Golf Channel, Thank you very much for the opportunity - Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Golf Channel is slowly going the way of ESPN and MTV before it. Starting off with programing that appeals to a specific group of people and slowly eroding it to appeal to the masses while losing your intended audience.

Golf Central is Sportcenter and the Real World. It plays on ad infinitum.

I miss music videos on my music television channel. I miss sporting events on my sports channel. And, dammit, I miss golf on my golf channel.

Can I get some Shell's Wonderful World of Golf instead of replaying episodes of the Big Break, please?

For those of us still in contact with ordinary run of the mill hobby golfers it must be clear that they want something they can relate to, and that means something simple. Otherwise they would have to admit to themselves and others that they know nothing about the sport they've been playing 3 times a week for 20 years. And that would be painful. People don't watch TV to feel bad about themselves. So TGC tells them what they want to hear: the same kind of clicheed BS which stopped us all reaching the level we could have been at had we been properly informed with the right info.

Most of them don't want the truth, because they can't handle the truth......

The Golf Channel is slowly going the way of ESPN and MTV before it. Starting off with programing that appeals to a specific group of people and slowly eroding it to appeal to the masses while losing your intended audience.

Golf Central is Sportcenter and the Real World. It plays on ad infinitum.

I miss music videos on my music television channel. I miss sporting events on my sports channel. And, dammit, I miss golf on my golf channel.

Can I get some Shell's Wonderful World of Golf instead of replaying episodes of the Big Break, please?

Youtube is the only place for that

Sigh :(

S

SteveT

For those of us still in contact with ordinary run of the mill hobby golfers it must be clear that they want something they can relate to, and that means something simple. Otherwise they would have to admit to themselves and others that they know nothing about the sport they've been playing 3 times a week for 20 years. And that would be painful. People don't watch TV to feel bad about themselves. So TGC tells them what they want to hear: the same kind of clicheed BS which stopped us all reaching the level we could have been at had we been properly informed with the right info.

Most of them don't want the truth, because they can't handle the truth......

Bravo wulsy ... this is the first posting of yours that I fully agree with ... and The Truth would destroy the 90% of all "golfers" worldwide who incidentally can't break 100. It's supposed to be a fun game which is social and non-confrontational ... and look at all the 'toys' ... :cool:

(The Truth? - Looking at their naked bodies in a mirror and asking themselves The Question ....)

well, as previously brought up, it is a business. tgc is not in the business of teaching golf; it is in the business of making money by way of golf broadcast.

you would think they have a team that deals with advertisers on a on-going basis in terms of market research: what would you like us to develop program-wise so that you would spend ad dollars. and i am sure that conversation takes place on a fancy golf course.

as much as i quite dislike the style of m breed, the guy hustles and crams into a short time frame things that ads can support. it is the tgc's answer to jim cramer, sort of.

the 3 picks are connected, therefore, safe play for tgc's executives. business as usual is more desirable than high risk ventures because the notion is that it is not worth the effort and the due diligence to break new ground and risk losing one's job. as the saying goes, the forerunners are the ones with knives on their backs. very typical of corporate america, except, perhaps,,apple computer.

different strokes for different folks. hopefully forerunners like brain et al can blaze a new path on their own turf and on their own terms.

Last edited:
i'm looking forward to hopefully seeing more of martin hall. i think he can and will finally add something to the golf channel. hey brian, since you know martin, if he wins see if he can get you to guest appear with him.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Stone Cold Facts. Again.

well, as previously brought up, it is a business. tgc is not in the business of teaching golf; it is in the business of making money by way of golf broadcast.

The Golf Channel wants to make money.

But TRUST ME, they do not want to rock the boat.

Mr. Palmer is NOT interested in that.

And folks, I rock boats.

i'm looking forward to hopefully seeing more of martin hall. i think he can and will finally add something to the golf channel. hey brian, since you know martin, if he wins see if he can get you to guest appear with him.

You never know...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You have to be realistic.

As soon as I heard they weren't doing a live open casting call for this "Search," I knew the fix was in. No pun intended.

But I had to try.

Mine wasn't good enough to overcome the facts of the situation, and neither was ANYONE else's.

I'll have a national show one day, maybe TV, maybe radio. Just have to keep learning, working, and improving.

As soon as I heard they weren't doing a live open casting call for this "Search," I knew the fix was in. No pun intended.

But I had to try.

Mine wasn't good enough to overcome the facts of the situation, and neither was ANYONE else's.

I'll have a national show one day, maybe TV, maybe radio. Just have to keep learning, working, and improving.

Maybe you could contact Peter Kessler and see if he could get you a segment on his Direct TV 101 golf show that he just started.

Maybe you could contact Peter Kessler and see if he could get you a segment on his Direct TV 101 golf show that he just started.

i haven't heard anything about that. i think peter kessler MADE the golf channel. would like to see him with a show of his own on TV. do you know any other particulars for start date, etc?

i haven't heard anything about that. i think peter kessler MADE the golf channel. would like to see him with a show of his own on TV. do you know any other particulars for start date, etc?

Here is the preview to the first episode. I think there has only been one so far. Next airing is on 11/21 at 5pm ET on the 101 (Directv).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGvzU2ljHPY[/media]

Status
Not open for further replies.