How to ZERO OUT the path (with Brian Manzella long answer and MATH!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
TrackMan give Club Path which I one HALF of what I have dubbed "True Path."

The other half is the Attack Angle.

Isn't the club path given a result of horizontal swing plane and angle of attack (based on vertical plane angle)on the reports?

Last edited:
So are you saying that the path number it gives should then be adjusted according to the angle of attack which in turn is adjusted according to vertical plane to get the additional 'out' component?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So are you saying that the path number it gives should then be adjusted according to the angle of attack which in turn is adjusted according to vertical plane to get the additional 'out' component?

No.

It HAS ALL THE DATA FIGURED IN, but—for example—3.5° inside-out is a 2D number.

Got it?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So if two players have the same horizontal swing plane and attack angles, but one is on a 65* vert sw plane and the other is a 55* vert sw plane, their true paths are already adjusted and will be very different.

Example Numbers for...

Driver Draw

Aim 35 yards (8°) right at 250 yards.

Swing (Plane Line) down this "Aim Line."

Hit the ball 4° on the way up.

That will make your path ~4° inside-out.

Have the Clubface 2° open.

The ball will start about 11 yards to the right and curve left almost perfectly to the middle of the fairway.

So, to hit an 11 yard fade (with the same 4* upward strike), you would have to aim 8* left, with a clubface that's 2* closed?

BTW, how do you make the "degree" sign, lol

Example Numbers for...

Driver Draw

The ball will start about 11 yards to the right and curve left almost perfectly to the middle of the fairway.

Would this be close to that pic of your student Adam at Pebble?

ggsjpc

New
Example Numbers for...

Driver Draw

This is inside out relative to the middle of the fairway but outside in relative to the aim line, right?

Example Numbers for...

Driver Draw

Let's say that the middle of the fairway is my original target, I aim now my whole body(aim line) 35 yards right to 2nd target right side of the fairway, swing on plane, the ball start about 11 yards to the right and curve left almost perfectly to the middle of the fairway.
Can I say I hit a pull draw (Sam Snead) relatively to my 2nd target?

adamcurve.jpg

SD1 Pattern is also a pull draw shot? altough I'm aiming only 1yard to the right? or is it swing 1 yard to right meaning bent the plane line to the right?

By the way considering my shot is a baby fade (a cut...ok almost a slice), and I feel like playing a draw and somehow amazingly my clubface is 5° open instead of 2° with my aim line 35 yards right, I might as well go play a game of marbles, that ball is OB, that's why I'm NOT playing a draw...and I aim 30 Yards...left

Last edited:
Hitting Up/Left and Staying on Plane

Example Numbers for...

Driver Draw

If the ball is forward enough of low point to get the 4 degs (or more) of up, it feels like my tendency is to want to bend the plane line a bit to the right in order to keep the path inside-out.

I guess I'm not used to the up also being so left. It feels as though I'm really outside-in because the path has "turned the corner" past low point. Anybody else get this feel, and is it something to just get used to? :confused:

If I brought the ball position closer to low point, I think it would be easier to swing on plane. How far forward of low point should the ball be to do this and still get the correct true path?:confused:

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this and just need to follow the YBR and let this dictate the actual impact alignments?:eek: Any insights appreciated--cheers.

This is great information.

I am confused about one detail. All things being equal it would seem that you swing left with higher lofted clubs because the D plane is making the true path in to out. The clubface must be open to start the ball toward the target. At the other extreme, if you hit up on a driver you have to aim right and have a clubface closed to the true path.

My question is how does this information affect your grip at setup. On a steep sand wedge should I set up with a weak grip so I will have an open clubface? With a driver should I set up with a stronger grip?

If I don't weaken or strengthen my grip at setup, depending on which club I am hitting, do I manipulate my hands at impact to hit with the appropriately open clubface (wedge) or closed clubface (driver)?

Thanks.

Thanks dannyc. Brian says he uses a stronger grip with the driver and a weaker grip with high lofted irons. That's how I thought it must work.

I'm sure we'll be hearing more from Brian down the road on how to put this into practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.