Sergio Garcia & The Tumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Its like dropping a ball. The drop happens in an instant, done by the hands. What happens after the drop is longer a drop, but the result. The club is tumbled, done by the golfer. Then its all downhill from there, I wouldnt consider it to continue tumbling.

Its like dropping a ball. The drop happens in an instant, done by the hands. What happens after the drop is longer a drop, but the result. The club is tumbled, done by the golfer. Then its all downhill from there, I wouldnt consider it to continue tumbling.

Is there any trick to combining the closed counterfall move with the carry? I find that when I try the closed counterfall, I end up coming in under plane.

IMO, If your club is a bit laid off at the top of your swing, a closed counterfall may not help you without some serious tumble.

IMO, If your club is a bit laid off at the top of your swing, a closed counterfall may not help you without some serious tumble.

And what could be better than doing something to the maximum and getting straight shots? The best situation IMO. I love a "serious tumble"!

What kind of drills/ swing thought do you guys do or give students to accentuate the tumble?? I've been doing something similiar to what Brian showed on his video- I choke way,way up on the club- (right handed golfer) start from address with the butt of the club outside my left hip, make a backswing and then when I make my downswing I put the butt of the club outside my right hip. Any other thoughts or good drills?

I just watched Brian's video in Golf Digest regarding driving the ball like Nicklaus. He mentions Jack's flying right elbow as assisting him in keeping the club on a steeper path. With that in mind, is a flying elbow a possible cure to below plan syndrome?

I just watched Brian's video in Golf Digest regarding driving the ball like Nicklaus. He mentions Jack's flying right elbow as assisting him in keeping the club on a steeper path. With that in mind, is a flying elbow a possible cure to below plan syndrome?

Possibly. As long as you can control how the shaft is aligned all the way down post transition, anything can work. Flying right elbows TEND to cause across the line which, in my opinion, could promote a reverse tumble all the way down - hideous.

I play across the line and have to "time" my tumble. This is because coming out of transition I am still a bit steep. I then have to reverse tumble to place the shaft in a place where I can apply a squaring effect (tumble) on the shaft/clubface. This is the double move downswing that I abhor!

Last edited:
Possibly. As long as you can control how the shaft is aligned all the way down post transition, anything can work. Flying right elbows TEND to cause across the line which, in my opinion, could promote a reverse tumble all the way down - hideous.

I play across the line and have to "time" my tumble. This is because coming out of transition I am still a bit steep. I then have to reverse tumble to place the shaft in a place where I can apply a squaring effect (tumble) on the shaft/clubface. This is the double move downswing that I abhor!

I have a question.

You said coming out of transition you are a bit steep. Why not get rid of your flying right elbow and stop timing your tumble? IMO, and please keep in mind that I don't consider myself an expert when compared to my peers on this site, Jack flew his elbow to keep himself from going underplane. It was his way to carry it a little. If you're doing the same thing, and thinking closed counterfall but maybe carrying a little bit, but at the same time you're thinking get my hands/arms more verticle, you have to drop underplane because of your flying elbow? How does the club already being in front of your hands affect how you tumble during and post transition?

Last edited:

Do you get any straight lines?

Interesting, I have a tendency to get too flat on the backswing, put a lot of force on the butt of the club in transition and shallow out even more. I can get away with it with the mid irons and woods, but have to real careful or I'll flat out hit some hosel rockets with the short irons. I was thinking a flying elbow may get me steeper to start with, so I'd at least have more of a fighting chance.

Interesting, I have a tendency to get too flat on the backswing, put a lot of force on the butt of the club in transition and shallow out even more. I can get away with it with the mid irons and woods, but have to real careful or I'll flat out hit some hosel rockets with the short irons. I was thinking a flying elbow may get me steeper to start with, so I'd at least have more of a fighting chance.

My swing seems to be a lot like yours Tball, and if i don't arch my left wrist at impact, goodbye ball, straight to the right. I have to wonder, what does someone like Matt Kucher do with his flat swing that is so consistent? Even though i know what i need to do, it requires good timing. Maybe someone can explain what components work well with a flat swing.

Lindsey, what happens when you try to lay it off instead of across the line?

When I feel like I'm down the target line at the top I'm still across the line. I tried Softdraw, and if the stars align I end up with a nice high draw. Most of the time I end up underplane with this awful, slappy, unsolid, low hook or push. My stock shot used to be a strong grip drag left fade. From across the line when I try to tumble with a neutral grip I hit alot of pulls. Maybe from coming in steep like you said happens to you from across the line? I don't think I'm good enough for any double moves like that to straighten out. Hell I've been tinkering so much I can't hardly hit anything solid now. Except for the ground with the sole of my club as I smack it down in frustration.

Last edited:
Lindsey, what happens when you try to lay it off instead of across the line?

When I feel like I'm down the target line at the top I'm still across the line. I tried Softdraw, and if the stars align I end up with a nice high draw. Most of the time I end up underplane with this awful, slappy, unsolid, low hook or push. My stock shot used to be a strong grip drag left fade. From across the line when I try to tumble with a neutral grip I hit alot of pulls. Maybe from coming in steep like you said happens to you from across the line? I don't think I'm good enough for any double moves like that to straighten out. Hell I've been tinkering so much I can't hardly hit anything solid now. Except for the ground with the sole of my club as I smack it down in frustration.

Everything you mention is what I experience.

I hit lots of very good shots when I get the shaft in a left arm matching plane at the top. It's one of those things where I can get it grooving on the practice tee, but it may take years before it will appear on the first tee. Typically i will get the shaft positioned perfectly at the top and then I will have a poor hand path starting down. I have a difficult time controlling both the shaft and hand path when I lay it off. I just think it is an innate reaction I have to feeling the club shaft that open.

If your across the line you still have to control the hand path for "optimal" impact. If you let your hand path go horizontal from the top or even at the bottom, the shaft will suck back under plane.

There have been many great players who have found a way to play across the line. I look at Tom Watson, Zoeller, Carl Petterson all the time and even Nicklaus. They both had the ability to let the shaft back up a bit out of the steep transition then get back on top with tumble. I have almost, but not completely resigned myself to that double move. The other thing is that I am not convinced they (Watson, Zoeller, Petterson and Nicklaus) ever even feel the double move even though, in essence, that is what it is. To them, it probably feels like one move.

I guess in the end, as long as your able to tumble at some point whether continuously from the top or right at the last moment it does not matter.

Goddamn the tumble concept is great but it's illusive as f^ck for me.
I am right hand dominant left handed swinger that puts a ton of force across the shaft on the transition
so I know I am underplane and I just can't stop it. ARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.