pivot question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're honestly telling me that you don't see the arm slowing down as the club passes it around impact during the swing shown at the 41 second mark of the video (it does during all of the swings, but this one is at full speed, so no one can claim that the film was slowed around impact)? Sure it's accelerating from the top. No one is discounting that, so I hope that isn't your argument. But it isn't accelerating through the entire swing. That arm slows as it gets perpendicular to the ground.

Bigwill - I viewed the video several times frame by frame during the slow motion capture of the robot overlaying the human golfer. I agree, at near impact position the robot arm clearly appears to have a slower angular velocity than during the downswing. Could be the oblique camera angle but I doubt it.

Even if it didn't, I'm not sure what it proves as I would think the robot could provide much more torque than a human golfer - maybe it would be the goal to shoot for but rarely (if ever) attained by real golfers.

nmgolfer

3D MACHINE

"Barometer - An ingenious instrument, which indicates what kind of weather we are having" ~ Ambrose Pierce

Let me guess... Like a barometer its a machine that tells you what someone did, but it can never tell you what they should do. That is where "MATH" enters the picture. The world is full of "piss poor imitators" and there are very few innovators. Inovation requires one to step out of the box, start anew from first principles and to "see" the big picture.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in making new landscapes but in having new eyes " ~ Marcel Proust

I have had it.

You have one "so called" math guy, nm, who is promoting a method from Mike Austin, who when he was alive had several folks on this forum take lessons from.

More than a couple of those folks, one at least a teaching professional himself, also took lessons from me and declared me the clearly better teacher.

Now I like Mr. Austin's swing, have reviewed it on this forum, read his book, thought it was better than most, and put it to bed.

After this post, he will be back on the library shelf.

We don't discuss other teachers on this site unless the are "public domain" world "famous," and even then, rarely.

Why?

I am tire of some of them, and their henchman using THIS site, THE #1 Alexa ranked NAMED instructor site on the web, as ADVERTISING!

Then we have Broco Billy promoting this other guy and his "method."

This is going to stop right here and now.

Nm, you apparently have no idea what a 3d machine—especially a really good one—is, or is capable of doing.

NO EARTHLY IDEA.

None.

Go buy one, or go take a lesson from someone who has one.

When Damon Lucas gets his $150,000 one, hopefully soon, will post up so much data, it will rock the golf world. The data is there, but no one is posting it up. We will.

This site is about to go to its 3.0 version, real soon, and I will work it much more often and harder, and these goofy threads, all awash with folks who have their heads in the sand, will never see the light of day.

BM:D

What about all the data from TPI? I've downloaded the info but only "skimmed" it. I thought it put to rest a lot of the "pivot doesn't slow" camp?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
What about all the data from TPI? I've downloaded the info but only "skimmed" it. I thought it put to rest a lot of the "pivot doesn't slow" camp?

You would think....

Anyhoo, we have nmgolfer, with his head in the sand.

Hey nm,

Have you ever SEEN a 3D machine?

No wait, why did I ask you, you have no IDEA AT ALL about what they are, how the measure, the differences between the light based and the wire based.

I hope folks who read this thread see the REASON I didn't want this to be about 1 single teacher's incorrect idea—there are 100's of these "world is flat" people out there.

Hey all you don't snap the chain people:

Why when do you only move 2/3rd of the way to a "orthodox" finish when you throw the club way out toward the target (I can throw it from my golf address maybe 60 yards)????

Don't hurt your brains...

I'll be waiting with the answer! :rolleyes:

You would think....

Anyhoo, we have nmgolfer, with his head in the sand.

Hey nm,

Have you ever SEEN a 3D machine?

No wait, why did I ask you, you have no IDEA AT ALL about what they are, how the measure, the differences between the light based and the wire based.

I hope folks who read this thread see the REASON I didn't want this to be about 1 single teacher's incorrect idea—there are 100's of these "world is flat" people out there.

Hey all you don't snap the chain people:

Why when do you only move 2/3rd of the way to a "orthodox" finish when you throw the club way out toward the target (I can throw it from my golf address maybe 60 yards)????

Don't hurt your brains...

I'll be waiting with the answer! :rolleyes:

My brains are hurting already. What really is Snapping The Kinetic Chain?
Is it when the pivot slows down to release the club? If this is the case would not everbody eventually do this at some point ?
If so maybe the arguement could be better resolved on Different ways and When to snap the chain and which is the Optimal way to snap the chain at different points in the downswing

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If so maybe the arguement could be better resolved on Different ways and When to snap the chain and which is the Optimal way to snap the chain at different points in the downswing

I'm wit'ya dude.

But there are YAHOOS that think that it doesn't or shouldn't snap.

And the worst part is—they are trying to SELL someone else's JUNK on my site.

It snaps. Answer my latest question, or come on my new show and debate me.

I don't quite get what you are asking??

Hi Brian,

I don't quite get what you are asking here, could you clarify a bit?

Btw, what's the story with your new show?

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

I don't quite get what you are asking here, could you clarify a bit?

Btw, what's the story with your new show?

if you stand from a golf-like posture and then throw golf club from a golf-like backswing, your arms will fly around to about shoulder high with you chest facing slightly right of the target or at the target.

they will not however fly all the way around till they get behind your head with your chest facing left of target and right shoulder closer target than left, as if you'd made a full swing.

this is because when you throw the club, you snap your kinetic chain and release the club at the optimum time. when you make a swing you snap your kinetic chain the same way, with your body slowing down to degree, but as you're not releasing hold of the club, the clubs momentum then pulls your arms and body around to a full finish, accelerating your body along the way. without a club this will not happen.

3D MACHINE

"Barometer - An ingenious instrument, which indicates what kind of weather we are having" ~ Ambrose Pierce

Let me guess... Like a barometer its a machine that tells you what someone did, but it can never tell you what they should do. That is where "MATH" enters the picture. The world is full of "piss poor imitators" and there are very few innovators. Inovation requires one to step out of the box, start anew from first principles and to "see" the big picture.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in making new landscapes but in having new eyes " ~ Marcel Proust

For such a "science based" guy, you are really approaching all of this in a very emotional and un-scientific way. Instead of finding out what a 3-D machine actually is, how it works, what it measures, etc. you are making the assumption it's "like a barometer".

Weren't you the one who insisted that we all should "figure it out for ourselves" rather than have someone explain it to us in child-like terms? Are you not yourself, in this situation, refusing to figure it out?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have waited a long time to post this but i think this is a good time...when i was a golf vacation i had an interesting experience. To preface this story, i usually hit a 3 wood between 255-265 off the tee (sometimes more if a hard fairway). So i go to line up to hit a 3 wood and draw it around a corner to let it roll down a hill for the second hole. I don't use glove these days and use a sweat blocker to keep my hands dry. However right before this tee shot i sprayed myself down with spray sun tan stuff and some got on my hands. Needless to say that when i went to swing the club, after i hit the ball the club literally slipped out of my hands and must have flown about 40-50 yards down the fairway (just a bit left).

Anyway want to take a guess at what happened to the shot?

Anyway want to take a guess at what happened to the shot?

Umm, your playing companions found the ball over the green, calculated the distance to be over 500 yards, and now you have a DVD showing how with the right sunscreen and "the Kobylinski Coppertone Super Secret Move" WE TOO CAN HIT THE BALL 500 yards!!! (And the DVD only costs $64.95.)

Tiger is said to be so afraid of all of us learning the Coppertone Super Secret Move that he may not even come back from knee surgery.

(Jim, just commenting on certain strains of golf video marketing out there that give good golf instruction a bad name from time to time.
I am going to guess the ball went 225.)

Last edited:
Umm, your playing companions found the ball over the green, calculated the distance to be over 500 yards, and now you have a DVD showing how with the right sunscreen and "the Kobylinski Coppertone Super Secret Move" WE TOO CAN HIT THE BALL 500 yards!!! (And the DVD only costs $64.95.)

Tiger is said to be so afraid of all of us learning the Coppertone Super Secret Move that he may not even come back from knee surgery.

(Jim, just commenting on certain strains of quackery out there that give good golf instruction a bad name from time to time.)

I am going to guess the ball went 225.

you cant talk about other teachers niblick :D

i bet it flew 270+

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

(Jim, just commenting on certain strains of golf video marketing out there that give good golf instruction a bad name from time to time.
I am going to guess the ball went 225.)

WOW! How did you know it was coppertone?! ;)

And it didn't go 225

Status
Not open for further replies.