Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

peru

New
squish wrote
squish said:
Sir Brit

The reason Mikes Right foot Sldes in the follow through, is that he saves the turn of the Right hip till well after the strike, to bring him to a front line balance. He does not Hit with a Shoulder or Hip turn using lag.
The right hip brings the knee and ankle to rest after the circular strike,
on an oblique angle to the ball.

Mike only turns at the ends of the swing.

Hogans right foot also dragged but just a little.

in the PR dvd dunaway,says that he dies nit ket the arms get in front of the shoulders . is this correct?
peru

peru said:
squish wrote

in the PR dvd dunaway,says that he dies nit ket the arms get in front of the shoulders . is this correct?
peru

Sir Peru

In what context? Where in the Video tape?

The arms move with the Torso. Not ahead or lagging. They simply flex and extend Pronate, supinate in and out from the torso.

peru

New
cast

squish: that's what he implied.

in another part of the dvd dunaway talks about the cast, and he twists his wrist in the demostration, and goes on to say that it is a cast if the body stops. my question is when the does the wrist twist happen at the same time of the pelvis tilt? durning the throw?

peru

Sir Squish ,as you are called. I have been outside looking in. This thread has brought me off the golf course. You say Brian did a good JOB !
24+ years of intense study and you say Brian's not even close?

Bold statement is it not?

One that needs clearing up. You want to give your analysis of what Brian seems to miss big time?

By the way I went over to the so called MA site. WOW you talk about messed up golfers :confused: . Who is running that site, besides your riddles of information?

Thanks to this site MA has lived another day for those that want to learn it.

Lou

lmisner1040 said:
Sir Squish ,as you are called. I have been outside looking in. This thread has brought me off the golf course. You say Brian did a good JOB !
24+ years of intense study and you say Brian's not even close?

Bold statement is it not?

One that needs clearing up. You want to give your analysis of what Brian seems to miss big time?

By the way I went over to the so called MA site. WOW you talk about messed up golfers :confused: . Who is running that site, besides your riddles of information?

Thanks to this site MA has lived another day for those that want to learn it.

Lou

Well Sir

You hit the nail on the head. But there are a few 300 plus hitters over there and others looking for looking for more.

Mikes swing Is based on a Throwing swing. The old James Braid, Vardon, Ted Ray method.

They used Centrifugal force (the "absence" of Centripital force) to build club head speed. (not compression alone with the advent of steel) Byron Nelson, Bobby Jones.

The Hickory and gutta percha required this type of golf swing at the time.
Leaning into the shot with hickory would be expensive to a round.

Steel changed that.

With The proper set up As the Key.

Then the Mind set of Having Mobility of the Body With a stable Center of Balance is the answer.

Think of the body as an A frame and stay within those Bounds.
Just like the pendulum.
The axis pivot point is the top of the spine at the seventh cervical. (center of balance)

The Hips at the base of the spine is the Bob. (Center of gravity)
You never want to displace the center of balance as it will impede
and retard the pendilum action.

The heel to heel, and eversion (letting out) of the knees allow the Hips to swing then turn.

An imaginary line or Plane, From the Back 7th Cervical Through the Breastbone To The Ball is the measurement that must remain Constant.
Your club and arms are set at an acute angle under that plane.

Here is how to measure.

http://www.peacerivergolf.com/clips/learn/address.htm

The Wrists and Club also act as a pendulum with a 180* sweep of their own. That is where the Speed comes in.

The Body and Wrists work Together as a Compound Pendulum.

(The main powering lever is the swinging Spine)
The Left shoulder and arm are attached to the center of balance atop the Spine and act as Levers.
They must remain constant or fixed in their position reletive to the Torso,
As to Maintain the proper measurement to the ball throughout the swing.
As a spoke is to a Hub. Hub being the swing center of balance.
However That assembly can, and is necessary to Adduct, abduct, Pronate and Supinate.

After the forward press
While Maintaining the forward incline of 30* to the ball.
In the backswing, the large pendulum swings to the right about 70*.
At the end of its travel, it is nesessary for the arms to abduct, adduct,
the shoulders to get you to the top. Not raise the shoulder blades.

The "Top" is really the club "Behind" you.
Because you are still maintaining a 30* forward tilt you measured at address, The club appears to rise. But the adduction of the right shoulder
has simply taken the humeris(upper right arm) away from your right side
to its limit of travel. A wide stretched out feel, to the limit of its travel.
The left heel will raise in responce.

Shoulders feel level, But you ar maintaining that inclination to the ball, Still measured.

This does not apply to modern compression teaching.
It lets you knock the hell out of the ball.

Last edited:
The above may sound confusing but Mike explains it all.

Mike Austin states There are only two points to Remember on the course, once you get the swing together.

1)Move from a two foot balance, to right foot balance, to a left foot balance.

2)Swing the clubhead in a wide circle as you do point #1

Using a 3 count.
Count 1 being the forward press.
Very Musical, Metronome set at 60 Beats per minute.

Easy as 1,2,3. A Waltz

squish said:
Sir kmmcnabb

Mike Austin Babys the spine, and ensures that there is no twisting, as to destroy the disks if it is used in the conventional way.
Also he does not Bend the spine. He inclines from the hips.

I dunno how you can say there is no twisting.....maybe Austin is trying for something else or w/e you wanna say.....but I look at that tape....and the man is rotating.....there's not a golfer that doesn't.

Go ahead if you wanna elabourate or explain yourself more BTW.

And...

Lots of ppl setup with Tilt (and you prolly should IMO.....).....this is what Brian teaches a lot of the time I think.

It's not an exclusive MA thing by any means. Not even close. I honestly am not sure if that's what it's made out to be really but I'm just saying that it obviously isn't.

Last edited:
Austin comes to you

Squish

Question still stands on where did Brian miss the boat? Not even close. Did Brian say anything correctly in your mind. Or is he just another sweet voice.

MA's lower spine swings, the head moves right because of the lower spine swinging. Balance. In Tune, Waltz etc.

How about you telling us what Brian does know?

Could you post your swing on BMGA and lets us see what BM missed by your analysis.

Thanks

Lou

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
LOL....if you could teach any average player to carry the ball 290+ you could probably be making AT LEAST 500k a year doing the same to tour professionals looking for more distance.

I have a friend who is 5'11", weighs roughly 320lbs whose swing is about half as long as mine and he is about even with me or sometimes ahead of me.

Some people can do certain things and some people can't.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No ads, Please.

An open letter to the people who are using this site for their own promotion...

(I know I have said all of this before, but maybe I was rushed and didn't do my very best. Here is my best effort to explain my position on the matter)

This past June, I entered into my 25th year of teaching golf. I was raised by a Mom & Dad who taught me to try to be "the very best" at whatever field I chose. I chose teaching golf.

When I was a young-cub teacher, I thought that all I needed to do was to learn as much as I could from those who went before me, do a lot of serious research on my own, give every lesson my very best and improve everyday until I was better than 90% of the field and then someone in the business would 'discover' me, give me a great job and help me catch the other 10%.

I was obviously very wrong.

Nobody 'in the business' really cares who is a better teacher than the next guy or gal. As a matter of fact, the people in the Club Professional side of the business don't really care who is the best Club Pro either.

That's when I realized I didn't have one goal—I had two—being the 'best teacher in the world' (the guy that can help the most golfers play the best golf) and being ACKNOWLEDGED as the 'best teacher in the world' (like the media did with Leadbetter).

So, with that in mind, my next theory was to get a job as the 'director of instruction' at a great facility and use the extra status and ability to charge for 'frills' as a stepping stone to the 'Top 50/100 Teacher's lists' in the two major golf magazines.

Bad idea. Nobody wants a guy who is a threat to become a celebrity at almost any of these jobs. And the 'turn in your resume' way in to those positions are as much of a joke as the American political process, and MORE political.

By this point, I accepted the fact that 'my daddy—was never going to—own the driving range,' a little truism invented by our great friend and MASTER of the truism, Don Villavaso. He always said, "If your daddy (someone who wants you, knows you, owes you, is related to you) owns the 'driving range' (facility), he can make you king, and you can make some money. Otherwise, you have no chance."

But also around this time, another great friend, Richard (Loeb) Patterson, now an AI, said this to me: "What difference does any of this stuff in New Orleans (the New Orleans golf 'mafia' and their anti-Manzella campaign) have to do with a guy in Seattle walking in to a store and buying one of your books or videos?"

Obviously, Richard was very right.

So I continued to teach better everyday, and be ready for a break.

This time, I did it the old fashioned way—on MY OWN.

I started this golf forum, and now it is one of the very best of its kind and a great way for me to 'get the word out' about what I have to offer to someone looking for golfing improvement.

It is the closest thing to 'my daddy owning the driving range,' and a great equalizer against the media-darling pros like Leadbetter, Smith, Flick and Haney.

It is a place were you can come—FOR FREE— and get expert advice from me, my staff and some of the best pros in the world who post here.

It is also a place to debate my position on all things golf instruction and golf.

It, however, is not a place where anyone WITH SOMETHING TO SELL can come and say, "come buy my product."

And from now on, that will be expressly forbidden.

Any attempt to turn a thread into a "come buy this product" advertisement, will be DELETED as soon as I or one of my staff can take it down.

This site is the place where I FINALLY can reach the masses—and I have.

Golfers from all over the world have learned from the forum, purchased and improved their golf games with the help of my videos, and come to see me for golf schools and private lessons.

The reviews for all of the above are all posted on this site and others, and have been overwhelmingly positive, many from those would have worked with the guys 'supposed to be the best,' but who have found me to be at, or near the top, of my profession. Something that would never have happened without this site.

I realize others have something to sell, but, they need to 'sell it' some where else.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter, as we continually try to improve this site, as we sincerely try to make BrianManzella.com the very best place to go to for great golf instruction and golf improvement material from Brian Manzella. And to make THAT instruction and information the very best available.

Last edited:
squish said:
Sir Brit

The reason Mikes Right foot Sldes in the follow through, is that he saves the turn of the Right hip till well after the strike, to bring him to a front line balance. He does not Hit with a Shoulder or Hip turn using lag.
The right hip brings the knee and ankle to rest after the circular strike,
on an oblique angle to the ball.

Mike only turns at the ends of the swing.

Hogans right foot also dragged but just a little.
I bought the book 'In search of the greatest golf swing' about a year ago. I remember his derogatory remarks about tour players turning themselves silly. But his golf swing would be very difficult to learn given that no instructor locally would be able to teach it, and little information available.

I have found Brians site the nearest thing that I have found that has very detailed instruction, with his downloads and forum. Although I would dearly love to be able to have a proper lesson. It is very hard to learn without someone instructing you, as what you think you are doing is never what you are actually doing and taping yourself all the time would be just a pain.

Oh! and I believe I would be Lady Brit :)

Last edited:

EdZ

New
Austin's move is one of the best you'll ever see IMO.

The clearest view of the 'spoke' - the hands to chest relationship - that great champions demonstrate - and a KEY reason for all his power and accuracy (Percy Boomer would agree)

THIS is what Ballard was 'trying' to explain with his 'connection' approach - but he assumed it was a 'fixed' relationship that must be 'done' rather than one that is maintained by proper motion and balance.

Agreed Brian - frame #5 - excellent position for power. Jack of old, and VJ today are great examples

Frame #5 - a key visual of what I am talking about when I mention the feel of 'hitting the ball with the back of the left shoulder' - a very powerful visual that will help swingers tremendously

Frame #6 - the left knee move of Snead and the 'squat'

Frame #8 - ideal impact IMO - the 'spoke' is in place and the lag/throwaway reference should be to THAT line, not the left arm - the only way to do that is to tilt properly

The 'spoke' of the wheel - a very critical visual - and what the 'Flammer' is all about

Excellent analysis Brian of one of the best 'motions' of all time.

Nobody knew how to "support the on plane swinging force in balance" better than Austin

Well this Austin thread is winding down. Its been interesting to see how it would unfold. Brian thanks for your review and the time that you put in it. Rosser gave a little push but you responded well. Its interesting how they didnt really respond to your remarks except for a few, Right away it got highjacked , so instead of building on what you said , it got superseded by another discription which crippled your momentium. So we never really got that Austin swing tore down to see how it starts for example, Rosser mentioned this thread to me so by the time i read it all it was already to this point, so i couldnt inject any questions. Since this is one of the swings i teach, it would be interesting to hear Brians reaction to some questions, For instance since the head at the top of the backswing is over the right leg, and that Mike pretty much keeps it there through impact i found that on the forward swing you want to swing a little out to the right so that by the time you reach the ball the clubhead is on the right path, also with the head in this position how do you think this would effect the launch angle? JerryMB

Last edited:
I am curious how the MA folks would teach someone to achieve a Mike Austin impact position (flat left wrist, bent right wrist) if that person has clubhead throwaway and a bent left wrist, flat right wrist.

Matt

The head to the right location and deep axis tilt allows Mike to really try to hit down on the ball without taking a huge divot or coming over the top.

birdie_man said:
I dunno how you can say there is no twisting.....maybe Austin is trying for something else or w/e you wanna say.....but I look at that tape....and the man is rotating.....there's not a golfer that doesn't.

Go ahead if you wanna elabourate or explain yourself more BTW.

And...

Lots of ppl setup with Tilt (and you prolly should IMO.....).....this is what Brian teaches a lot of the time I think.

It's not an exclusive MA thing by any means. Not even close. I honestly am not sure if that's what it's made out to be really but I'm just saying that it obviously isn't.

I will explain my self. But mabye not as well as Brian Can as he is Truly living his dream, to the Max.
Like I said Its an illusion. In Mikes method the twisting of the spine you think you see is not torque, like the X factor.

It is a swing of the spine accomplished with subtle foot action. The Ankles knees and hips rotate the torso (shoulders and hips) as a locomotive wheel suspended and vertical on end.
A locomotive wheel has no bearings, where the wheels turn independantly around the axel. The axel and Wheels are one.

However, after forward press, when the hips swing (or pivot) the to the right,
the Top and bottom wheel (hips and shoulders) turn at the end of the rearward swing of this inclined to the ball wheels assembly.

A 70* swing of the lower wheel to the right. At this point is where the rear shoulder adducts, the front shoulder abducts to its limit of travel.(appears to be a twisting of the spine). If the spine twists it puts you off plane to the ball.
The Hips Turn with this action, by the letting out (eversion) of the left heel, with the ball of the left foot still on the ground and letting the heel raise only a few inches.

So the spine and torso move as a unit. Not twisting like a rubber brick.

How do you get the club head speed without torque?
By Throwin the club from the top within the transition triggered by an outward pressure of the thumbs on the handle the shaft.
Clubhead leading an on plane path to the ball.
The clubhead and shaft makes its own 180* arc with the wrist action. Thats what you are timing. Two circular forces to meet through impact.

The club head has a farther distance to travel to get to the impact shoulder ball line, a lot father travel than the hips . So the club head must lead. The farther away the club head is. The wider the arc. The more speed it can gain.

If the Body trys to Keep up or Delay the strike,Tug, pull, or harpoon the the shaft so as to keep up with the clubhead... Your Dead.
You get ahead of the shot.

In the throwing swing the club head must lead.

No twisting of the spine, no torque. Its about centrifugal force.

The actions of the body support the throw of the clubhead.
The body is not the primary force, it is a secondary or supporting force.
The left arm and torso move in a unified manner, maintaining the crucial measured distance to the ball that was set at address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.