Calvin Peete Analysis (now w/ a page 18 blog post by Brian Manzella)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just so I way in one this one, in the transition, Peete arches his wrist a lays the club off a bunch. Probably close to a wash/

If you don't understand this, I can't do anything for ya.

lia41985

Kevin and Brian are right, Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. See:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T8qsXcHtJ-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
"Square":
screenshot20120114at945.png

"Open":

"Closed":

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thanks Lia. If someone, anyone, cannot see that arching your left wrist delofts and opens the face I don't know what to say.

These pics people are using are showing delofted faces, not closed.

TeeAce

One of my favorite posts ever. Love the style and substance.:)

And I can't find posting that includes more paradoxes than that.

Not talking about transitions when answering to an question about transition and even with picture???? So talking about what??

The best was: Arching closes the face less than the arm rotation opens it?

What?? Arching itself opens the face, but in next sentence Brian says it closes it but only less than rotation is opening it. What the heck

And finally: the truth is that relative to the target at impact the bowed wrist makes the face more closed than flat wrist when everything else remained the same.

And finally: the truth is that relative to the target at impact the bowed wrist makes the face more closed than flat wrist when everything else remained the same.

Anyone disagree with that? I can't see how anyone could. Heck, Brian says "arching closes the face less than the arm rotation opens it".

PS: I know where Brian and Kevin are coming from, maybe it's just all about "definition".

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
But the arching does close the club face, right, not just deloft it?

What about this guy?

Deloft or closing the face?

Dustin Johnson DL 5i Slow Motion Golf Swing 300 FPS - YouTube

Greg, hold your left hand in front of you and arch your wrist. It opens like a door. I can't see how anyone can't see that. How you maneuver the face in your grip and turn your arm is independent of the act of arching your wrist. That move opens the face and delofts it.

Greg, hold your left hand in front of you and arch your wrist. It opens like a door. I can't see how anyone can't see that. How you maneuver the face in your grip and turn your arm is independent of the act of arching your wrist. That move opens the face and delofts it.

But golfers aren't opening doors. A bowed left wrist at the top of a swing puts the club in a more shut position (face pointing more towards sky). This play on words stuff doesn't get us anywhere IMO. Golfers like Graeme McDowell, Dustin Johnson and Jim Thorpe bow their wrist at the top and this shuts their clubface.

TeeAce

Tapio,

What you are doing is TWISTING.

Not in the same plane.

Nice try.

It's pure palmar flexion without any roll except what that arching gets happen. I'd like to see if someone can get it open by getting from cupped to bowed.

So, not that simple as I said in my first comment.

fadegolfer

Im not sure what the debate is about, of course wrist arching closes the face and points it more skyward in Calvin's swing. Brian said in post #44- Calvin's wrist arching closes the club.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It's pure palmar flexion without any roll except what that arching gets happen. I'd like to see if someone can get it open by getting from cupped to bowed.

So, not that simple as I said in my first comment.

No.

In golf, those terms (flat, arched) either mean in the plane of the ground, or the plane of the swing.

Nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.