Kevin Shields - PGA National Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Great playing, Kevin. Awesome strokes on both 17 and 18.

I'm still wondering what that damn ball did on 17 - don't think I've ever seen a ball hit the back of the cup and then horseshoe out. I need to see a replay.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Nobody likes to lose. But in golf, everyone loses more than they win. Hogan, Jones, Nicklaus, Woods all lost more than they won. So, you have to try to have something to shoot for when you are in a tournament. Top 10, make the cut, etc. In this PGA National Championship at the old Fort Ord, in Seaside, California, that something was a lot more obvious—the top 20 players qualify for the PGA.

Kevin Shields is an extremely good player. In the 30 years I have been teaching, and have literally seen them all, he is as close to being a PGA Tour player as you can be. There are many reasons why he was nobody's favorite to win this National Championship, but I knew he had a chance to contend. And he did.

T6 with one to play, coming off of "Pro-Ams and Scrambles" as he so colorfully said in his post-round, green side interview on TV.

He has improved every year in the six years we have worked on his game. In a game you can literally improve until your mid-50's, Kevin will play in many big events and for sure in some majors.

Speaking with confidence for all of us at the Manzella Academy, and this website, we could be prouder of a great guy and awesome player, our own Kevin Shields.

stealing a saying my dad used to say about baseball:

The greatest thing about this game is, tomorrow is a new day and a new game.

Great showing Kevin!

Great showing Kevin, was awesome to have my boss text me that you were in a playoff for a spot in the PGA. Sorry it didn't work out but fantastic showing nonetheless.

Speaking with confidence for all of us at the Manzella Academy, and this website, we could be prouder of a great guy and awesome player, our own Kevin Shields.

Proud of the accomplishment is an understatement. I love that Brian has an ability to coach, teach at various levels to such a high standard that lends itself to an acheivement that is at a higher level than expected.

Well said Brian. It was awesome to watch and proudly root for KS today. A guy whom I have never met but who has helped my game immensely. Here's to better things to come Kevin.

ZAP

New
What Brian said......X2
Normally this tournament would go right past me and I would not even care about it. I kept checking the web site multiple times over the last few days. It was a fun ride. Wish it could continue.

Great playing Kevin! It was fun watching and keeping track of you this week.
It would have been great to watch you play in the PGA. Got pretty close!!

As Brian said, with the swing you have, there's no doubt you will play in big
events in the future. Well done!

That putt on 17. Unreal, I spit my diet dew across the bar at my home course, while watching with about 10 (newly christened today) Shields fans. So freaking rude.

I turned several people into Kevin fans this week. They thought he was a close friend of mine, the way I was constantly checking the tourney scores and watching the DVR'd telecast, so they pulled for him all week. I finally told my youngest son, "Kevin is a friend of mine; I just haven't met him ... yet."

Great playing, Kevin. Proud of ya!

I couldn't tell for sure but it looked like the shot into the green on the playoff hole was about a yard left from catching the front of the green and rolling up to the pin.

Kevin, awesome week. It was great to follow your scores hole by hole all week and watch you battle to the end. It takes balls to tee it up with 311 other great players and you played great! Congratulations!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I appreciate all the kind words, I really do. The course was very difficult and the wind was up all day. I didn't hit it great but I've shot under par with similar ball striking. I just have simply forgotten how to putt. Also, my battle with the extreme right to right shot will always cloud my judgement under the gun. Anyone who plays seriously knows if you are afraid of a certain miss you'll always over correct.

But still, how the hell does that putt on 17 stay out?

Status
Not open for further replies.