Michelle Wie and Randy Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
self-mastery said:
Have you ever played football and not 2 hand tackle with wimpy wimps. You obvious don't know how agile most lineman have to be to play pro ball. Do you think that John Daly and the Walrus are more athletic than 300lb'er Warren Sapp??

Golf is wimpy.

I think that tennis is the most difficult non-team sport excluding MMA style fighting events.
do you think sap would be trained enough to do what daly does? two different types of training. I would bet sap could not walk the course for five hours in the heat, standing on his feet the whole time, and swinging the club 70 times or so. dont just pick apart half of one of the points i made and try to win a discussion or debate that way. They are all athletes and have the physical ability to exert the effort that their choosen sport demands. Do you think someone like daly could not be trained to play football

shootin4par said:
do you think sap would be trained enough to do what daly does? two different types of training. I would bet sap could not walk the course for five hours in the heat, standing on his feet the whole time, and swinging the club 70 times or so. dont just pick apart half of one of the points i made and try to win a discussion or debate that way. They are all athletes and have the physical ability to exert the effort that their choosen sport demands. Do you think someone like daly could not be trained to play football

BTW this is not a debate. Stop acting like a wimpy whiney golfer.

I doubt that daily has the natural athleticism to play pro football, so NO he could not be trained to do what Sapp does on the field. His place during a football game is chugging beers, eat junk food, and gambling on the game.

Someone on here claimed that Tom Kite could out walk Michael Jordan on the golf course. How silly... NBA players are like the 2nd most fit professional athletes behind soccer players, and he wants use to believe that a guy that played shooting guard and ran up and down the court would have a problem walkinga golf course....GET REAL.

Let's add that warren SAP is 300lbs of mostly muscle.

If golf is a sport I suppose walking is one as well. My mother and her 6o year old gal pals are athletes, too. Golf is the least physically demanding "sport." Hell baseball players have to run around the field to catch balls and steal bases. Golfers address the ball without a care in the world, no one is going to slide your ball over like a pitcher slides a curve ball to make you miss. Any healthy adult can walk 18 holes. How many of us can play full court basketball and deal with the training that ball players go through. Anyone want to run suicides??? I wonder how many golfers could last 1 quarter playing little league basket ball?

Golf is a passive game that doesn't take much physical exertion to play. Golfers worry about their mental game and the crowd disturbing them LOL. I hate grouping tennis (a real sport) with golf, but golf and tennis are the only "sports" where you need everyone to be quiet so that you can play your game. Is it really that serious, hit the ball and walk your out of shape arse down the fairway. I swear that next year I'm going to start the wave at the bellsouth and watch all the golfers cry and complain that they can't play this way...

I bet that golf has more fat "athletes" than any other "sport."

Here are my imperatives for a sport:

You have to have real competition: opponents that can actually effect your play. When tiger birdies the 18 hole making him -20 under par and you are -19 under, he didn't really cause you to lose. Causing you to lose would consist of kicking your ball off the tee, tackling you as you start your pre-shot routine, or swatting your ball out of the air.

Sports should be actively dynamic. Oh wow you can swing a 48 inch driver 120 mph... how hard is that really with good technique. How many people can throw a 98 mph fastball, there's no TGM for learning that, how about a book that teaches you to run like Michael Johnson. Golf is more dependent on skill than raw athletic talent.

You can't call guys like Daly or Stadler athletes. Come on let's get real.
Where is the Big Wiesy of the NFL, NBA, NHA, MLB. If a boney arse 16 year old w/ a flat booty can play your game, you are not participating in a real "sport." Maybe the NBA should allow a WNBA chick to play.

Running, jumping, throwing, physically preventing your opponents is sports-like. Sports take anaerobic capacity.

Golf is more like throwing darts.

Last edited:

rundmc

Banned
self-mastery said:
Someone on here claimed that Tom Kite could out walk Michael Jordan on the golf course. How silly... NBA players are like the 2nd most fit professional athletes behind soccer players, and he wants use to believe that a guy that played shooting guard and ran up and down the court would have a problem walkinga golf course....GET REAL.

Tom Kite said it. Not me. So what if golf ain't a sport. Who gives a crap.

sumo wrestlers are gifted fat athletes who are simply rice eating machines disguised as dart throwers...

I play baskeball as much as golf. And this debate has cropped up on the court whether golf is truly a sport. I just smile thinking of the courses that I walk and wonder if these athletes have any idea of the stamina required to maintain a game. And those that know just smile. The body (no matter its condition) must adjust to the demand placed upon it to perform at an optimal level. Walk four days in a row in sweltering heat, or try walking one round in the Northwest in below 40 degrees conditions. Not as easy as it sounds...

golf, bowling, football, baseball, basketball, soccer, auto racing...to the degree of physcal conditioning required, the mental aspect still outweighs all.

a sport or not, it is what it is...

Self mastery, ive never heard anyone speak so much shit in my 16 years of being alive!

If you have/ ever have kids god help them! If they ever have a dream to be a pro golfer or a dream to a superstar in any other sport they wont have a chance with a dad who is as negative thinker as you!

You always seem to put down golf!! Why the hell are you playing it?

YOU WIMP!

Ricky1990 said:
Self mastery, ive never heard anyone speak so much shit in my 16 years of being alive!

If you have/ ever have kids god help them! If they ever have a dream to be a pro golfer or a dream to a superstar in any other sport they wont have a chance with a dad who is as negative thinker as you!

You always seem to put down golf!! Why the hell are you playing it?

YOU WIMP!

LOL...

If I ever have kids and they want to play golf I would kick them out of the house and call them a sissy, OR just make sure that they aren't a light hitting wales boys wimpy jr golfer with a leaky swing and a 230yd drive. JK

Last edited:
Well you will never have HAPPY Kids then will you! Who will always be doing something in life which they dont want to do!

And how can you call golf NOT A SPORT? Did anyone ever say a SPORT HAS TO BE SOMETHING WITH VERY ATHLETIC PEOPLE? Did anyone ever say a sport has to be something where there is dump tackles and bone crunching moments? No they didnt, there is obviously different types of sports which dont just involve lean and mean athletes, some sports involve the mind more than others and so on.

BTW 230yd drive change that to 280 average! Leaky swing ? change that to a tour standerd swing www.putfile.com/rickyharris then we might be getting somewhere!

self-mastery said:
Golf is wimpy.

I think that tennis is the most difficult non-team sport excluding MMA style fighting events.

Physically....it is not something where you have to sacrifice the body....but you need physical ability....look at the best....they've got somethin goin on.

Golf's big challenge is in self improvement and playing under pressure. You have to have it ALL to be the best. (just like anything really....but golf is different for some reason....can't even explain why but I think it is)

C'mon....you know that.

The game may be "wimpy" in a physical sense.....but I bet Tiger could run a pretty smokin 100m.....and to call all golfers wimps (don't think you did tho) would just be stupid.

And really.....

There's nothing wimpy about being in the middle of a big field....with milions of people watching everything you do.....millions on the line.....all the time in the world to think about it.....and having enough composure to pull it off.

That stuff takes balls man. (but really a lot more than that)

self-mastery said:
Sports should be actively dynamic. Oh wow you can swing a 48 inch driver 120 mph... how hard is that really with good technique.

Wow that was a long post to read...

Anyway......a lot of people couldn't swing 120mph if they tried.

And no one uses a 48 inch driver playing normal tournament golf.

rundmc

Banned
Ricky1990 said:
Well you will never have HAPPY Kids then will you! Who will always be doing something in life which they dont want to do!

And how can you call golf NOT A SPORT? Did anyone ever say a SPORT HAS TO BE SOMETHING WITH VERY ATHLETIC PEOPLE? Did anyone ever say a sport has to be something where there is dump tackles and bone crunching moments? No they didnt, there is obviously different types of sports which dont just involve lean and mean athletes, some sports involve the mind more than others and so on.

BTW 230yd drive change that to 280 average! Leaky swing ? change that to a tour standerd swing www.putfile.com/rickyharris then we might be getting somewhere!
Nice move . . . are you any kin to Fred Kruger?

Last edited:

rundmc

Banned
Ricky1990 said:
Whos he? lol!

Probably befo your time dawg . . . I was just messin' with you on your sweater. Nice swing!

sam_fred_k_1.jpg

84 Lumber Classic is done with Wie...

...well, for that matter, no one will be back as the 84 folds its tent...:D

As an admirer of Michelle, I have found the novelty has worn thin to nearly gone as she continues to fight the fight with the men's tour. She is 16, impressively learning a bunch on how to compete against the best, but failing miserably in the scoring department.

The exposure Michelle s receiving at this age probably far exceeds what her counterpart phenom, Tiger went throught at the same age. And maybe this will better prepare her to compete when she can focus on her golf full time. I do hope she will prevail. But for now, I think it would be a flip of a coin to watch Michelle compete in another men's tournamet or a rerun of Scooby Doo meets the Harlem Globetrotters.

Still, there's probably a little left in the tank for corporate sponsorhip in a few more events and I believe the public wants to see more of her. And as we all know corporations are shelling out a lot of dough for youngsters based on "potential". And we are waiting for Michelle to turn it loose.

For me, heads I watch...

Wie promises to keep trying despite another bad tournament against the men

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
September 15, 2006

AP - Sep 15, 6:51 pm EDT
More Photos

FARMINGTON, Pa. (AP) -- She was playing in the 84 Lumber Classic and, for a while Friday, it appeared Michelle Wie might shoot an 84.

Wie's drives constantly landed short of the big-hitting pros, forcing her to use long irons on her second shots when the men were pulling out 7-irons. Her putts wouldn't drop, either, during a second-round 81 -- even those routine 4- to 6-footers most on tour can sink by the dozens.

She keeps talking a good game when opposing the guys, but keeps playing a mediocre one. No wonder some of the PGA Tour players, polite and patient with her until now, are questioning what she's doing playing against men when she doesn't have the game for it. At least not yet.

"She's certainly not scaring anybody around here," said Ryder Cup team member Scott Verplank, who also missed the cut. "To be honest, I didn't even know she was here."

Wie, who turns 17 next month, tried and failed for a sixth time in her short career to make the cut in PGA Tour event, something no woman has done since Babe Didrikson Zaharias in 1945. But while Wie came close a couple of times, she looked badly out of place Friday during her second last-place finish in as many weeks against men.

Her rounds of 77 and 81 left her 13 shots away from making the cut and a whopping 23 shots behind co-leaders Ryan Moore and Ben Curtis, who were at 9-under 135. That's a deficit normally associated with a club pro who wrangles an exemption to go against the big names.

"I'm not going to give up," Wie said. "I feel like I'm progressing, I'm getting better, even though my score didn't show it."

But why keep doing it when she's not even coming close? She also finished last a week ago in the European Masters, with scores of 77 and 78. She had all of one birdie in 72 holes the last two weeks, that coming Friday on the par-4 16th during a round that included a double bogey and eight bogeys.

"I just had a bad two weeks, that's it. No more, no less," she said. "I feel like I'm getting better and better. my game is progressing, my shots are actually going to the fairway now. My shots are feeling solid."

However, it appears she is judging her game against only her own performances, not those of the men she aspires to emulate. As Verplank pointed out Friday, not even Tiger Woods regularly tried to beat the men when he was 16.

"Obviously, she's some sort of phenom being a 16-year-old girl who can play like she can, but honestly there's not a male or female in the world who can compete out here at that age," Verplank said. "I'm sure there are some very fine 16-year-old boys who can play, but it would be awful hard for them to come out here and make a scratch.

"If I was her adviser, I would tell her to go kick all the ladies' tails around for about four years and if she wants to try again when she's 20, 21 and grown up more, and maybe a better player, come on back."

That kind of talk doesn't discourage Wie, who promises to keep trying to beat the men -- as long, of course, as she gets the three or so sponsor exemptions a year she needs to compete. She got into the 84 Lumber field because of her close friendship with the lumber chain's founder, Joe Hardy, and her image was splashed on virtually every piece of promotional material distributed by the tournament.

She won't return to the 84 next year, as the tournament will fold after this weekend.

Despite being uncommonly mature for her age, she occasionally flashes the naivete of youth. She talks about making an adjustment here, a tweak there, when it seems evident that almost every part of her game needs upgrading to compete against the world's best male golfers.

"I definitely look forward to the next time and just kind of assess what went wrong, what happened," she said. "I have a clear idea of what I have to work on and what I have to do to get better. I'm definitely going to hit the gym."

Wie, who returns to being a Hawaiian high school senior next week, insists she's not being pushed to keep playing against men by her father, swing coach David Leadbetter or her advisers.

"It's kind of like a teamwork kind of thing," she said. "We all put in our ideas, we all put in our opinions. But it all comes down to me. I have the final say on everything."

Moore's 5-under 67 matched the low round on a cloudy, cool day. Sean O'Hair, Charles Howell III and first-round leader Nicholas Thompson were two shots back, and five others were three back.

Three of the five Ryder Cup players made the cut: Chris DiMarco, David Toms and Brett Wetterich. Verplank and Chad Campbell did not. Returning champion Jason Gore made the cut but was eight off the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.