EDZ's own version of 2-K

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by holenone

quote:Originally posted by Mathew
I honestly believe that Homer was spooky intelligent. I remember once hearing an old chinese proverb which has always been of great importance to me when learning which I think has relevance here. The cup has to be emptied before it can be refilled. See how often that this applies in your life and embrace it because it is a true path of learning.

Mathew,

Homer Kelley was indeed 'spooky intelligent.' Without hesitation, I use the word 'genius.' He was without a doubt the most intelligent and most fiercely independent thinker I have met in my 58 years.

I realize this is not a philosophical thread, but I liked your Chinese quote and wanted to add my own along the same line:

"The shell must break before the bird can fly."

-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

We all must keep chipping away from within whatever 'shell' we find ourselves. A life -- like Impact -- happens from the "inside out."

:)

I don't understand Holenone.. I thought you weren't going to post anything not about the book "The Golfing Machine." I'm looking through the book for a quote by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.. and can't find it. :D

EdZ

New

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Lynn - I have no disagreement that things must 'catch up' to an inline condition. The ONLY place I disagree with TGM in regard to lag is WHEN that in line condition is achieved. I see that it is achieved LATER than Homer did, thus ensuring lag.

Read my post re: rope swinging and a longer rope. I don't think Homer was 'wrong' to view the rope as verticle at impact, I think he didn't account for the 'longer section of rope' that would be 'under the ground', it would still not be straight, and would straighten at both arms straight, perpendicular to the shoulder line, well after impact.

Let's stick to this one, and use the rope as our reference.

Ed,

Your post above makes clear that, unfortunately -- and I mean this sincerely -- you simply do not understand The Golfing Machine.

I understand you feel that way Lynn. I am, sincerely, trying to convey something that explains areas of TGM that have been in conflict to date - swinging AND hitting, right arm swinging to name a couple.

I sincerely believe you do not yet understand what I am saying to you. Case in point:

(holenone)
Your 'winding and unwinding string' image demands a Rotated Shoulder Turn (in both directions); Zero Axis Tilt; and hence, Zero Weight Shift. This means Low Power.

So, however else you choose to think of it, what you have described in your image (as a substitute for Mechanics to produce a correct Feel) is a Rotated Shoulder Turn (10-16-C) with a Shiftless Hip Turn (10-14-C) and a Circle Path Delivery (10-23-E).
(/holenone

First, axis tilt - absolutely important. In fact, the MORE axis tilt, the more margin for error. The more right wrist bend, the more axis tilt. The more right elbow bend at impact, the more axis tilt.

In essence, the more you have your hands ahead at impact, the more you will have axis tilt, right wrist bend and bend in the right arm.

Do you agree or disagree that the more forward ball position REQUIRES more axis tilt, right wrist bend, and more bend in the right arm?

Do you agree or disagree that the more 'centered' the ball position, the less axis tilt, less right wrist bend, and striaghter the right arm would be?

Agreed?

Weight shift - what I am saying is that you turn your shoulders AROUND that spot on your back. If you do that, you will most certainly have some shift back and through. I agree with Brian's view on this, his pictures are a good reference point. You can turn 'around' that spot, shift your upper body around it, and keep it still during the motion.

I am NOT talking about a circle delivery path. The 'largest circle' is that defined by both arms straight. You simply can't make a larger circle because you can't have BOTH hands on the club, fully extended, and NOT have them centered on your chest.

You are swinging INSIDE this largest circle. You are positioning this circle so that you will ALWAYS impact the ball/ground well before you reach full extension. Because you have right wrist bend, you 'shorten' the clubHEAD travel, so that at impact it is not fully extended.

You are creating a WHIP LIKE motion, INSIDE this largest circle.

If you had a clock and 6 o'clock were the ground and noon were your head. position the clock so that 6 o'clock is UNDER the ground, in front of the ball. The ball/impact would be at about 4:30. Your 'center' is position such that this would always be the case.

You have right wrist bend, so you would continue through, take a divot, and move to both arms straight at about 8 o'clock.

Thus the appearence would be that you have an elipse. The appearence would be that your left arm is verticle at impact, and that that was full extension - but the reality is that if you fully released your right arm and right wrist, low point would be well under the ground.

I really would like to help get this across to you, because I think you will appreciate it. I mean no disrespect to you, to Brian, or to Homer.

Tell you what njmp - when someone proves to me that they understand what I am saying, I'll stop. Given Lynn's last response, it is clear he doesn't understand it yet.

I will say AGAIN - nothing I am saying is in conflict with TGM or the positions Homer described. Let's start with that. If you assume, as Lynn did, that it is in conflict, stop there - ask me a question, and I will clarify.

EdZ.... I get it. I know it well. I've spoken many times about it and how it fits in with what and why. You're still going.

holenone

Banned

Do you understand the string winding around the center image? That in such an image, you would have a circle, a constant circle, and that as you wind the string and unwind the string it would 'snap straight' back to 'full extension'? It would be 'inside' the circle.

Your 'winding and unwinding string' image demands a Rotated Shoulder Turn (in both directions); Zero Axis Tilt; and hence, Zero Weight Shift. This means Low Power.

So, however else you choose to think of it, what you have described in your image (as a substitute for Mechanics to produce a correct Feel) is a Rotated Shoulder Turn (10-16-C) with a Shiftless Hip Turn (10-14-C) and a Circle Path Delivery (10-23-E).

I would seriously advise playing downwind only. :)

No Lynn, you do not understand my position at all.

Tell me how your 'winding and unwinding string' image differs -- in the least little bit -- from the Stroke Pattern I have described. At this time, I respectfully request zero deviation from that assisgned task.

OK - now, to start, let me clarify what 'you' think I am saying.

Let's look at a horizontal swing. Hands held out in front of you.
Is that the 'extreme' you think I am talking about?

[Bold by holenone/Yoda.]

No deal. Stick to the assigned task; namely, telling me how the Stroke Pattern I assigned to your 'string immage' was the least little bit inconsistent. In case you've forgotten, here is the quote that established the image:

Posted - 10/25/2004 : 11:54:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here is another image that might get this across to you:

(from John Jacobs book BTW)

Imagine a circle, with its center and full radius of a piece of string.

Now imagine that center point turned and 'wound up' the string around it. The string would shorten, the radius would shorten.

Agreed?

Now imagine that center unwound and 'whipped' the string back to full extension. Always on plane. INSIDE the circle, only touching it at 'full radius'

That is what I am describing.

Separate from a golf swing, do you understand this concept?"

So, I hereby swear I understand that 'string' concept "separate from a golf swing." I also understand its mechanical equivalent in terms of a TGM Stroke Pattern, and I have stated unequivocably its Low Power variation from the ideal. Now I have asked you to tell me how in the least little bit it is inconsistent with the 'string' image you have used to illustrate your theory.

Please, sir, return my serve...or leave centre court.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by Ringer

Dude - how many times do I have to say it before you get it? You are swinging INSIDE that circle. The radius of that circle doesn't change. It can't, your arms are a fixed length and both arms straight DEFINES the radius.

The radius of the HANDS to center is not constant, but the radius of the CIRCLE is constant.

Should you 'try' to keep the hands at full radius - YES - that is what extensor action is ALL ABOUT

EdZ, the ONLY way a person can maintain the radius you speak of is by keeping both arm straight at all times. So are you now suggesting the best way to swing a club is without any 1st Accumulator?

Not at all ringer, you are only in that position at ONE time, after impact, at both arms straight.

holenone

Banned

quote:Originally posted by Mathew
I honestly believe that Homer was spooky intelligent. I remember once hearing an old chinese proverb which has always been of great importance to me when learning which I think has relevance here. The cup has to be emptied before it can be refilled. See how often that this applies in your life and embrace it because it is a true path of learning.

Mathew,

Homer Kelley was indeed 'spooky intelligent.' Without hesitation, I use the word 'genius.' He was without a doubt the most intelligent and most fiercely independent thinker I have met in my 58 years.

I realize this is not a philosophical thread, but I liked your Chinese quote and wanted to add my own along the same line:

"The shell must break before the bird can fly."

-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

We all must keep chipping away from within whatever 'shell' we find ourselves. A life -- like Impact -- happens from the "inside out."

:)

I don't understand Holenone.. I thought you weren't going to post anything not about the book "The Golfing Machine." I'm looking through the book for a quote by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.. and can't find it. :D

The Book is the bird, Ringer. It took 28 years to hatch.

EdZ

New
OK, as I said - separate from a golf swing - you understand that concept.

Now - take that SAME image - tilt the circle to the plane I have described - and go to the clock example I gave. Go to the 'longer rope' example I gave.

Unfortunately I have a meeting to go to, I look forward to continuing to discuss this. Turfspanker is getting close to a good summary.

Thanks for the discussion Lynn, I do appreciate it.

holenone

Banned

Lynn - I have no disagreement that things must 'catch up' to an inline condition. The ONLY place I disagree with TGM in regard to lag is WHEN that in line condition is achieved. I see that it is achieved LATER than Homer did, thus ensuring lag.

Read my post re: rope swinging and a longer rope. I don't think Homer was 'wrong' to view the rope as verticle at impact, I think he didn't account for the 'longer section of rope' that would be 'under the ground', it would still not be straight, and would straighten at both arms straight, perpendicular to the shoulder line, well after impact.

Let's stick to this one, and use the rope as our reference.

Ed,

Your post above makes clear that, unfortunately -- and I mean this sincerely -- you simply do not understand The Golfing Machine.

I understand you feel that way Lynn. I am, sincerely, trying to convey something that explains areas of TGM that have been in conflict to date - swinging AND hitting, right arm swinging to name a couple.

I sincerely believe you do not yet understand what I am saying to you. Case in point:

(holenone)

(/holenone

First, axis tilt - absolutely important. In fact, the MORE axis tilt, the more margin for error. The more right wrist bend, the more axis tilt. The more right elbow bend at impact, the more axis tilt.

In essence, the more you have your hands ahead at impact, the more you will have axis tilt, right wrist bend and bend in the right arm.

Do you agree or disagree that the more forward ball position REQUIRES more axis tilt, right wrist bend, and more bend in the right arm?

Do you agree or disagree that the more 'centered' the ball position, the less axis tilt, less right wrist bend, and striaghter the right arm would be?

Agreed?

Weight shift - what I am saying is that you turn your shoulders AROUND that spot on your back. If you do that, you will most certainly have some shift back and through. I agree with Brian's view on this, his pictures are a good reference point. You can turn 'around' that spot, shift your upper body around it, and keep it still during the motion.

I am NOT talking about a circle delivery path. The 'largest circle' is that defined by both arms straight. You simply can't make a larger circle because you can't have BOTH hands on the club, fully extended, and NOT have them centered on your chest.

You are swinging INSIDE this largest circle. You are positioning this circle so that you will ALWAYS impact the ball/ground well before you reach full extension. Because you have right wrist bend, you 'shorten' the clubHEAD travel, so that at impact it is not fully extended.

You are creating a WHIP LIKE motion, INSIDE this largest circle.

If you had a clock and 6 o'clock were the ground and noon were your head. position the clock so that 6 o'clock is UNDER the ground, in front of the ball. The ball/impact would be at about 4:30. Your 'center' is position such that this would always be the case.

You have right wrist bend, so you would continue through, take a divot, and move to both arms straight at about 8 o'clock.

Thus the appearence would be that you have an elipse. The appearence would be that your left arm is verticle at impact, and that that was full extension - but the reality is that if you fully released your right arm and right wrist, low point would be well under the ground.

I really would like to help get this across to you, because I think you will appreciate it. I mean no disrespect to you, to Brian, or to Homer.

Too many errors, EdZ -- I counted eight on the first pass of your post -- too little time.

holenone

Banned

Now - take that SAME image - tilt the circle to the plane I have described - and go to the clock example I gave. Go to the 'longer rope' example I gave.

Unfortunately I have a meeting to go to, I look forward to continuing to discuss this. Turfspanker is getting close to a good summary.

For the third time, Ed...I asked a question: Explain how the referenced Low Power Stroke Pattern is inconsistent with your 'string' image.

Oh, forget it. I know the answer:

It does not.

Where does one start?

Dude - how many times do I have to say it before you get it? You are swinging INSIDE that circle. The radius of that circle doesn't change. It can't, your arms are a fixed length and both arms straight DEFINES the radius.

The radius of the HANDS to center is not constant, but the radius of the CIRCLE is constant.

Should you 'try' to keep the hands at full radius - YES - that is what extensor action is ALL ABOUT

EdZ.. your idea that there is a set circle, and then you are swinging inside of it applies about as much as "I'm playing golf on Earth." It may be true, but it's inconsiquencial.

The arms act as an apparatus which is attached to the club by the hands, and attached to the body by the shoulder joints. Their movement is dictated by the mechanical levers and joints that exist within our arms and the momentum of the club as well as the body rotation induced to support that momentum. Ideally, there would be no lever system but one... the flail. But because we don't have a single arm protruding from our chest with only one hinge point, we must use the series of levers that the good Lord gave us. We must also recognize that the left arm acts as a flail in this series as it is attached to, and supported by other levers. It is our attempt to IMMITATE a SINGLE FLAIL that we are seeking with every swing... but because we don't want to hit our head on the backswing with the club, we have decided to collapse the right arm during the process, allowing us to instead put the club over our rear shoulder. Although this detracts from a perfectly steady radius, we have not lost all alignments with the ideal flail. It is indeed our attempts to reconnect with those alignments lost which our swing is geared towards.

quote:Originally posted by armourall

EdZ:

How do you define the angle of the plane if you only have two defined points (your "center" and "low point")?

the angle of the plane is defined between 'center' and PP1, (the hands), and an extension of that line to the ground. You can also see this as the angle defined by the 'undersides' of both arms at address, to the butt of the club, again, with an extension to the ground as the third point.

It is the hands that stay on plane around the swing center. No other body part stays on that plane, but the left arm comes 'close' to it going back and the right arm comes 'close' to it going through, however it is always 'between the arms'.

the right elbow does stay on ITS plane as well.

Those three points define a line, not a plane. (Are there any other reference points that determine whether the baseline of your plane is square, closed or open?)

Also, to clarify the angle of your line/plane above, it is drawn (in a down the line view) from the point on the spine between the shoulders through pp#1? This intersects the ground well inside the target line, correct? And the hands remain on this plane for the entire swing? Am I missing something?

Ed?

Yes, it intersects the ground inside the target line, on a parallel line to the target line. Yes, the HANDS remain on this plane, to be specific, PP1 stays on this plane. It is, in effect, the turned shoulder plane as defined in TGM.

By definition, they are not the same plane. Can you possibly be saying that the hands simultaneously travel on BOTH planes?

EdZ

New
Lynn - what you THINK I am saying is still very inaccurate. It is very simple. Take what Homer said, correct 2k to the view I proposed and it EXPLAINS much more of the inconsistencies and conflicts that are in the current version. We are dealing with Force, and force does not always describe a BODY part. You must see how it moves in 3 dimensional space.

Armourall - I think if you look at what most would call a 'shifting' of plane that 'ends up' at the turned shoulder plane at the top, and the plane I describe which 'stays' on the same plane, you would find they do not conflict. I am looking specifically at what the HANDS do in 3 dimensional space

I think we are all suffering from the lack of visuals in cyberspace. Can we pick a series of pics to use as our 'common ground'? Tiger perhaps?

Lynn, I think you believe we disagree much, much more than we agree. Quite the opposite. I am using a new perspective to explain what we would both agree would be a good swing.

Lynn - what you THINK I am saying is still very inaccurate. It is very simple. Take what Homer said, correct 2k to the view I proposed and it EXPLAINS much more of the inconsistencies and conflicts that are in the current version. We are dealing with Force, and force does not always describe a BODY part. You must see how it moves in 3 dimensional space.

Armourall - I think if you look at what most would call a 'shifting' of plane that 'ends up' at the turned shoulder plane at the top, and the plane I describe which 'stays' on the same plane, you would find they do not conflict.

I think we are all suffering from the lack of visuals in cyberspace. Can we pic a series of pics to use as our 'common ground'? Tiger perhaps?

Better yet, let's ask Matthew to help us out.

I'd like to find out if a Zero Shift procedure complies with your plane.

bcoak

New

For the third time, Ed...I asked a question: Explain how the referenced Low Power Stroke Pattern is inconsistent with your 'string' image.

Oh, forget it. I know the answer:

It does not.

Answer the question, Edz or move on.

EdZ

New
Simple - the referenced low power stroke is NOTHING LIKE what I am describing.

Get that through your head. You do not understand my position if that is what you think I am saying. Asking me to explain that pattern means nothing, it isn't what I am talking about, it is what you THINK I am talking about, and you are wrong about that. Simple.

Let's start here:

Look at the picture of Tiger. Draw a line perpendicular to the shoulder line at impact, from center to his hands and extend it to the ground.

Where does that line point?

both arms straight should be at that line.

Why - because low point is under the ground.

You position that circle to ensure contact is always before low point

EdZ

New

EdZ.. your idea that there is a set circle, and then you are swinging inside of it applies about as much as "I'm playing golf on Earth." It may be true, but it's inconsiquencial.

The arms act as an apparatus which is attached to the club by the hands, and attached to the body by the shoulder joints. Their movement is dictated by the mechanical levers and joints that exist within our arms and the momentum of the club as well as the body rotation induced to support that momentum. Ideally, there would be no lever system but one... the flail. But because we don't have a single arm protruding from our chest with only one hinge point, we must use the series of levers that the good Lord gave us. We must also recognize that the left arm acts as a flail in this series as it is attached to, and supported by other levers. It is our attempt to IMMITATE a SINGLE FLAIL that we are seeking with every swing... but because we don't want to hit our head on the backswing with the club, we have decided to collapse the right arm during the process, allowing us to instead put the club over our rear shoulder. Although this detracts from a perfectly steady radius, we have not lost all alignments with the ideal flail. It is indeed our attempts to reconnect with those alignments lost which our swing is geared towards.

You're on the right track re: immitating a SINGLE flail, we have TWO HANDS on the club and the BALANCE of those two hands DOES give you a single flail from your hands to center. Look at both arms straight.

Lynn - explain to me your view of WHY both arms straight is where it is, I would like to understand it. It is the crux of our discussion. I think we both agree WHERE both arms straight is. Now tell me WHY you believe it is there.

But it seems many are still 'inside the box', for those of you familiar with that example.

I think you are close to understanding my position steve, as is turfspanker, and armourall.

EdZ

New

Armourall - I think if you look at what most would call a 'shifting' of plane that 'ends up' at the turned shoulder plane at the top, and the plane I describe which 'stays' on the same plane, you would find they do not conflict.

I think we are all suffering from the lack of visuals in cyberspace. Can we pic a series of pics to use as our 'common ground'? Tiger perhaps?

Better yet, let's ask Matthew to help us out.

Yes, it does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it does.

Copyright EdZ 2004 All Rights Reserved

Could you elaborate?

EdZ

New
Lynn - I was reading your 'winter drill' post, a very excellent post IMO. I agree with that approach, especially the '90 degree' support of the on plane force.

In that post you said:

With the Impact Bag at Impact Point, I emphasize the Clubshaft Forward Lean, the Flat Left and the Bent Right Wrists and the On Plane Right Forearm.

To put it simply, what I am describing is WHY there is forward lean, even though the left arm is at or near verticle.

And how this relates to both the position, and importance of, both arms straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.