Blog: '09 Masters Shows Swing Evolution - by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Load Sadlowski up on Steroids, get him stronger and keep him flexible and he'll hit the ball even further than he does now, as long as he can maintain the flexability he currently has.

I'm just baffled how people can think that getting stronger doesn't help you swing a club faster.

I guarantee you if Tiger sits on his ass for a year and quits working out, he'll lose swing speed.

Bronco Billy/Mandrin, if getting stronger does not help with clubhead speed, why would baseball players get all jacked up on steroids in order to generate more bat speed and hit the ball further?

If a player already swings the club on the "path of least resistance" and he got stronger, couldn't he swing the club even faster if it was still on the "path of least resistance"?

Bronco Billy

No......

Load Sadlowski up on Steroids, get him stronger and keep him flexible and he'll hit the ball even further than he does now, as long as he can maintain the flexability he currently has.

I'm just baffled how people can think that getting stronger doesn't help you swing a club faster.

I guarantee you if Tiger sits on his ass for a year and quits working out, he'll lose swing speed.

Bronco Billy/Mandrin, if getting stronger does not help with clubhead speed, why would baseball players get all jacked up on steroids in order to generate more bat speed and hit the ball further?

If a player already swings the club on the "path of least resistance" and he got stronger, couldn't he swing the club even faster if it was still on the "path of least resistance"?

Getting Stronger Does Not Necessarily Mean Swinging Faster..... Again Strength Equates to Strength.... Speed Equates to Speed.... Strength Can Be Increased..... Speed is Very Very Difficult to Increase.... Basically Speed is Innate Ie. One is Born with it..... Swinging along the Path of Least Resistance does NOT Require Abnormal Strength.... Say it Takes 50# of Force to Swing at a ClubHead Speed of 120 mph along the Path of least Resistance.... Assume Two Players with the Same Innate Speed and Different Strengths.... The First Player Apples 100# of force to the Club with His Innate Max Speed... The result is a 120 mph ClubHead Speed.... The Second Player applies 200# of Force to the club with His Innate Max Speed... The result is again 120 mph ClubHead Speed.... Since it only requires 50# of Force to Generate a 120 mph ClubHead both Players Gain ZERO Speed by applying more than 50# of Force to the Club.... Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge....:)

Hmm, maybe I look at this differently than you.

I look at it as power strength (slow twitch muscle fibers) and speed strength (2xand 2A fast twitch muscle fibers.

Both can be improved upon through correct training. I may be interpreting what your saying incorrectly, but from what your saying we can not improve speed.

I disagree, there are numerous tests that have shown significant increases in speed through proper strength training. 40 yd dash speed, agility drill speed, hand speed, etc.

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

tfro

New
Have you ever looked at a 100m sprinter? Or any other fast twitch athlete? They work out like crazy.

I agree that one is born with speed, but it can greatly be increased in the gym.

Bronco Billy

Then Again.....

Hmm, maybe I look at this differently than you.

I look at it as power strength (slow twitch muscle fibers) and speed strength (2xand 2A fast twitch muscle fibers.

Both can be improved upon through correct training. I may be interpreting what your saying incorrectly, but from what your saying we can not improve speed.

I disagree, there are numerous tests that have shown significant increases in speed through proper strength training. 40 yd dash speed, agility drill speed, hand speed, etc.

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

If One Has a Bad Golf Swing.... Ie. A GolfSwing that Deviates from the Path of Least Resistance.... One Can Gain ClubHead Speed by Massive Strength Training.... When One Deviates from the Path of Least Resistance in the GolfSwing It Requires Behemoth Strength to Generate Acceptable ClubHead Speed.... The Path of Least Resistance is the Key to an "Ideal" GolfSwing and Should Be the Crux of Golf Instruction... It is Why Johnny Can't Play Golf... Have a Great Day With Your New Found Knowledge.....:)

Ok, we'll put this one to bed. It seems we are somewhat in agreement, except for the "path of least resistance" cavaet.

On the other hand, I would like to better understand the theory on the path of least resistance and how one finds that path.

Bronco Billy

The Short Answer is....

Ok, we'll put this one to bed. It seems we are somewhat in agreement, except for the "path of least resistance" cavaet.

On the other hand, I would like to better understand the theory on the path of least resistance and how one finds that path.

Swinging Exactly Like Iron Byron or PingMan..... They Personify the Most Efficient "Ideal" GolfSwing..... Ie. The Robots Swing Along the Path of Least Resistance......
sonic_3_12.gif

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

I'm not saying you might find maybe a few mph but anything "significant" is out of the question at the levels these guys are at. I truly believe that everyone has a max swingspeed they can achieve and i have spoken to numerous PT's who have told me that in their opinion the body will only swing the club as fast as it can w/o losing grip of it. So lets say you could "potentially" swing at 110 but max out right now at 105 because at anything above that the club would come out of your hands. So if you worked out enough to be able to swing at the 110 you would but anything ON TOP of that 110 won't be there.

Because i have known plenty of golfers and students who don't. They are extremely minimal gains; i have found more swing speed with mechanics than i have seen from people working out barring my example above. Working out for golf is more about the strength and stamina to be able to swing CONSISTENTLY the same swing throughout the entire round. In fact i have plenty of golfers who LOSE swing speed from getting bigger muscularly and lose their flexibility.

I doubt it; Tiger even admits he swung faster when he was younger than he does now.

lia41985

Work fast-twitch muscle fiber (specifically type IIB): high weight, low rep training; the Olympic lifts; dynamic effort method

tfro

New
I'm not saying you might find maybe a few mph but anything "significant" is out of the question at the levels these guys are at. I truly believe that everyone has a max swingspeed they can achieve and i have spoken to numerous PT's who have told me that in their opinion the body will only swing the club as fast as it can w/o losing grip of it. So lets say you could "potentially" swing at 110 but max out right now at 105 because at anything above that the club would come out of your hands. So if you worked out enough to be able to swing at the 110 you would but anything ON TOP of that 110 won't be there.

I'd say a few MPH is significant if you hit golf balls as far as you can for a living.

Why would golf be the only sport that has a 'max'?

How could the club coming out of your hands be the limit? Just hold it tighter? Might not be the best for feel or touch, but so what.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Work fast-twitch muscle fiber (specifically type IIB): high weight, low rep training; the Olympic lifts; dynamic effort method

I've been told by numerous trainers it is impossible to actually train the various twitch muscles; you can lift different ways to get various typs of strenth i.e. power, dynamic, stamina etc but to actually isolate and only train a specific type of twitch muscle fiber isn't possible.

I've also been told you can't increase the amount of twitch muscle fiber either.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'd say a few MPH is significant if you hit golf balls as far as you can for a living.

Maybe for Long Drive but not PGA tour level golf

How could the club coming out of your hands be the limit? Just hold it tighter? Might not be the best for feel or touch, but so what.

It has to do with your subconscious controlling you hitting the ball. Do you realize that if you actually were able to have trigger delay in an OTT type move you'd miss the ball completely? Whether you realize it or not your subconscious realizes you are going to miss the ball and will release the club earlier to make sure you don't miss it. This is in line with other moves in the golf swing as well.

You can't just "hold it tigther" if your muscles aren't strong enough. Think about it this way:

Let's say you are trying to lift something extremely heavy on a pulley system and you aren't strong enough to do it. The rope (or whatever you are trying to hold onto) will start to slip through your hands because you can't hold on to it via strength.

This is what i'm saying in the golf swing...if you swung at a speed that your muscles (strength) couldn't hold onto the golf club the club would literally fly out of your hands due to the force (similar to my pulley example above). However you don't want that to happen so you literally slow it down enough so that it doesn't happen whether this is conscious or subconsciously.

Similar to my example i have talked about numerous times about better players picking UP swing speed by going to stronger equiptment. A lot of players will slow their swing DOWN to play the weaker shaft so the ball doesn't BALLOON. Give them something stronger that won't balloon and they swing to their potential. I picked up almost 5mph of swing speed by going to X flex shafts and i have seen similar gains in other people too; this one time a student was swinging his 5 iron S300 shaft 90mph and i gave him my 5 iron X100 iron and he consistently started hitting 94-96mph. It's because it allowed him to go after it without fear of the ball ballooing.

IMO everyone has their max speed they can swing a club and you can find large improvements via mechanics and some strength conditioning but once you are basically at that max speed not much you can do to increase it. Otherwise every single muscle guy on earth could swing a club 150mph. My max swing speed hasn't changed much from when i first started as a 100+ shooter (108-112) at that time to what i can do now which is closer to 110-115.

lia41985

I've been told by numerous trainers it is impossible to actually train the various twitch muscles; you can lift different ways to get various typs of strenth i.e. power, dynamic, stamina etc but to actually isolate and only train a specific type of twitch muscle fiber isn't possible.

I've also been told you can't increase the amount of twitch muscle fiber either.
I'm not talking about isolation, I'm talking about using certain training modalities to preferentially recruit certain fiber types. You will recruit more fast twitch fibers doing 3 repetitions of heavy deadlifts compared to doing 20 slow tempo leg curls.

You're second statement is correct.

tfro

New
Maybe for Long Drive but not PGA tour level golf

I agree, I thought the thread shifted to long drive guys. Actually, I think a few MPH is significant for PGA guys too, but not at what you'd have to give up in the rest of the game.

It has to do with your subconscious controlling you hitting the ball. Do you realize that if you actually were able to have trigger delay in an OTT type move you'd miss the ball completely? Whether you realize it or not your subconscious realizes you are going to miss the ball and will release the club earlier to make sure you don't miss it. This is in line with other moves in the golf swing as well.

You can't just "hold it tigther" if your muscles aren't strong enough. Think about it this way:

Let's say you are trying to lift something extremely heavy on a pulley system and you aren't strong enough to do it. The rope (or whatever you are trying to hold onto) will start to slip through your hands because you can't hold on to it via strength.

So, you can't swing faster by working out and getting stronger because your grip isn't strong enough? Uh? If the grip becomes the weak link, workout your grip strength.

This is what i'm saying in the golf swing...if you swung at a speed that your muscles (strength) couldn't hold onto the golf club the club would literally fly out of your hands due to the force (similar to my pulley example above). However you don't want that to happen so you literally slow it down enough so that it doesn't happen whether this is conscious or subconsciously.

Similar to my example i have talked about numerous times about better players picking UP swing speed by going to stronger equiptment. A lot of players will slow their swing DOWN to play the weaker shaft so the ball doesn't BALLOON. Give them something stronger that won't balloon and they swing to their potential. I picked up almost 5mph of swing speed by going to X flex shafts and i have seen similar gains in other people too; this one time a student was swinging his 5 iron S300 shaft 90mph and i gave him my 5 iron X100 iron and he consistently started hitting 94-96mph. It's because it allowed him to go after it without fear of the ball ballooing.

IMO everyone has their max speed they can swing a club and you can find large improvements via mechanics and some strength conditioning but once you are basically at that max speed not much you can do to increase it. Otherwise every single muscle guy on earth could swing a club 150mph. My max swing speed hasn't changed much from when i first started as a 100+ shooter (108-112) at that time to what i can do now which is closer to 110-115.

I agree that your subconcious has a huge effect on swing speed, I've felt it myself. But, I've also experienced changes in swing speed based on my fitness. I picked up A LOT (~7mph) of swing speed going to a 85 gram x-flex shaft, but using the same driver now compared to what I played in college (when I spent a ton of time in the gym) my swing speed slowed 4-5 mph.

Not every 'muscle guy' has decent flexibilty, or trains for explosive power. So, of course they won't all have serious swing speed. But take someone who trains with olympic lifts and other dynamic excersizes, and odds are they'll swing the club fast (might not hit the ball, but the club head speed will be fast).

Edit: I do agree that swing mechanics can add speed also, and in almost all cases, you can pick up more ball speed this way compared to being in the gym.

Last edited:
BRIAN hank butch

here is a question for you bman

forget harmon

forget haney

i know how good you are

what would you do with each (swingwise)...for them to gain consistency

hjack.......................oops i mean with tiger and phil....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Good Questions, Howard. All that training stuff was putting me to sleep.....

what would you do with each (swingwise)...for them to gain consistency

hjack.......................oops i mean with tiger and phil....

I would strengthen Tiger's grip to about 15° stronger than neutral, eliminate his "pop-out," eliminate the laid-off top, take some of the arch out if his wrist at impact (the grip would effectively do it), and de-gather the marble-ize his finish.

I would show Phil how he could be shallow and not to inside-out. And I'd let him swing as long as he wanted.

That's not all I'd do if I was "on the clock," but that's a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.