Austin Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
thinkin2 said:
I won't go into great depth on Austin or Shauger, there are some who might, but if you do even a half a search on Mike Austin you will find enough to know that there was way more to the man than one long drive. Your post shows that you haven't done that. I don't know how old you are or how far you hit the ball but how far do you think you will hit it when you are in your 70's? Do a little more homework. Google can't give you everything. My post isn't intended to anger you but to provoke you into taking a closer look at the man.
Jerry

I'm just too lazy.

I looked at Google....it usually gives me what I need to know.

Could you please tell me what he did?

Or is the list too long?

Honestly I am curious.

I just have honestly never heard of anything but an 8000 yard (obvious exaggeration on my part) drive.....

I don't think anyone except an "Austin follower" would know anything about this man (cept the long drive....and even that's only a maybe).

Last edited:
Hi, birdie_man. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember when or what caused me to get interested in Mike Austin. Of course, the 515 yard drive has to wake up anybody who believes it. I guess I was a little skeptical of it at first. But once I started looking deeper, it was all verified. The man was so much more than just someone great with a golf club. I know this sounds corny but he was one of those rare individuals who could have probably done anything he wanted to. Even though he accomplished great feats I don't think he ever got the recognition he could have. I truly believe the man could have been so much more than he was at golf or a number of other things. But he was first and foremost, I believe, a man thirsty for knowledge. So, that said, I believe he devoted so much time to education that, although he learned much about the anatomy and how it relates to the golf swing, it took something away as far as time goes that he never achieved what he was certainly capable of in tournament golf (and his putting was reported to be not good but he could have worked on that). I think he just had a talent that he took a few steps further with education that enabled him to do things with a golf club and ball that nobody else at the time, or even now perhaps, could do as far as striking a golf ball and hitting it unbelievable distances. But if this is too hard to believe, just go back to the days after the Black Sox Scandal and take a look at what Babe Ruth did. I think they were somehow close to the same kind of people. Only difference is that the Babe was pure baseball and nothing else. He did things that nobody else could do and many of his records stand, even today. Ask anybody in the world today who he was and they will know. Mike Austin was that kind of man but never zeroed in on what would have made his name as recognizable as Babe Ruth's. I just don't know how to explain it any better so if this doesn't answer your question I apologize. I know there are some regulars here on the forum who resent this thread and I guess maybe I can understand that. I cannot speak for all of the Austin followers as there has been much dispute and quite a few differences of opinion concerning the Austin swing in the past. But a few of those guys are really good guys who are dedicated to trying to help others understand this swing. But I speak for myself when I say that I really like this forum and the way things are discussed here. This thread on any other forum would have turned into something so nasty I don't want to even think about it. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I hope I have told you something that helps. Have a good one.
Jerry

ms1369 said:
@ the age of 74,Mike averaged 308 yards in 12 long drive tourneys.I guess
we will have to wait a while to see if anyone elses swing can stand up to that.I'll check back in 40 years from now and we can talk about how far Brian & Tom are hittin it.besides,Judgement prior to investigation is ignorant.

OK there we go.

Someone with some stats.

Good job....thanks for that....truly.

Some substance to this thread.

Now we have:

-the record drive
-the swing sequence (very good one)
-the driving distance in his 70s

Keep em comin...

You guys have to understand that....

For all the talk of him hitting this one drive.....and it was an impressive drive.....

That's truly ALL I (and apparently most people) have ever heard of this guy!

No offense....

No one's attacking anyone or condeming anyone or MA or w/e....

Like I said 3-4 times....all I've ever heard of is this one drive.

Till a few threads ago...

thinkin2 said:
Hi, birdie_man. To tell you the truth, I can't even remember when or what caused me to get interested in Mike Austin. Of course, the 515 yard drive has to wake up anybody who believes it. I guess I was a little skeptical of it at first. But once I started looking deeper, it was all verified. The man was so much more than just someone great with a golf club. I know this sounds corny but he was one of those rare individuals who could have probably done anything he wanted to. Even though he accomplished great feats I don't think he ever got the recognition he could have. I truly believe the man could have been so much more than he was at golf or a number of other things. But he was first and foremost, I believe, a man thirsty for knowledge. So, that said, I believe he devoted so much time to education that, although he learned much about the anatomy and how it relates to the golf swing, it took something away as far as time goes that he never achieved what he was certainly capable of in tournament golf (and his putting was reported to be not good but he could have worked on that). I think he just had a talent that he took a few steps further with education that enabled him to do things with a golf club and ball that nobody else at the time, or even now perhaps, could do as far as striking a golf ball and hitting it unbelievable distances. But if this is too hard to believe, just go back to the days after the Black Sox Scandal and take a look at what Babe Ruth did. I think they were somehow close to the same kind of people. Only difference is that the Babe was pure baseball and nothing else. He did things that nobody else could do and many of his records stand, even today. Ask anybody in the world today who he was and they will know. Mike Austin was that kind of man but never zeroed in on what would have made his name as recognizable as Babe Ruth's. I just don't know how to explain it any better so if this doesn't answer your question I apologize. I know there are some regulars here on the forum who resent this thread and I guess maybe I can understand that. I cannot speak for all of the Austin followers as there has been much dispute and quite a few differences of opinion concerning the Austin swing in the past. But a few of those guys are really good guys who are dedicated to trying to help others understand this swing. But I speak for myself when I say that I really like this forum and the way things are discussed here. This thread on any other forum would have turned into something so nasty I don't want to even think about it. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I hope I have told you something that helps. Have a good one.
Jerry

Bah no one resents this thread....

I bet a lot of ppl are iffy on the 515 deal....understandable really (I dunno myself but w/e).....

It's just that if you hear all these things about "great ballstriker ever"....."greatest swing ever"....

Well, shit....someone's gonna question that stuff. You guys know that.

Thanks for the response. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Having read the extensive Austin threads on other sites there seems to be some fog/mis-information regarding his technique. I believe the MA posters are earnestly seeking answers with no agenda.
In TGM/HK has the answers plus additional information for those in pursuit of MA.
It would be great if someone could post the MA clips in his middle age years from behind/down the line (peaceriver site).
If Brian posts his analysis others will jump in.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
LOL...you wanna know 1 main reason why he hit the ball so long?

Look at the first page of this thread with his swing sequence and look at the 3rd frame.

If you can't figure it out, well you're dumb.

Mike Austin's Secret?

Uh Jim,

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact Austin was built like a horse and his forearms look like Barry Bonds' did three years ago, would it?

Brian,
I have three dvd's, the Peaceriver with Mike Austin and Mike Dunaway (my preference due to production quality as well as content), the Shauger dvd and the Golf Is Mental Imagery dvd. I would be happy to send them to you if you want to take the time to see all that's on them. I would like to have them back when you're finished though. If interested send an email or pm and let me know where to send them.
Jerry

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
dumazz said:
Uh Jim,

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact Austin was built like a horse and his forearms look like Barry Bonds' did three years ago, would it?

well dum-azz...it looks like you aren't so dumb :)

BTW, welcome to the site and i hope that we have been helping you all this time while you've been lurking.

Jim

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Audio coming...

Here is the "marked up" sequence.

I'll post the audio tomorrow morning (my wife is sleeping now). :)

austinseq.jpg

jim_0068 said:
well dum-azz...it looks like you aren't so dumb :)

BTW, welcome to the site and i hope that we have been helping you all this time while you've been lurking.

Jim

Thanks Jim. In addition to Brian and his crew, I've particularly enjoyed your insights as well as Leo's, Ed Z's and Mizuno Joe's (although I haven't seen him post in a long time). I definitely appreciate you guys sharing so much knowledge about the swing.

Hey Brian. I've seen a lot of swing sequences of big hitters, and most of them are in a similar position to Austin at impact. At address, the shaft is pretty close to parallel with the spine angle. But at impact, the shaft line and the spine are nowhere near parallel. The shaft isn't anywhere near inline (from a head on perspective) to the left arm. I've seen this in a lot of really big hitters. So, how is axis tilt related to achieving lag, and how is axis tilt related to distance? Heck, can you properly achieve lag without sufficent axis tilt?

Brian Manzella said:
Here is the "marked up" sequence.

I'll post the audio tomorrow morning (my wife is sleeping now). :)

austinseq.jpg
Bon Ton Roulet

Thanks Brian!

Mike Does not "nor do I" Swing around straight spine. Twisting it like a rubber band.

We "swing" the spine from our center of balance. ( behind that black dot of the flammer between Mikes shoulders),
It's The "7th cervical", where the spine meets the neck, between the shoulders.
That Swing center must be stable throughout the swing.
If that point Remains steady, we are maintaining the proper measured distance to the ball, that
was set With the 30* forward inclination to the ball, and left arm position at address.

The arms Pronate, supinate, flex, extend out from that above swing center.
The "Center of Gravity",The hips at the bottom of the spine, swing freely under the "Center of Balance".

Its a circular (pendulum arc) swing, on an oblique plane (or path) to the ball,
Not Swinging to the wall, then dropping inside. Twisting the spine, then applying a lineal move.
The center being that black dot.
The spine is never twisted, it is suspended and swings right to left. Its controlled through the ankles knees and hips.
At the ends of the swing, what look like a turn is simply the adduction,abduction of the shoulders, giving the 90* turn away look.
Its an illiusion.

Totaly different animal from the modern taught swing.

James Braid Circa 1908 Had the Same exact swing, and explains his well.
James hit a 398 yd. drive with hickory and Gutta percha around that time.

One has to think in terms of a Compound Pendulum.

As for the Release?
Try ernie els. He throws, from the top.
Then releases 180* with the wrists through impact.

Squish

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.