5 1/2 to 6 feet ABOVE THE GROUND on a slanted plane relative to the ball, and since the hands will return to a point about 3 feet UNDER that topmost point, the torso pivots like a slightly slanted Ferris wheel, not a merry-go-round, to deliver force to the arms from the legs. What we call the slide to the right in the backswing loads the pivot! The additional turn of the hips after the end of travel of the sideways motion of the spine TO the top of the right femur is additional loadup, but it is not for the purpose of adding torsion or elasticity; it adds amplitude or range of motion; so does the additional flexibility of the two shoulders -- what is called adduction and abduction (which you feel when you hunch your shoulders) --permitting a larger backswing without introducing stress up there.

So the fully loaded backswing is a total of arms rolled, hips slid to the right and then turned, arms loaded to their topmost reach FROM the pivot and shoulder flexions; and the hands / wrists fully loaded with fold AND wristcock.

From there, Mike's mental image was to hammer the back of the ball. He never mentioned aft quadrant: I think his visualization had no need for that perspective because he saw in his mind's eye how his path to the ball for the clubhead was mostly vertical, with the object of throwing the clubhead down, under, and up. In describing "hammering" he noted that the clubhead had to move twice as far as his hands (180 degrees vs. 90 degrees) from wasit high hands to impact, so for that to occur, he threw the club head FROM THE TOP so it would arrive at impact simultaneously with the hands. Because of the time lag between intention and its effect becoming visible, there was no early waste of the loaded hands: at waist high the full 90 degree angle between left forearm and shaft is still in tact. BUT because of the speed of his PIVOT there had to be force to uncock the hands applied early--his throw is a karate chop of the base of both hands starting immediately from the top.

He neither dragged the butt end of the shaft nor shoved the clubhead early inTO the ball: he threw it: he HAMMERED it into the ball--and his timing was accomplished exactly the same and with the ease achieved even by children hammering nails, so that the handle and clubhead did arrive at the same time: a key point of timing (impact bag drills reveal our innate ability FOR perfect timing).

The force supplied to the arms and hands originated in the legs giving motion to the hips, causing them to pendulum swing under the vertical center of rotation under his chin at the base of his neck. To increase his force to the ball he would increase the speed of that pivot. It is called compound because after the backswing slide to the right, the hips turned to complete the loadup; in the downswing, after their slide to the left and placement of the base of his spine onto the LEFT femur, he completed the action of hips allowing them to turn and the shoulders also to follow. You can see in the clips just above this post how far his left hip has moved towards the target allowing his shoulders to remain square to the target line--his hips bring his hands to impact, and they remain "in front of his body." He does not use hip turn for his force, although his feet close together and left toe open are mandatory for allowing this kind of leg action: it is impossible with feet shoulder width apart.

DURING THE IMPACT INTERVAL the FOLDed hands unfold freely AND they continue their rolling--and you can see clearly where the crossover first appears in the 9th frame. In freeze frame high speed photography the unfolded left wrist and backward (dorsal) flexion of that hand is evident prior to the rollover -- a feature he referred to as an unimpeded pendulum.

While STANDING in a position such as in frames 8, 9, and 10 is impossible for many, PASSING THROUGH them in a dynamic movement is not: it is similar to those frozen pics we see of a fastball pitch where the motion is caught shortly after the pitcher's transition and it appears his right shoulder is broken because of the amount of lag between lower body and right hand: but while the man cannot place his hand back into that position relative to the body like that statically, he can "pass through it" in the act of throwing...

A feature of Mike's approach was that there was no sequence to his motion: his entire swing mechanism moved simultaneously: hips, arms, hands, etc.: nothing got dragged or pulled: all moved in transition at the same instant.

In retrospect, this is three cents worth, not two. Inflation.

rundmc

Banned
B, Nice work! You said that you could teach this swing to anybody . . . Me likey. Too many teachers think the student "can't." If the teacher doesn't believe in the student's potential what's the point. Good job.

cdog

New
George, in order to hear the audio section, click on the bar and wait..it took me a few minutes before it started palying.

cdog said:
George, in order to hear the audio section, click on the bar and wait..it took me a few minutes before it started palying.

If you right click the Download bar, a dropdown menu appears and you can choose "Save Target as...." to download Brian's audio file to your hard disc.

Sirs

Brian has a wonderful personality, and as a teacher, he handles "sitiuations" well,
With the conventional swing.
Brian is a Doer, He don't Mess around.
But Brian was not even close.

I gave him clues before he posted his Audio responce.
I Greatly Enjoyed his anaylisis.
But as I expected, He didn't comprehend. (using the conventional mindset)

Brian is just like us, he is human. He has got to think out of the box.

To understand what Mike is Doing, THE GOLFER ,the student, must at least be a Cheerios Box kinesioligst.
And That's not too much to ask of lame brained golfers.

Mike is smiling alright, probably shaking his head side to side saying,
They still don't get it.

Mike taught his swing so all could benefit from an ergonomic stand point.
He was concerned about The Golfers Health and long range physical well being.

This Was "Capital" for Mike.
And Why he applied The scientific anaylization of skeletal and muscular motion. Using all 12 levers properly.
There "is" a Path of least resistance to the ball.

The By product "Benefit" Is the Great Distance and Accuracy that you are buying if you follow his concepts.

A Win Win. Its up to the Golfer to work at it. No one can do it for Them.

Aquire Mikes Material and then Enjoy and finally "Play the Game of Golf" (mabye for the first time) the rest of your life.

Mike Tells all and explains it well. He did the Math.
He's the teacher who can help you teach yourself.

Technical skill is mastery of complexity, while creativity is mastery of simplicity.
- E. C. Zeeman

Last edited:
Brian, thank you; But even after downloading the latest QT (and in the process "repairing it," it doesn't SOUND. I can see by the movement in the bar and the other visual icon that wiggles that the sound is being received: it is not your program: it is my settings, and for the life of me I can't find why I don't get the sound. Tx for your post; I'll keep trying. I am curious as to the difference in how you analyze vs. my analysis - where the root or image of the golfer's intentions and "what I am going to do" is formed and executed. What we see is "after the fact" and partly informative: what we do not see has more to do with our results...

Perfect Impact said:
Brian, thank you; But even after downloading the latest QT (and in the process "repairing it," it doesn't SOUND. I can see by the movement in the bar and the other visual icon that wiggles that the sound is being received: it is not your program: it is my settings, and for the life of me I can't find why I don't get the sound. Tx for your post; I'll keep trying. I am curious as to the difference in how you analyze vs. my analysis - where the root or image of the golfer's intentions and "what I am going to do" is formed and executed. What we see is "after the fact" and partly informative: what we do not see has more to do with our results...

If you're using Windows XP, try going to Start menu, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Entertainment, then Volume Control. Make sure the slider is all the way to maximum, and the Mute box is unchecked.

tongzilla said:
If you're using Windows XP, try going to Start menu, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Entertainment, then Volume Control. Make sure the slider is all the way to maximum, and the Mute box is unchecked.

In addition to what tongzilla posted, another thing to check is going to Start menu, select Control panel and click the QuickTime icon. Click the Audio tab of QuickTime preferences.

Audio should work, if rate is set to 44.1 kHz, sieze set to 24 bit.

This is painful...

Perfect Impact said:

PF, It is painfull to read about the diffculties. I am 99% certain you have not selected a audio device. Go to "START", "Control Panel", and you see a icon for "Sound and Audio Devices". Double click that. You see a several option on the top, and first is volume. In this display, there is a speaker and slider bar. I am sure they are "greyed out". If so, go to next tab "sound" see if you have selected a scheme. If not select at least "Windows default". Then go to "audio" tab, and select a dvice, if nothin is there. Come back to volume and it will allow you to adjust the volume. Then go play your thingy and enjoy Brian's take on MA swing....

Little Brit said:
I am really surprised how much his right foot slides forward in his downswing/follow-through, and how much his right knee kicks in.

Sir Brit

The reason Mikes Right foot Sldes in the follow through, is that he saves the turn of the Right hip till well after the strike, to bring him to a front line balance. He does not Hit with a Shoulder or Hip turn using lag.
The right hip brings the knee and ankle to rest after the circular strike,
on an oblique angle to the ball.

Mike only turns at the ends of the swing.

Hogans right foot also dragged but just a little.

Last edited:
Not a MA afficionato at all

Brian,

Liked your analysis but not a MA expert at all. George seems to have a handle on what is going on and it is certainly different from what I have been doing for a few years. Not sure I can agree with Squish that MA method is better on your back or for long term health or not.

Squish, What do you recommend to learn the MA swing? I hear there are about 5 sources and none can agree.

I know George has a new book and DVD. Any other suggestions.

I am always interested in learning more but it will take quite a bit to get me out of TGM territory.

Perfect Impact said:

Lots of good suggestions for you, George, but there may also be a very simple little thing that has happened to me before being overlooked. Make sure your sound hasn't been muted. Click on your volume indicator to make sure mute isn't checked. Good luck.
Jerry

Aquire Mikes Material and then Enjoy and finally "Play Golf" (mabye for the first time) the rest of your life.

Squish

I have read most of the forums relating to the Austin Swing and have also seen the Peaceriver video and I am wondering what material you felt that Austin left that was suitable to really learn his swing. I also question that most people have the physical capabilities that he had to even try to duplicate it. What material are you refering to that tells more about the swing and how to learn it? The Mike Austin forum people except you and a few others apear clueless and are awaiting a book that may never come out. Do you really believe anybody can duplicate his swing of average physical capabilities? What distance could this "average" person hit the ball?

Thanks
Dave

davel said:
Aquire Mikes Material and then Enjoy and finally "Play Golf" (mabye for the first time) the rest of your life.

Squish

I have read most of the forums relating to the Austin Swing and have also seen the Peaceriver video and I am wondering what material you felt that Austin left that was suitable to really learn his swing. I also question that most people have the physical capabilities that he had to even try to duplicate it. What material are you refering to that tells more about the swing and how to learn it? The Mike Austin forum people except you and a few others apear clueless and are awaiting a book that may never come out. Do you really believe anybody can duplicate his swing of average physical capabilities? What distance could this "average" person hit the ball?

Thanks
Dave

Davel,

Let me try to reply. Squish can correct later. When MA passed away, Thomas Dang, who maintains the Austin web site and consultant to the Oregon State golf team, became the legal guardian of Austin material. From what I understand, he is not built-like Mike, but I would assume 5' 8" and baout 160lb. He can hit 300+ drives effortlessly from eye witness. He is writing a book and all the MA enthusiasts eagerly awaiting... Meanwhile Squish is a self-thought guru of MA swing using MA material. The two thing he would suggest is the two videos that can be bought from MA website. Then are "Golf is Mental Imagery or GIMI for $50, and "Austinolgy" series (7.5 Hrs long instruction videos) for $200. I have GIMI, and it is pretty good, but have not bought "Austinology" yet, so don't know how good it is.

PF has written a book and produced a video on MA swing, but I do not want to comment because I have not seen them.

Thanks, PR: I did everything you said to do: I have normal sound with everything else. I had not selected a sound scheme before, but I selected Windows Default at your suggestion: still no sound. When I go to the link I see the bar with the slider representing the progress of the audio playback, but while the little thing on the bar does move, there still is no sound. So it's playing ok, apparently: just not making a sound on my puter. "Sound for Dummies" or dummesties???

Old dog, no brame left.

davel said:

Squish

Thanks
Dave

Sir davel

With a well timed swing Using mikes method, 290-300 carry. easy.
Conditions govern Roll. (uphill, Wet, fringe, etc)

My personal best on three seperate round (same down hill hole) 370+ C/R

I'm 6' 1.5" 200lbs With a small Spare Tire at 53.

Its a straight ball with a high boring trajectory. Fade Draw on Demand.
The more centered I am, The slower It feels, the farther it goes.

Its about Measurement, Balance and timing, (Feet and hands).

Peaceriver not as good as Austinology. GIMI I don't Know about.

I Recently came across austinology quite cheaply, and I feel by far it is the best. It covers every aspect.

Poor production quality, and you must ignor Mike Dunnaway.
Austin tells Dunnaway certain things. And dunnaway is dumfounded.

Mike Austin teaches you (through Dunnaway) every aspect of the Game.

Thats why Dunnaway hits it 375.

Last edited:
kmmcnabb said:
Brian,

Liked your analysis but not a MA expert at all. George seems to have a handle on what is going on and it is certainly different from what I have been doing for a few years. Not sure I can agree with Squish that MA method is better on your back or for long term health or not.

Squish, What do you recommend to learn the MA swing? I hear there are about 5 sources and none can agree.

I know George has a new book and DVD. Any other suggestions.

I am always interested in learning more but it will take quite a bit to get me out of TGM territory.

Sir kmmcnabb

Mike Austin Babys the spine, and ensures that there is no twisting, as to destroy the disks if it is used in the conventional way.
Also he does not Bend the spine. He inclines from the hips.

I golf painless and hit farther. And have no need for a glove even in wet conditions, And I use Full cord grips.

Most ergonomic and efficent way to hit the ball.

The Old throwing swing. Mike came from a different era.

palmreader said:
Squish,

Where did you get the Austinology tapes from other than the MA web site? Thanks.
Palm Reader

From a Previous owner who was very satisfied, Peace river also.

I'm a Lucky man. Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.