jimmy mclean on perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Hogan like the pre-secret swing better. I seen on a video where he said exactly that he swung it better before the accident and he would never be able to swing it that good again. I guess you can't believe what you hear right from the Man himself, right Dariusz.

"The secret" was before the accident, right? Secret, great play, accident, great (but limited) play?

footwedge

"The secret" was before the accident, right? Secret, great play, accident, great (but limited) play?

Yes it should have read pre-accident, my mistake. Dariusz likes to put words into Hogan's mouth from other threads he has posted, I was been sarcastic as usual...lol.

Dariusz J.

Darius, I think you add a lot to the forum and I'm glad you're here.

Thank you. Really appreciate it.

Dariusz likes to put words into Hogan's mouth from other threads he has posted, I was been sarcastic as usual...lol.

Interesting...find examples where I put words into Hogan's mouth, please. It appeared that you have just done it mistaking pre-secret with pre-accident.

Cheers

Feel is real with the top players in the world as they have to feel the mechanics to actually do them

Okay.

So when a certain current PGA Tour player talks to me about not getting underplane and says that he counters that by feeling like he's coming over the top even though he knows in reality he doesn't.....the 'feel is real?'

When a tour player tells me that they are working on not getting laid off at the top of the swing by feeling like they are 'sticking their thumbs in their right ear at the top of the swing', the 'feel is real?'

I'd like to see that.

3JACK

oldpro

New
Okay.

So when a certain current PGA Tour player talks to me about not getting underplane and says that he counters that by feeling like he's coming over the top even though he knows in reality he doesn't.....the 'feel is real?'

When a tour player tells me that they are working on not getting laid off at the top of the swing by feeling like they are 'sticking their thumbs in their right ear at the top of the swing', the 'feel is real?'

I'd like to see that.

3JACK

Tell me the names of these "TOURING PROS" who you say you teach.

Last edited:
I was watching an old video by Brian and he talks about a lesson he gave to David Toms in 1997 in Dallas when Toms was hooking 9i's. He said that he tried to get David to move his hips to the right on the backswing. David replied that the "feel" felt very strange but Brian replied to David that "you used to do this before I conventionalized you so to speak."

I think touring pros can lose "feel" of what they used to to.

Last edited:

ej20

New
Feel and real are quite often not the same particularly when it comes to the golf swing.It is one of the reasons why it is such a hard game to master.

Even Hogan said that you needed to reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will probably come close to having the perfect swing.Why would he say such a thing?I believe it was from his book "Power Golf".

oldpro

New
I was watching an old video by Brian and he talks about a lesson he gave to David Toms in 1997 in Dallas when Toms was hooking 9i's. He said that he tried to get David to move his hips to the right on the backswing. David replied that the "feel" felt very strange but Brian replied to David that "you used to do this before I conventionalized you so to speak."

I think touring pros can lose "feel" of what they used to to.

Of course they do as they are as human as you are. My dick doesn't feel the same at 75 as it did at 22 either LOL

footwedge

Thank you. Really appreciate it.

Interesting...find examples where I put words into Hogan's mouth, please. It appeared that you have just done it mistaking pre-secret with pre-accident.

Cheers

I admit my mistakes. Is that your last post? Anything you say that didn't come from Hogan himself is speculation and if I wanted to waste more time that I can never get back I'm sure I could find many examples. Cheers.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

I admit my mistakes. Is that your last post? Anything you say that didn't come from Hogan himself is speculation and if I wanted to waste more time that I can never get back I'm sure I could find many examples. Cheers.

There is a difference between expressing one's opinions or theories (which I do quite often) and putting them explicite into Hogan's mouth (which I never do). I may use Hogan's motion as an example to illustrate my points but never false the reality saying that Hogan said what he did not.
Lastly, if one accuses someone of something and, while being asked to prove these accusations, says it's a waste of time - the only waste of time is discussion with such a person.

Cheers

footwedge

There is a difference between expressing one's opinions or theories (which I do quite often) and putting them explicite into Hogan's mouth (which I never do). I may use Hogan's motion as an example to illustrate my points but never false the reality saying that Hogan said what he did not.
Lastly, if one accuses someone of something and, while being asked to prove these accusations, says it's a waste of time - the only waste of time is discussion with such a person.

Cheers

Finally your last post. Cheers. Oh! you use Hogan for the explicit reason of piggybacking on a great player to make your "theories and opinions seem like they have credibility, Dariusz say's this and to prove him right, look at Hogan he does what Dariusz say's. Your my hero Dariusz ,I know the "secret" now to explaining the swing ,drink vodka and b.s., if you throw enough some might stick. Unfortunately it sticks on you but it does look good on you. Cheers!

dbl

New
What in the world? Darius isn't as bad as all that.

D, do post what you want. If it doesn't fit or jibe with other people's understandings and/or science, I'm sure that can be explored.

Okay.

I'd like to see that.

3JACK

That might actually move this thread back on topic.

If that's the explanation of why "feel is not real" - and I don't like the phrase - then the explanation only makes sense to me if the player is trying to make a model, or a method-type swing. A picture perfect swing, if you like, in terms of Jim Mclean's argument.

On the other hand, if you buy into the idea that golf is basically an exercise in adjustment, that fixes are a case of finding a clubface that is a little more open at impact, or a path that is a little more leftward through the ball, then Richie's examples make perfect sense to me and are consistent with feel being "real". Who cares, if you're not chasing a picture perfect swing, that a good path into the ball feels like an OTT move? Surely what matters is the knowledge, based on understanding ballflight, that you're underplane and need to make a downswing that feels (in relative terms) more "outside". That, to me, isn't a conflict and it isn't proof that, in any important sense, "feel is not real".

What's also interesting, however you try to dress it up and whether or not these real, accomplished players think or say that they "like the concept" of learning feel from mechanics, is that they actually did the opposite. As Jim might say, where are the great players that have actually become great by doing it? And, as far as I'm concerned, a guy who made it as an elite amateur player or got to the tour before working with a TGM-influenced coach or anyone else who preaches "feel from mechanics" is NOT a good counter-example.

What's also interesting, however you try to dress it up and whether or not these real, accomplished players think or say that they "like the concept" of learning feel from mechanics, is that they actually did the opposite. As Jim might say, where are the great players that have actually become great by doing it? And, as far as I'm concerned, a guy who made it as an elite amateur player or got to the tour before working with a TGM-influenced coach or anyone else who preaches "feel from mechanics" is NOT a good counter-example.

I'd be willing to bet that Brian has taught feel from mechanics a time or two to David Toms.

The argument that I've seen from Brian towards TGM has nothing to do with the concept of learning 'feel from mechanics', but what the actual mechanics and the science behind those specific mechanics.'

I know Nicklaus has said that he 'feels' like he keeps his head still.

Does he?

And he was pretty darn good.

Hogan said that he feels like he just 'turns the hips in the downswing.'

Did he?

Pretty darn good player, IMO.

I think if we can agree 'there's no one pattern to teach a golfer' than we should be able to agree that there's no one feel that works for a golfer.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.