Blog: '09 Masters Shows Swing Evolution - by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Cabrera, Perry, Campbell, Katayama, Mickelson, Flesch, Woods, Stricker, Mahan, O'Hair, Furyk, Villegas, Clark, Ogilvy, Hamilton.

That's the top 15 finishers and ties in the 2009 Masters. Let's look at these names from a golf swing perspective.

Except for the more unusual swings of Jim Furyk and Tim Clark, and forgetting Todd Hamilton as the "gate crasher" in the bunch, there isn't one swing in the group that is either a "One Plane" swing or "Stack and Tilt," the last two "big things" in golf instruction world, a world that like the fashion industry, changes sometimes quickly and sometimes overnight.

Cabrera, Perry, Katayama, Mickelson, Woods, Stricker, Mahan, O'Hair, Villegas, and Ogilvy, all share a few common traits, and one big one—a dynamic pivot necessary to play a big course like Augusta well.

I know a couple of relatively short hitters won the last couple of Masters, but the course set-up took the advantage away from the power hitters, and guys with good "long games" like Ogilvy.

This dynamic pivot eschews the centered or left-lean of the two latest "fashionable" styles, and loads up for the kill on the backswing.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

As far as swings go, you have to give credit where it is due, Butch Harmon's stuff looked better on Tiger in 2000 than Hank Haney's does now. And Phil Mickelson swung well, and hit it great at times on Sunday.

Why?

Because even though Butch has one particular set of elements he prefers, and it may or may not be ideal for either Tiger or Phil, it is certainly more athletic, and less steery than what Tiger is doing now.

Phil's swing just looked better than Tiger's did on Sunday, and he hit much better shots with it.

Even Tiger's biggest critics would say he has more physical ability than Phil.

Score one for Butch.

Aaron Baddeley—according to him—had a good week with the driver, a club that was his biggest liability with the "Stack & Tilt" pattern he has put behind him.

Here's hoping he reaches his potential with his old coach, or someone who finds the right set of components for him.

What does this all mean?

It means that a new generation of golfers is taking hold of the tour. The guys who grew up in college when the ball and the driver started going super-long. The guys who cut their teeth on long courses that require more than just dink and dunk.

It also means that the older guys who can compete, will be the Perry's and Cabrea's who just pound it.

I have always said that TrackMan and 6° 3D will kill the non-dynamic patterns. And although they still have a place on Tour for now—with courses that don't discourage the style of play that they produce—this Masters may be a turning point toward Athletic golf swings.

It's good for golf.

Bronco Billy

If Tiger Had Any Brains He Would.....

He Would Go Back To Butch Immediately.... If He Doesn't Migrate Back to Butch or to the 2000 Swing.... Tiger is Doomed to Fall Back to the Middle of the Pack.... And He will Never Reach All of His Goals.... Have a Great Day...:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
He Would Go Back To Butch Immediately.... If He Doesn't Migrate Back to Butch or to the 2000 Swing.... Tiger is Doomed to Fall Back to the Middle of the Pack.... And He will Never Reach All of His Goals.... Have a Great Day...:)

Stop with the colored posts!!!

I don't think he is EVER going back to Butch.

I know this, Tiger will NEVER be middle of the pack.

The guy was 6-under through 16 FIGHTING his swing on every shot.

My 13 year old son can see that his head dips and his butt squats about 6-8 inches. You can swing on any plane you want but you cant change spine angle and hit it with any consistency beyond an 8 iron. Hooks, fades, slices and draws will be equally represented.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Poor Tiger.

I think I "said" to Tiger—through the TV screen—at least a dozen times:

Just SWING AT IT!!!!!

Don't gather up any more marbles!!!!

Please!!!

Just brutal.

I could fix him in 20 minutes.

My 13 year old son can see that his head dips and his butt squats about 6-8 inches. You can swing on any plane you want but you cant change spine angle and hit it with any consistency beyond an 8 iron. Hooks, fades, slices and draws will be equally represented.

I disagree. You can dip, squat, or maintain that posture all you want, but if the club is THAT laid off, you're fighting a shot to the right or a dead pull hook all day.

Which he did.

I said it to many friends at the beginning of this year, and I stand by it: Tiger will leave Haney by the end of the year.

If the best player in the world (ever?) can't hit a fairway with his 5-wood, something's askew with what he's being taught...

my thoughts...

Imagine how stupid Tiger will look if he does go back to Butch.

The thing I don't understand is actually Tiger knows how to and has hit shots in competition in the last 2 years that 1) didn't gather up the marbles, 2) weren't too laid off, but he still continues to try and do these things.

Whenever someone/media brings up his "benchmark years" circa ~2000, he always says something like he can hit "so many more shots now he couldn't he before", etc. Corn?

And I really do think Tiger doesn't try to do everything Haney teaches. He's too intelligent to be a dog. I think he experiments shit loads of patterns in his own range at home.

dbl

New
Nice writeup. Now to pound the ball like those guys! Better pivot and right arm lately and I can feel it coming.

Anyway, in the sentence below I think you mean...
"Even Phil's biggest critic would say he has more physical ability than Tiger."
Right? Or am I reading it wrong.

FIXED IT!

Thanks,

"Even Tiger's biggest critic would say he has more physical ability than Phil."

Last edited:
Watching Sunday, I was thinking Tiger had to be saying to himself, "THAT guy is blowing it 30 yards past me off the tee...and I still can't even find the fairway with a driver...F**&&^^'in Haney and his laid-off golf swing...??? All he ever says to me for years and years is the same thing over and over again...Hell, I used to hit it 20 yards past THAT guy off the tee."

We'll get to find out if Tiger, who's obviously very smart, is too stubborn to admit the error of his ways. Do the smarts or the stubborness win out?

Last edited:
Imagine how stupid Tiger will look if he does go back to Butch.

The thing I don't understand is actually Tiger knows how to and has hit shots in competition in the last 2 years that 1) didn't gather up the marbles, 2) weren't too laid off, but he still continues to try and do these things.

Whenever someone/media brings up his "benchmark years" circa ~2000, he always says something like he can hit "so many more shots now he couldn't he before", etc. Corn?

And I really do think Tiger doesn't try to do everything Haney teaches. He's too intelligent to be a dog. I think he experiments shit loads of patterns in his own range at home.

I think when Tiger hits his short irons, he forgets about the Haney pattern and does what works.

I still think when Tiger just swings at it, hits a draw,...he's money. Probably why Brian says he can fix him in 20 minutes.

I said it to many friends at the beginning of this year, and I stand by it: Tiger will leave Haney by the end of the year.

I hope you are right, but where would he go and what if he chose someone even worse:eek:

Great post BM, totally agree with everything you said.

I hope Tiger leaves Haney and gets his swing back, it's 50/50 everytime he is on the tee with driver! Haney is nice and all but I like Tigers swing better when he was with Butch.

By the way Phil and Tiger had similar swing speeds, Phil is more optimized with his driver, Tiger hit down on his driver too much (maybe to gain more control). I think if he had a better angle of attack he would be outdriving Phil for sure!

It's maddening for me to watch Tiger do the "over-swing, squat and lurch" thing. My word, with all that talent....just SWING the club!

I swear it made me nauseous on Sunday. Just can't understand why he doesn't just simply SWING the golf club, for pete's sake. I believe Tiger plays his best golf with what looks like and amounts to about a 75%-effort swing.

After he watched coverage Thurs thru Sat, it took nine holes for me to get my 10-year-old to stop mimicking that "squat and lurch" thing Sunday morning. Just maddening...:eek:

Really?? Phil and Tiger had similar swing speeds? I always thought Tiger swung the club around 125-130 with the Driver. Do you know the speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.