Downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
I have different answers on what starts the down swing. Once I get to the top (brian) what is the first movement to start down in sequences please.

I'm no Brian, but I'd say that there's not so much one thing that "starts" the downswing, but that there are certain things that begin the transition from backswing to downswing. My estimate would be that a shift of pressure toward the front foot would be the first thing you'd see happen in a good player's downswing sequence.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Joe....great question.

In a good golf swing, the feet are ALREADY STARTING TO MOVE IN THE "downswing direction" —laterally toward the target and rotationally toward the target—well before the club gets anywhere near what folks would call the top.

Something that YOU CAN NOT SEE ON VIDEO.

joep

New
Personally, I love the right foot clockwise push in the transition.

Brian glad to see your doing great also very glad to see you found time to answer my question. O.K. now one last thing,after the feet move forward what is the next thing that follows body or hands?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Joe....

The FEET SLOW AND HALT the backswing as well as changing the direction.

Just a reminder....

:)

The next thing to start towards the target is the hips....first the ADD a little turn as they start to shift forward, then they start to turn.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you really want to learn to pivot correctly—you have to get the forces that rotate, shift, and orient the body in space correct.

Ground Reaction Force Science is the way and the truth.

Otherwise....you are one step behind the CAUSE for the position or movement.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Now...the way to learn this is with MOVEMENT DOWNSTAIRS.....

I'll post up a little video.

In the meantime, watch this little guy's foot shuffle....the answers are all there......

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/115412290" width="749" height="421" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

That little guy's probably not thinking about a thing except whackin' that ball. Wouldn't mind having that flexibility once again but I have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than having that again.

I was working with an idea today of the first move being something akin to moving the right arm/wrist as if to hammer a nail (not one toward the target).

I think I may have stumbled on a tangential move accidentally.

If you really want to learn to pivot correctly—you have to get the forces that rotate, shift, and orient the body in space correct.

Ground Reaction Force Science is the way and the truth.

Otherwise....you are one step behind the CAUSE for the position or movement.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there some place or video that's out where I can learn more about this now?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No doubt, Jared.

Without stepping on the right foot and moving the COP to the right early, the only way to make a backswing pivot is to reverse your hips, or your torso, or your head, or all three.

joep

New
Brian you said...The next thing to start towards the target is the hips....first then ADD a little turn as they start to shift forward, then they start to turn. Ok I understand, my last question. When you start down using your pivot..is it your right side or your left side that starts the pivot???...After I get an answer I think I know what I must work on....thanks all who have helped.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think that depends on you Joe, and whatever feel works best. I hit it best when settle in to my right hip to start the downswing.

I find it hard to understand how the left heel can be coming off the ground during backswing and transition while the cop is moving towards target side.

Can you rephrase that, Leo....?

Sure...I see a lot of good players left heel start to lift off the ground WELL AFTER the COP is supposed to be moving back to target side (supposedly mid back swing). You would think the left heel should be stomping into the ground as COP is moving to target side at a rapid rate, rather than doing the opposite

http://youtu.be/_xokFOFHvRg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.