Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Olin
Mister 19 under par.

Well Brian I did enjoy your professional audio analysis.
I have wanted someone to do one for a while.

I would love to have Leadbetter or one of the flash teaching gurus do an analysis of mikes swing.

In the end, It's about getting the golfers mind to transmit to the Clubhead.

Austin a GO GO !

squish said:
Sir Olin
Mister 19 under par.

Well Brian I did enjoy your professional audio analysis.
I have wanted someone to do one for a while.

I would love to have Leadbetter or one of the flash teaching gurus do an analysis of mikes swing.

In the end, It's about getting the golfers mind to transmit to the Clubhead.

So Squish, Are you saying now that BM did in fact say what MA did do in his swing sequence? So he was close and gets a box of cigar's. Why do you think everyone on the Austin site was and still afraid to do what Brian has done. I see where even the Host was scared to show his swing and comment on Austin.

From what I see here, BM truly made the Austin swing more accessible to those that want to learn it.

Another first on BMGA live. :)

Lou

Austin analysis

squish said:
Sir

Brian did his analysis.
Squish did his.

I would like to hear yours and others as well.

You did? You where asked to tell what Brian, "was not close on"?
To better understand what side of the coin your on, please take frame by frame as Brian has done and tell us what Brian was not close on?

I understand what Brian has so graciously provided.

Thanks

Lou

Sir

If you can't read a difference in Brians analysis and my post #160.

Well...Like Hogan said about the Modern Pro's hiring Teaching Pros..

"If you need a Coach...Get out of the Game"

Golf isn't for everybody.

I've put my time in Researching the Golf swing.

Its something you will have to do for your self.

And let your results Be your guide.

Have a good one.

Squish

There is a thing called feel versus reality. Frame 6 clearly shows the the club headhead is not ahead of his hands. This what Brian and everyone else see's. In many cases what you think you are doing ends up creating the opposite of the reality. This is what I think makes golf a difficult game . I believe the great pivot that Mike Austin has give hime that early release feeling but when you see his body components which eventually lead to his clubhead they are all lagging each other.

I saw Oglivey on the Golf Channel last night and he said when he looked at his swing on video it was exactlly the opposite of what he thought he was doing and would not ever look at his swing again. No video analysis that I am aware of knows what the golfer was thinking. I know when I hit my best shots they just happen and I have no idea what I did.

Just my opinion. I do think Brian did a great job of analyzing the swing as the picture shows it and even though he is not short of ego I don't believe he has learned how to read minds while watching a video. At least I don't think he has worked much on that yet.

But like you say everyone to their own opinion.

Dave

I remember seeing the Peace River tape and Mike Dunaway slowly going thru the swing and coming into impact bent right flat left wrist and Mike Austin admonishing him saying that his swing was both wrists flat at impact fully extended arms at impact, but all the video clips of him clearly show that was not the case.

Brian Manzella said:
Next up, Olin Dutra!
Why are you so obsessed with this Olin Dutra dude?
I can't find a swing sequence of him.

From wikipedia:
"Olin Dutra (January 17, 1901 - May 5, 1983) was a professional golfer born in Monterey, California. Dutra joined the pro tour in 1924, leaving a job at a hardware store to do so. He played on golf's PGA Tour in the late 1920s and 1930s, winning 19 tournaments in all. He was most prominent in the early 1930s, winning the 1932 PGA Championship, the 1934 U.S. Open at Merion and playing in the 1933 and 1935 Ryder Cup matches. In the 1932 PGA Championship, Dutra played 196 holes and finished an astounding 19 under par, including finishing as low qualifier and winning his matches 9 & 8, 5 & 3, 5 & 4, 3 & 2, and 4 & 3."

Originally Posted by davel
Squish

There is a thing called feel versus reality. Frame 6 clearly shows the the club headhead is not ahead of his hands. This what Brian and everyone else see's. In many cases what you think you are doing ends up creating the opposite of the reality. This is what I think makes golf a difficult game . I believe the great pivot that Mike Austin has give hime that early release feeling but when you see his body components which eventually lead to his clubhead they are all lagging each other.

I saw Oglivey on the Golf Channel last night and he said when he looked at his swing on video it was exactlly the opposite of what he thought he was doing and would not ever look at his swing again. No video analysis that I am aware of knows what the golfer was thinking. I know when I hit my best shots they just happen and I have no idea what I did.

Just my opinion. I do think Brian did a great job of analyzing the swing as the picture shows it and even though he is not short of ego I don't believe he has learned how to read minds while watching a video. At least I don't think he has worked much on that yet.

But like you say everyone to their own opinion.

Dave
Sir davel

I have Never Ever seen Two Pro or amateur swings that were the same.
People have to get that. Even Identical twins are different.
Its the concepts in the mind that control the muscles of the body that make or break a swing.
You Swing Good or You swing Bad.
I have studied Mikes swing and never get tired of of it.
The hands must be square and flat to the target at impact in Mikes swing or any swing to make the ball fly straight.

Tom Bartlett said:

The point Mike makes is the Clubhead "Accelerates Through" impact. Then allowed to continue to pass the left arm.
And that the arms cross over High After impact only when the right arm is horozontal to the ground.
Then finally the right arm pulling the right shoulder "under out and up" to finish.

The so called "Secret to Mikes added length" (at 70 yrs old. 310 yds).
Is "Not Holding" that flat position driving down into the ground.

Mike swung Under, Out and UP with a 180* swing from the wrists.
Stimulus at the top, the transition.
That was his primary Force. The 12 levers with the Pivot controlled the plane and acted as positioners, and secondary force.

The Pivot negated the Cast, so one could throw the club as fast as you want.

At the back swing the spine becomes an extension of the right leg to the top.

On the foreswing the spine becomes an extension of the left leg.
So you must be posted atop the left femur bone as the right shoulder drops. (you simply shorten the right leg)
The shoulders can't turn out. or you cut or pull.

When you perform the swing.
The head stays back and rotates down with with the torso through impact.

Its a really sweet feeling.

You don't have to defend Sir Brian, I respect his analysis and opinion. As we all should respect each others.
To Listen is to learn.
He's a self made man.

The only thing that sacks about Sir Brian is the cell phone headset he uses, and thats probably Chinas fault.

Last edited:

EdZ

New
Does anybody know what Austin's smash factor was? Did he ever get his clubhead and ball speed measured?

Doug

New
Mike

EdZ said:
Does anybody know what Austin's smash factor was? Did he ever get his clubhead and ball speed measured?

Mike told me what his clubhead speed was in his prime.
Sorry to say I don't recall the number.

I was more impressed by his ability to hit shots through the wind.

He could hit his driver off the deck almost as far as teed up and flat kill
1 iron swinging right hand only.

Loose wrists, especially the left, was one of his keys.

Mike controlled the trajectory by turning the face just before impact for the desired flight. He could hit it high, low
left or right from any stance.

Mike's fastest measured swing speed was something around 155 mph, and his cruising speed was 133 or so. That was measured. To my knowledge there was no ball speed measurement ever taken at the time: physicists have made calculations that indicates that that kind of a swing speed with a helping 35 mph wind would make it possible TO hit a 515 yard drive in Las Vegas... He did use a very heavy clubhead stuffed with tungsten or something, a plastic insert persimmon driver, and a stiff shaft.

Those last two posts = holy crap!

Dunno what you mean exactly by kill 1 irons....but that has a crazy sound to it.

Last edited:
Well since I've adopted the method,
I can Hit All my irons, 3-sw right or left handed With some accuracy.
And no need for a glove anymore. Because I hinge the wrists like Mike.

I can't do the driver one handed that well Yet.
But With two hands I hit my 7* nemesis off the deck. Mike says simply aim a half inch behind the ball.

I dont have Popeye arms like Mike Did, for distance. But I can feel my forearms building strength with every swing.

Part of Mikes training Method is to practice hitting with both Hands independenty. He says you use a double force measured distance from the chest.
If you cant, the problem is in the setup, and failure to maintain the angle of address that you had set at forward press.

Last edited:
Squish and George, why are you guys not asking Brian some questions and getting his take on the Austin swing, The original idea of this thread was to get Brians take on the swing, why do you and George feel you need to give your take? You dont see Rosser or I doing that and that is for a reason, this is Brians show, not only are you trying to upstage Brian but to knock his discription without giving a explanation of your comments is tacky. especially when you are in his domain. Well, I had to say this, this is my opinion and Squish i didnt want to have to say this but no choice. if there is going to be any benifit from this thread, Brian should be front and center not us. Rosser and i want to hear what Brian has to say , his comments, and his reaction to our input and questions, after all this is the Brian Manzella show JerryMB

Jer: I have not been able to hear Brian's take on the swing since the audio will not play on my computer. So I am not in a position whatsoever to comment on, respond to, or evaluate Brian's analysis in the context of having worked so closely with Mike's own instruction.

The reason for posting here my own "take" on it was in response to the following: "I was thinking since Brian took the time to do an analysis of Mike Austin's swing it would interesting and profitable if a couple of MA experts could provide a description of the most important principles in the MA method. I am curious how exactly you folks measure to the ball and the various other fundamentals. Thanks, Matt"

As I say, Brian DID give his take on the swing, and from the reaction of many posted here, it must be quite revelatory. I wish I could hear what he said.

Sir Jerrymb

Thanks for your comments, and making me aware of what I was doing.
Sorry Brian, But I don't have any Questions.

Just apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.